[House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] The Teknomage - RM HOUSE 1x
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 26-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110
[House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] The Teknomage - RM HOUSE 1x

Just messing around on the RM1x. All sounds are from the RM1x. Live jammed into the R8.

Last edited by A.M; 26-02-2018 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: UN-Fixed Title

Advertisements

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] The Teknomage - RM HOUSE 1x.
Old 26-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
PPNDP
Radial Developer
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760
Re: [House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] File Under Sleaze - The Teknomage-RM HOUSE 1x

It sounds so good even when there is only kick! Synths sound great. I can really hear the huge difference between analog sound and stuff made on the computer. I can just listen and listen to this
Have it take long for you to figure out how to make music on rmx1?
I am the big fan now, watched almost all sets made on it on yt!
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] File Under Sleaze - The Teknomage-RM HOUSE 1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
It sounds so good even when there is only kick! Synths sound great. I can really hear the huge difference between analog sound and stuff made on the computer. I can just listen and listen to this
Have it take long for you to figure out how to make music on rmx1?
I am the big fan now, watched almost all sets made on it on yt!
Well it's not actually an analog. It's more a rompler and digital synth in one, with a midi note data bank, which records the midi data and sends it to the tone generator and out to other synths or sound modules. You can make up a loop, put it on overdub record and tweak and transpose, and it will record and save what you do. I usually put the kick in 1st in step mode, and then the rest is played in. As it doesn't auto quantize, it gives the music a more organic feel to it. It then went through the Zoom RFX 2200 for compression and then recorded.

As for how long it tacks to learn to make a track. Not that long, once you learn the basic functions. The real fun starts as you learn to use it more. That track was just a 16 bar loop with me, muting and un-muting the tracks I had set up, which was 8 out of a possible 16 for that part. I then have another 15 parts I can use for that user pattern.

Last edited by Dr. Sleaze; 27-02-2018 at 07:43 PM..

------------------
Old 26-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #4
PPNDP
Radial Developer
PPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant futurePPNDP has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760
Re: [House/Old Skool/Chigago-ish] The Teknomage - RM HOUSE 1x

Yeah, it is so good that even sound like analog
The sounds and drumkit are dope anyway!
I watched some tutorials, it looks that the learning process may be quite long!
Is it possible to plug there midi controller to record chords? I know that there are midi inputs but on some forum, someone struggled with that
PPNDP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPNDP View Post
Yeah, it is so good that even sound like analog
The sounds and drumkit are dope anyway!
I watched some tutorials, it looks that the learning process may be quite long!
Is it possible to plug there midi controller to record chords? I know that there are midi inputs but on some forum, someone struggled with that
Yes, but din cable not USB. I have my Korg Prophecy connected via midi, so even though the Prophecy is a mono Synth, if I do play a chord it will input midi data from all the keys pressed, as well as velocity and pitch bend.

------------------
Old 27-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

Had to have a listen to this : )

I really, really dig the telephone sample. Its so random and trippy and there is no context for it, which feels exactly like a lot of great old 90's dance tunes to me. I really like the energy that the piano brings after that.

As a DJ, I feel like the track would be interesting to mix. I'd probably do a long mix up until the telephone sample. I'd probably bring in a heavier percussion loop with more energy when the acid-ish bass comes back in. <----That is my commentary on the arrangement.

I could see probably doing a radio edit of this as well.

Sounds pretty good for being mixed all on a single, older groove box. A little exciter and compression ITB might really make this pop, but it really has a nice, purposeful feeling mud to it. I think something needs a bit of crunch of bite though. I'm not very familiar with the RMX1, so I don't know if it just sounds a little dull. I remember my ESX always being kind of harsh and bite-y.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

I did actually start of making a PsyTrance track, but after sequencing the 1st bar of kick and bass I decided I wasn't in the right mood, and being lazy couldn't be bothered to reset up. I just wound back the BPM from 140 to 122, so I basically started to do a Chicago House track, with a PsyTrance very short kick and triplet bass. That acid like bassline was the result. What's gives the bass that movement is a touch of crossover delay, which is also used on the tom that's hitting every second beat.

The phone sample I originally was going to just go off in the background, but then as I got near to the time to record the track I realized I didn't have breakdown/drop. I a bit of a fan of the stop start drop, which is usually a lot shorter, so I thought I'd use that phone sequence.
The piano is a lofi piano. I had the loop up to 4 or 8 bars letting loop. I spent 20 minutes just jamming to the loop. Then, when I came to record it, I fudged it up slightly, but as it didn't sound too bad I left it at that.

That dull sound was kind of intentional, but the RM1x can sound a bit that way, which is way a lot of people slate them, but if you know what you're doing, you can make it brighter with just the machine itself (check the guy on youtube with the pink and black gloves). I could have brightened it up in the R8, but it just lost that sound it has now. I was going for that mid 80's Chicago House sound, that I was into listening to back then. I had a bunch of tapes back then, and a lot of it had that dull sound but were brightened up by the hats and rides, which I left out of the track. I wanted a slight sleaziness to it.

------------------
Old 27-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

Interesting stuff. I like the final sound, really. I'm pretty blunt when it comes to something I think isn't working. I also love that this wandered from PsyTrance to old school Chicago House! Weird transitions like that often yield wonderful results.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist

I did it over 2 evenings. One of tracks that just came together. I'm now working on that Hard House track that I started before the one synth challenge. Spent the evening putting in the correct drum sounds. Just have to tweak the MS 20 and Boss MD-2 to get the acid lines sounding right and then break out the old JV 1010 for some hoover action. Then once that's done, maybe some more Chicago House.

Advertisements

------------------