Listening suggestions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #21
cursedc
Banned
cursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond repute
West Seattle, Washington
MC Status: 6368
Re: Listening suggestions

well fuck.....

Blackcell
Alter Der Ruine
W.A.S.T.E
Nurse With Wounds
COIL (I'm surprised no one said this)
Throbbing Gristle (Part 2 is a must have)
Pentalith
Meat Beat Manifesto
PIG
Foetus

I'm mixed up or something..

Advertisements

cursedc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
Nivekian
Learning The Ropes
Nivekian will become famous soon enough
West Coast to the Rockies
MC Status: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedc View Post
COIL (I'm surprised no one said this)
Coil's a hard one to place... they're all over the place.
The same can be said for MBM
Nivekian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #23
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivekian View Post
Coil's a hard one to place... they're all over the place.
The same can be said for MBM
True, true, true.

Meat Beat Manifesto is awesome by the way.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #24
cursedc
Banned
cursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond reputecursedc has a reputation beyond repute
West Seattle, Washington

MBM hits all sorts of places...to say they are industrial would be very wrong. At the center was a Avant Jazz album. In Dub...well...was dub music (know the MC that rapped on that album too, friend of mine!) and the new album is Dubstep (a lot of elements at least).

Coil hits all over the place, but for me they will always be Industrial. Their sound became more experimental synth/sampling and going into folk music a bit....but still too harsh for most hippies.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

I only own Satyricon...
Is that good or bad?

Nah! i like it, reminds of back then - but i have to be in the right mood, i`m not a huge fan of lyrics these days.

Which other albums would you recommend?

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
cursedc
Banned
West Seattle, Washington

yeah, i'm not a huge lyrics fan either.

Pig - Sinsation is actually quite good and his lyrics are just weird tabloids all cut up and shit...mostly about fucking and stuff.

Coil - How to destroy Angels is a great start in their collection, a tad bit pricey...

Throbbing Gristle - Part 2, the endless not. This gets into strange territory for industrial but these are the bastards that pioneered the genre and its very good stuff.

MDFMK - S/T is a good pop/industrial album and better than most of the electro/dance/rock/industrial stuff you'll hear.

12rounds - My Big Hero is an unknown british/punk/triphop/industrial group that fits really nicely in industrial play lists. I like their quirky melodies and guitar work (but its very sample heavy, like portishead)

Skinny Puppy - Cleanse, Fold, Manipulate and VIVIsectVI. Both these albums are a must, then sample their later catalog (which I'm a fan of of) and you'll see a huge difference in sound. Most people poo poo the newer stuff, but they just like living in the past.

Einsturzende Neubauten - Ende Neu is a different direction for the band, but its still very unconventional and crazy. There are some moody, dark songs on that ablum, and they mix well with the "industrial noises and unconventional instruments"
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #27
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031591
Thanked 7,283 Times in 4,525 Posts

Quote:
yeah, i'm not a huge lyrics fan either.

Pig - Sinsation is actually quite good and his lyrics are just weird tabloids all cut up and shit...mostly about fucking and stuff.

Coil - How to destroy Angels is a great start in their collection, a tad bit pricey...

Throbbing Gristle - Part 2, the endless not. This gets into strange territory for industrial but these are the bastards that pioneered the genre and its very good stuff.

MDFMK - S/T is a good pop/industrial album and better than most of the electro/dance/rock/industrial stuff you'll hear.

12rounds - My Big Hero is an unknown british/punk/triphop/industrial group that fits really nicely in industrial play lists. I like their quirky melodies and guitar work (but its very sample heavy, like portishead)

Skinny Puppy - Cleanse, Fold, Manipulate and VIVIsectVI. Both these albums are a must, then sample their later catalog (which I'm a fan of of) and you'll see a huge difference in sound. Most people poo poo the newer stuff, but they just like living in the past.

Einsturzende Neubauten - Ende Neu is a different direction for the band, but its still very unconventional and crazy. There are some moody, dark songs on that ablum, and they mix well with the "industrial noises and unconventional instruments"
sorry i meant specifically MBM, but thanks for the heads-up on this other stuff.

MDFMK...that`s one of the spin-offs from KMFDM right?
I heard their name mentioned A LOT on the live circuit.

I bought a couple of Neubauten LP`s last year, one was fairly recent and the other was a "best of" older stuff - i quite liked some of it but it didn`t make me lose my shit how i expected it to after all the years of hype - i guess there`s been a lot of catching up in recent years and so it doesn`t really have the same freah appeal it may once have had...?
Again some lyrics put me off and not being able to understand much german doesn`t help.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
cursedc
Banned
West Seattle, Washington

word to that.

here are some recommended (if you don't have already) MBM releases

Original Fire
99% Pure
Subliminal Sandwich
Actual Sounds and Voices
In Dub
RUOK
At The Center

that should get you started. most of that is post 1990. I know they have some stuff before that....but Jack Dangers is a terrible MC.....his rapping is just horrible to listen to.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
Nivekian
Learning The Ropes
Nivekian will become famous soon enough
West Coast to the Rockies
MC Status: 73

Quote:

Coil hits all over the place, but for me they will always be Industrial. Their sound became more experimental synth/sampling and going into folk music a bit....but still too harsh for most hippies.
I wouldn't be too sure of that, people call me a hippie all the time yet most of the bands I listen to are industrial. In fact, most of the 'hippies' I know like Skinny Puppy and Front 242, because it's music they grew up with... of course I'm referring to the 'neo-hippies' who are in their 30's...
Nivekian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #30
cursedc
Banned
West Seattle, Washington

What kind of hippie is that? I've never, ever met any hippies (from Seattle, so there are a lot of neo-hippie and old hippie types) that enjoyed Skinny Puppy or Front 242. I've know some that enjoyed David Tibet's work and some other experimental artists, but they never got into the more dance/rock/harshnoise industrial. You must be part of a rare breed of awesome hippies.

LOL, don't listen to me because I'm a nihilist and I care about nothing.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #31
unrequitedly
Learning The Ropes
unrequitedly is currently spamming hard
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 10

Velvet Acid Christ would also be a good addition to this thread. And LeŠther Strip.

Last edited by unrequitedly; 12-04-2008 at 07:47 PM..
unrequitedly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #32
PTV
Learning The Ropes
PTV will become famous soon enoughPTV will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 134

Cabaret Voltaire, SPK, Coil, Psychic TV, 23 Skidoo, NON, Nurse with Wound, Hafler Trio
PTV is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #33
VIVIsect
VIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud ofVIVIsect has much to be proud of
Novi Sad
MC Status: 1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrequitedly View Post
Velvet Acid Christ
Solely for their Hex Angel: Utopia/Dystopia and all samples on that album

Offtopic:

There is a nice relation between troma movies (b cinema) and industrial music, and it's(???) fans. How come no one sampled one of bruce campbell's lines?
VIVIsect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #34
cursedc
Banned
West Seattle, Washington

oh I know that lines from the evil dead have been sampled...trust me on that.
Old 18-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #35
acidpunk
Regular Freak
acidpunk is currently spamming hard
Ann Arbor

F***ING WOLF EYES! Check 'em out. They ain't quite industrial but it's harsh noise. They rule hardcore!
acidpunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #36
dark303
Learning The Ropes
dark303 is currently spamming hard

Megaptera
Navicon Torture Technologies
Troum
In Slaughter Natives
MZ.412
Inade
Raison D'etre
dark303 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #37
roten
Granular Poster
roten is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIsect View Post
Another addition to the thread
Chu Ishikawa
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

He wrote music for Tetsuo: The Ironman, Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer, Tokyo Fist, Bullet Ballet, Gemini, Dead or Alive ( triology, not the game related movie )...
Pounding metal percussion works, some synth bass with live bassist, sometimes there's a vocal even, pure win!

Listening reccomendation: Tetsio 1 & 2 OST, Tokyo Fist ( btw, you could as well watch both tetsuo movies if you can find them somwhere, i really really recomend those )
I bogught an der eisenrost dvd Time ago.

I you like it , look for and NEubauten dvd , from an japanese filmmaker

------------------
roten is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #38
Ganzfeld
Minor Glitch
Ganzfeld will become famous soon enough
Delmar, NY
MC Status: 59

Throbbing Gristle's 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Once you get past its dated and cheesy exterior, you'll hear it resonating with everything after it.
Ganzfeld is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Oval- Do While
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #39
cursedc
Banned
West Seattle, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidpunk View Post
F***ING WOLF EYES! Check 'em out. They ain't quite industrial but it's harsh noise. They rule hardcore!
Oh this fits quite nice as I'm a big fan of HARSH NOISE. Make a tad bit at times.

and who ever said VAC was a good addition is fucking dead wrong. that is some of the most trite (way worse than combichrist, at least his beats are ok) and bland as fuck industrial i've heard.

I hope I get to open for the stupid fuck and blow his shit out of the water. I'm a bit notorious for doing that.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 AM   #40
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065

EDIT: I am an idiot.

Last edited by MC Perm; 07-05-2008 at 03:30 AM..

Advertisements

MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote