Experimental lofi drum sample library, got one?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 23-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
8I6_B4LL5
Learning The Ropes
8I6_B4LL5 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Experimental lofi drum sample library, got one?

Yo, anyone come across any professional quality experimental lo fi drum samps? Stuff like Shlohmo used prior to the vacations EP. I realize that most of that was around the house recordings, but i don't really have the money for a nice mic right now. Much appreciated in advance.

Advertisements

8I6_B4LL5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639
Re: Experimental lofi drum sample library, got one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8I6_B4LL5 View Post
Yo, anyone come across any professional quality experimental lo fi drum samps? Stuff like Shlohmo used prior to the vacations EP. I realize that most of that was around the house recordings, but i don't really have the money for a nice mic right now. Much appreciated in advance.
Not to come off as a total dick, But I believe you could have a lot more fun designing your own. But, In any event here are a couple of links you may find useful.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533080
Thanked 6,843 Times in 4,872 Posts

Seems to be a bit of a paradox going on here, man. You want "pro quality" and "lo fi" and are worried about being able to buy a microphone?

I think that's just an excuse. I use recordings of percussive sounds off my smart phone all the time. Field recorders are dirt cheap these days (sure you can score a used one for well under 100USD).

Hell, record stuff in your studio with the microphone on your computer if you have one. Go to a 2nd hand store or discount store and get a cheap ass USB microphone.

Anything will do really. Buying a microphone means cables, pre-amps, etc. (assuming you've got none of that).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
ttime
Minor Glitch
ttime will become famous soon enough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Seems to be a bit of a paradox going on here, man. You want "pro quality" and "lo fi" and are worried about being able to buy a microphone?

I think that's just an excuse. I use recordings of percussive sounds off my smart phone all the time. Field recorders are dirt cheap these days (sure you can score a used one for well under 100USD).

Hell, record stuff in your studio with the microphone on your computer if you have one. Go to a 2nd hand store or discount store and get a cheap ass USB microphone.

Anything will do really. Buying a microphone means cables, pre-amps, etc. (assuming you've got none of that).
Do you have a recommendation for a condenser mic for this purpose?

------------------
ttime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282134
Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,746 Posts

how about try recording stuff with what youve got first to make you realise that quality isnt as important as you think it is right now

ive definitely seen a snippet of a video of shlomo making a beat and just recording stuff straight into his sp404 via the built in mic... that is definitely not a quality mic

an iphone will do

a very cheap condensor will do

try some stuff out first man

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282134
Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
how about try recording stuff with what youve got first to make you realise that quality isnt as important as you think it is right now

ive definitely seen a snippet of a video of shlomo making a beat and just recording stuff straight into his sp404 via the built in mic... that is definitely not a quality mic

an iphone will do

a very cheap condensor will do

try some stuff out first man
if you want cheap and brilliant quality though id get this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533080
Thanked 6,843 Times in 4,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttime View Post
Do you have a recommendation for a condenser mic for this purpose?
You don't need one IMO. I've never ever owned a microphone. I use a field recorder I payed 75USD for to record vocals, percussion, etc. It's fine. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to mic an amp with it and get a decent recording. The biggest issue is it clips pretty easily. With a mic you also have to worry about pre-amps, cords, etc. It's a giant hassle to record myself breaking some sticks in half to use as snare layers.

I don't even carry it around with me because I just use my galaxy s3 if I'm somewhere and I'm hearing something I want to record.

A few years ago I payed like twenty bucks for these very fancily recorded house hold percussion samples. There is zero practical difference between those samples and ones I have recorded myself. In fact, I like my own lazily recorded ones better because there are more artifacts in the recordings that give character to the tunes.

I have an acquaintance who spent a butt load of cash getting his studio rigged to record percussion instruments he already owned. So fancy pre-amps and microphones--there was zero improvement to his tunes after he started doing this. He isn't really a drummer so there wasn't any benefit of recording "live" loops for him. He blew like 1K for nothing and ended up loosing his ass selling it off once he realized it was a waste of money.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (23-09-2013)
Old 23-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Your laptop probably has a mic. Intended for skyping and voice recognition programs etc.
Normally.. it would suck for sampling purposes.. but for this it's perfect.
Record it into something like audacity and use the noise removal algorithm to isolate or extract the hiss. Play with that a bit too, you can get crazy artifacts with the effects in [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
(And some even stranger sounds by selecting odd parts of the soundwave that aren't just hiss/noise and clicking "get noise profile"), it's better for this purpose than most paid DAWs.
NOTE: You'll probably have trouble sampling a decent kick. I'd use one from an old drum machine sample pack of some sort, effected and mixed with these sounds. Because hi hat, random noise, click and snare samples come a lot easier with everything around the average house and a shitty mic.

Just distort/shape those sounds some more if they need it. And do the same thing to classic electronic drum sounds.
I found some toy drum kit/keyboard samples by googling around. Some people upload them to their blogs in packs for the novelty.
Plus any sort of bitcrusher/lo fi audio simulator.

EDIT:[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
.. This is the worst drum machine ever made.. it has to be. It's samples are therfore almost like a blank slate screw with them. That's what I do anyway.

One time I tried opening a bunch of different odd file extensions in soundwave editors (I think I used audacity). Most things don't work/are white noise when imported as raw data.. But strangely.. the weirdest noises are made by opening civilization 1 map files as audio files. And each file was kinda different.
I cannot explain why but maybe try it too? The sounds were lo fi glitches. Like DOS error sounds.
Some other files produced some results too but I forget what extension they were.

Last edited by ZheNhir; 23-09-2013 at 06:44 PM..

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
www.zhenhir.com ( streaming player )
| Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
///n||h||i||r/|>>/endspam
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Quote:
Yo, anyone come across any professional quality experimental lo fi drum samps?
You wot m8?

Just take any cleanly recorded sample from any pack. Apply bitcrushing/tape/vinyl/shortdelays/srreduction/whateverthefuck. Ta-fucking-dah!

Alternatively, sample stuff off of old vinyl. Always works. For everything.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
FunkMasterBrown (24-09-2013)
Old 24-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future

I've used everything else you've mentioned to make lo fi samples.. but i'd never heard of ssr for this. Makes so much sense.

Are there plugins/vsts that do it easily? Or are you actually talking about re-encoding the file with a really low sample rate reduction? I've delibarately [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
samples to lossy formats and back to lossless (rinse and repeat as many times as preferred) to create the artifacts that come with this.. is it quite the same thing? How would you do srreduction?

Also I was inspired by this thread to make [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
about importing raw data to Audacity as audio. Many sample-able glitches/noise.

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
Old 24-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Yo, anyone come across any professional quality experimental lo fi drum samps?
The notion of an "experimental" sample pack is a logical fallacy. If you want experimental sounds, experiment with sounds, and, like everyone else above said, you are asking for lo-fi sounds, but worrying about the fidelity of your recordings. None of this makes any sense at all.

Last edited by penguinoid; 24-09-2013 at 05:03 PM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
FunkMasterBrown (24-09-2013)
Old 24-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler

Everyone has pointed this out I feel like we could just give him some advice on how to make his own easily now we've covered that.

Advertisements

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
Ding from FWZD(AEF)