[Electro House] Voyidge - Bear Mace Vol. 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 16-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #1
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA
MC Status: 2023747
[Electro House] Voyidge - Bear Mace Vol. 2

Hi guys, I did the mixdown on this song but I'm kind of stumped. I'm trying to get it loud (this is exported with ~6db headroom), but when i do it sounds pretty flat. I've gone and added compression, eq, and overall gain adjustments to just about everything. Did I add too much? not enough? Is there anything that sticks out? Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
wipeout is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electro House] Voyidge - Bear Mace Vol. 2.
Old 17-04-2018, 12:37 AM   #2
OrphicChronicle
Regular Freak
OrphicChronicle will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: [Electro House] Voyidge - Bear Mace Vol. 2

alright man, great song by the way the main basslines modulation is fucking great and moves very well with the rhythm of the 4/4, regards to your question have you experimented with transient shapers/ and multiple limiters, because some limiters respond differently when pushed.
OrphicChronicle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
localspace
Analog Lurker
localspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of lightlocalspace is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

I think one of the reasons it's hard to get this loud is that it's kinda clean and digital sounding. Adding some saturation here and there, especially on the drums can help taming the peaks and give a fuller sound without eating up headroom.

It all sounds pretty centered as well. You could fill the spectrum up much, maybe push certain elements to the sides?

Another thing I'm using more and more is clippers (kclip). They limit more aggressively and transparently than limiters, and the clipping itself can add a nice bite actually. It would probably work well on your bassline and drums.
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
wipeout
Soundscaper
wipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MCwipeout is a savage MC
San Francisco, CA

Kclip looks cool. I'll get the trial and apply it to see how it goes. I also have Fabfilter pro-L, ozone 8 and I guess can try the ableton limiter as well. Thanks for that.

------------------
Old 19-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Smile_Price
Soundwave Mangler
Smile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to beholdSmile_Price is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Your sub frequencies are quite -loud- You did something right there. Make sure you take the low frequencies out of you snares, hats, leads etc. before you start saturating and pushing everything up any more. Good mix as it is apart from most everything being so soft. Nice bass movement and progression as well.

------------------
Smile_Price is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #6
TestSubjkt
IDMf's latest spammer
TestSubjkt is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I really like the bassline and the automation you have on there. I don't really like the intro but that's just me maybe. It feels too much old game or something, sorry can't explain it better. Everything sounds clean and that's one thing I really like about it.

I can't really help you with your loudness problems as I have the same problems lol.
TestSubjkt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #7
wipeout
Soundscaper
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Price View Post
Your sub frequencies are quite -loud- You did something right there. Make sure you take the low frequencies out of you snares, hats, leads etc. before you start saturating and pushing everything up any more. Good mix as it is apart from most everything being so soft. Nice bass movement and progression as well.
I actually watched a video about using 2 compressors on the sub bass at different points to really squash it, and then low cut sub 20hz and high cut everything else.

For the intro I use this drill synth that I've been questionable about. I'm going to work on finishing this up tonight so i'll experiment with subbing that out for something else or removing it entirely.

In terms of getting things louder I am going to experiment with this Ableton Glue Compressor tutorial that uses glue compression on drum bus and and master chain to add punch and saturation. I always have my trusty rusty Sausage Fattener if that doesnt do the trick!

Here's the tutorial: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.
I'll post results soon!

------------------
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #8
wipeout
Soundscaper
San Francisco, CA

So I really slammed everything to see how it would turn out after adding a lot of compression and tweaking the mix.

Original:

Mastered:

Advertisements

------------------