[Dubstep Hybrid] JKillz - Xenomorph
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 04-04-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
JKillz
Microknight
JKillz will become famous soon enoughJKillz will become famous soon enough
USA
MC Status: 110
[Dubstep Hybrid] JKillz - Xenomorph

Hey there,

I decided to create a Drumstep style hybrid. I went at it with tons of modulations and automations to run the show. It might be hard to imagine that the majority of the track is just 1 single sound that is twisted and mangled in various ways

Feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks for listening!

Advertisements

------------------
JKillz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dubstep Hybrid] JKillz - Xenomorph.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 753000
Re: [Dubstep Hybrid] JKillz - Xenomorph

Very ominous haha. Nice progression on the track with switching to different parts every now and then. I'd say maybe try to give the drums a bit more of a swinging groove

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Vault O)))
Quarter pounder McCunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 52110
Thanked 1,042 Times in 686 Posts

Must've been a shitload of mangling because I would have never guessed the origins. It's also worth mentioning that knowing so doesn't ruin the track in any way, at least as a third party.

Honestly it sounds quite a bit like a hip-hop track, due to the ambiance. I don't know if you missed your mark, but I think it sounds like a killer hip-hop track nonetheless. The modulations are insane and sound like they're almost bystanders to a potential vocal element. I also say so because the groove hardly changes, although the hat-work obviously does.

I don't have a lot more to add, but I think it's awesome. I might've heard something different than what you had in mind, but I like it for what it is and I feel like it has a lot of potential in the ways described.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Plague
Granular Poster
Plague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to behold
Munich
MC Status: 760

I like it, but usually not my type of music. Nice sounds.

------------------
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
glasscrow
Regular Freak
glasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the roughglasscrow is a jewel in the rough
Chicago, IL
MC Status: 260

I like it. I normally listen to music with a dark ambiance, so if other people think it sounds dark then maybe that's why I like it, lol.

I know this is a common sound in dubstep, but how did you make the sounds starting at about a minute in? I've always liked that sound but am a clueless noob. I'm especially curious since you said you basically modulated one sound for the entire song.
glasscrow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:33 AM   #6
JKillz
Microknight
USA

Thanks Chaotix, good call on the swing, something I need to start working on for sure

Vault O))) - That's a really cool take on this track that I never considered lol. Glad you liked it and thanks for sharing your take on it, it gives me some thoughts for future ideas now.

Plague - Thanks, I appreciate you checking it out and happy to hear you like it considering its not your type of music.

Last edited by JKillz; 06-04-2018 at 04:43 AM..

------------------
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #7
JKillz
Microknight
USA

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- Good question, I created a very basic Saw Wave and pitched it up 2 octaves. The real fun begins with the various Phase Modulation, Distortion and Filter LFO work that I used to shape the core sound. I created 2 clones of the core patch and run different filters and effects on them and variate how I sweep or oscillate them.

The hardest part is the mixing since the distorted saw has a wide frequency range, so I have to keep it under control with different layers on the mixer for EQ standard filtering (not the FX sounding types).

I hope that sheds a little light on the process, at least from a generic point.

Feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind, I enjoy sharing in the process.

Thanks!

------------------
Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

I love playing with phase and overdrive

Nice Dubstep track. Sounds a lot less cheesy than most of the Dubstep I've heard. I'm not much of a fan of the genre, but I like your track
devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
tvmcc
Soundscaper
tvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MCtvmcc is a savage MC
MC Status: 2522504

Fire! Hope you edit it further to include some rest, gain drops, not sure if the main verb has a full -240hp, kick and sd sent out to a separate channel with a transient shaper (something like no sustain, 16 attack? don't remember exact settings).

Also do you have your sub set up as a multi-band:

Eproms goto:

Quote:
Created an effects rack, to layer four parallel processing paths for the same 808(or sub-tvmcc edit).
The first is 100% dry
The second is Overdrive followed by a low-mid band pass EQ8
The third is Overdrive followed by a high-end band pass EQ8
The fourth is some Erosion (wide noise, 8khz, amount 200) OTT 40%, followed by a high pass filter. This is to add that top end sizzle. This can sound great by itself without the distortion stuff, especially if you need that midrange bandwidth for vocals to sit in your mix.

{{tvmcc edit -
Quote:
From the ableton manual:
The Erosion effect degrades the input signal by modulating a short delay with filtered noise or a sine wave. This adds noisy artifacts or aliasing/downsampling-like distortions that sound very digital.
Possible way to do this is create a chain of effects with signal flow:

INPUT/Transient/Sample/Instrument -> Filter -> Rin Mod/(or)Phaser -> Filter -> Mix|
-> (Direct signal) |-> Mix -> Output

// #END tvmcc edit }}

Label the chains LO / MID / HIGH / SIZZLE or whatever, and adjust the volumes of the various chains to dial it in. In the Glitch Mob remix I did several variations on the same processing with tweaks to the cutoff frequencies of the various band pass filters, and then arranged them in a call-and-response pattern. I did this all with stock Live plugins but you could certainly use Ohmicide to get something similar.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by tvmcc; 06-04-2018 at 07:44 PM..
tvmcc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
Deadly Rhythm
Analog Lurker
Deadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond reputeDeadly Rhythm has a reputation beyond repute
Norfolk
MC Status: 2060

This is awesome. Love the kick placements. Love the really heavy sections. All round pleasing to the ear, not at all abrasive. Maybe think of a more defined ending perhaps?

------------------
Herculean Verve Records Ltd. www.hvrv.co.uk
Deadly Rhythm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
T.I.L.I.D.I.N.
Regular Freak
T.I.L.I.D.I.N. is currently spamming hard
Berlin, Germany
MC Status: 10

As always JKILLZ ... Dope track ...
T.I.L.I.D.I.N. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
JKillz
Microknight
USA

Thanks devils_avocado, glad you liked it

tvmcc - These seem to be great tips and something I will look into. I made a sine sub with phasing to give it movement and bandpass filtering to strip it down. I use a stock compressor on it, not multi though. Thanks!

Deadly Rhythm - Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed it and can definitely look into the ending a bit more.

T.I.L.I.D.I.N. - I appreciate it, thanks

Advertisements

------------------