generative music with the Cirklon / Pyramid.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 24-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8960
generative music with the Cirklon / Pyramid.

I'm looking for a hardware version of what I do in Live, as close to it as I can get. These two seem to have the best random / chance stuff built in, which is what I need, but there's piss all videos on the subject. Considering that's what these two bits of kit are good at, it's surprising. Can anyone fill me in on using randomisation, maybe make a video (Pretty tall order) on the functions? I can't decide which will do what I need it to do best.

Advertisements

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560130
Thanked 7,384 Times in 5,221 Posts
Re: generative music with the Cirklon / Pyramid.

Look at the Elektron Digitakt as well. Not just a sequencer but will do some random type sequencing. From memory the Squarp Pyramid has the most options but I really dont know anymore.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Hmm...Trig Conditions in the Digitakt are not really random, its probability, but really cool nonetheless! IIRC the Pyramid offers pseudo random sequence options.
Btw, check out this video.

Quote:
Self evolving music using octatrack random lfo to generate midi data recorded in machinedrum. (more details below) At 7’30 I take control to make performance. Here is the process : First I designed a large bank (128 kits) of percussive sounds on the machinedrum. Then, a random waveform generate events at a very slow rate. Each event triggers a random sound from the bank and is recorded and quantized in a pattern. This way, the next time that pattern will be called, that sound will sound quantized. Each event calls random patterns, and triggers also a sampler that records the synthesizer at different speeds (like a tape recorder) and creates layers of sound. The result is a piece starting from very few elements with no rhythmics and as we go it densifies and the patterns emerges, the rhythm and musicality are stronger, while being very organic and unpredictable.

Last edited by Schnork; 26-03-2018 at 05:25 PM..

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
relic (26-03-2018)
Old 26-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

The Digitakt is nice, but not enough randomising that I can remember, but my memory is terrible

I read through the Cirklon manual again there yesterday. There's a lot of features I can do in Live. Like my random acid bass looks like this:

There's other shit going on, like double notes and slides, but it all seems possible with aux events:

Song FTS
AUX Rndmz note
Rnd mask gate
AUX Grab (For double notes)
Some randomised AUX sending to res

I also mod the filter envelope and frequency. If I can send MIDI CC to an instrument without triggering a note (Which I think I can), that solves running out of AUX rows.

------------------

Old 26-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is right, it really isn't randomization, its probability based. None of the Elektron machines will generate random notes. Sorry about that.

------------------
Old 26-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

No problem, I'm glad for any help on this.

------------------

Old 26-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The Zillion is a single track algorithmic MIDI sequencer based on the principles of the Triadex Muse. The Muse used counters and a shift register to generate more than a million musical melodies.
The Zillion expands on these ideas to add more features and functionality, providing a zillion possibilities for you to discover.
There are 16 operating modes. These include Playback, Tempo, Swing, Direction, Loop, Transpose, Scale, Scale Program, Melody, Rhythm, Velocity, Theme, Shift Register, MIDI OUT, MIDI IN, and Sync.
PLAYBACK
The Playback mode allows you to Stop, Start, Restart, Pause, and Manually Step through a sequence.
TEMPO
The Tempo mode allows you to set the rate the sequence will play back at. The tempo can range from 25-250 BPM. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one tempo to another, or can also be changed gradually.
SWING
Swing adds a human feel by delaying the start of every other note by a set percentage. The swing range is from 50-75%. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one swing value to another, or can also be changed gradually.
DIRECTION
Four consectutive directions can be entered to determine if the internal counters will increment or decrement, causing a pattern to play forwards or backwards each time a loop point is reached.
LOOP
A loop point will cause the internal counters ro reset, limiting the number of steps a pattern will play before repeating. The loop point can range from 1-16 beats, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64 bars, or can also be set to free-running. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one point point to another, or can also be changed gradually..
TRANSPOSE
Sequences can be transposed by up to 36 semitones within the Transpose mode. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one transpose value to another, or can also be changed gradually..
SCALE
There are 99 Scales that determine what notes the sequencer can generate. Scales 1-16 are presets, while scales 17-99 are user definable. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one scale to another, or can also be gradually changed.
SCALE PROGRAM
User scales can be programmed with the Zillion's front panel controls, or using any MIDI controller keyboard. Each scale holds eight pitch values. You can also think of these scales as simple 8-step sequences that can then be "remixed" by the sequencer algorithms. A global tranpose feature is also included in this mode, where any MIDI controller keyboard can be used to tranpose sequences.
MELODY
In the Melody mode you can select up to four sources to determine the melody being generated. These sources include counters, shift register outputs, or can also be set simply on or off.
RHYTHM
In the Rhythm mode you can select up to two sources to determine the rhythm being generated. These sources include counters, shift register outputs, or can also be set simply on or off. Rhythms generated will include note-off, note-on (50% duration), note-on (100% duration), or 32nd notes. In addition there is a Rhythm Density value ranging from 0-255. This parameter determines how complex or full the rhythm will be. There are also 3 possible GateTypes to further determine what types of rhythms are generated.
VELOCITY
In the Velocity mode you can select up to four sources to determine a velocity pattern being generated. These sources include counters, shift register outputs, or can also be set simply on or off. This can be a useful parameter for controlling various aspects in an external sound module by simply setting velocity to control that parameter... such as filter cutoff, or VCA amplitude.
THEME
In the Theme mode you can select up to four sources to determine the theme being generated. These sources include counters, shift register outputs, or can also be set simply on or off. The Theme is what feeds the input of the 32 bit shift register. And since sources of the Theme can be outputs of the Shift Register, feedback occurs and the algorithm can take on a life of its own. In addition, when the Melody, Rhythm, or Velocity use the Shift Register as a source, any changes made to the Theme will then affect all parts relying on the Shift Register making for some interesting interactions.
SHIFT REGISTER
The Shift Register is a 32 bit logic source for the Melody, Rhythm, Velocity, and Theme. In addition there are 36 parity types available to determine how logic from the Theme will be passed on to the input of the Shift Register.
MIDI OUT
The MIDI OUT mode defines the MIDI channel number to transmit data on. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one MIDI channel to another, or can also be changed gradually. This then allows you to play different MIDI channels live.
OS V1.02 adds the ability to control the MIDI OUT channel with Velocity, Theme, and Random values.

MIDI IN
The MIDI IN mode defines the MIDI channel number to receive data on. Four hot keys allow you to set and instantly jump from one MIDI channel to another, or can also be changed gradually.
SYNC
The Sync mode is used to define if the Zillion will play by its internal clock, or sync to an external MIDI clock. In both modes you can determine if the Zillion will transmit MIDI notes, or MIDI notes and MIDI clock.
The Zillion provides the ability to store all parameter settings of where you last were. You can also reset parameters to typical Triadex Muse settings as a quick way of starting new adventures.
A universal power supply is provided with each unit, allowing the Zillion to be used anywhere in the world.

------------------
Old 26-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I saw the Zillion, but considering the amount of things I have to track in a song, I'd need a bucket of them, which would run me more money than the Cirklon. I do really like it, though, just too expensive.

------------------

Thanks to Bipolar Joe
relic (26-03-2018)
Old 26-03-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
I saw the Zillion, but considering the amount of things I have to track in a song, I'd need a bucket of them, which would run me more money than the Cirklon. I do really like it, though, just too expensive.
Yea. I'd say that's a pretty niche feature in a standalone sequencer, in Eurorack land there are probably more of that kind of thing, but probably still monophonic.

EDIT: you might look at Arduino devices. I can't suggest something specific though.

Advertisements

------------------