Official DIY Thread: Electronics and hardware builds
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

View Poll Results: Do you want to build your own gear
Definitely 207 61.61%
No, why would i want to do that when software is so awesome? 20 5.95%
Possibly 76 22.62%
What? 13 3.87%
You can do that ?!?!??? 20 5.95%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
coloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MC
newer jersey
MC Status: 156163
Official DIY Thread: Electronics and hardware builds

This site needs an official DIY page. Sorry for being so presumptuous as to start one.

push.pull

puLSE sIGNAL hARMONICS . pHASE (uN)lOCKED lOOPS

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
coloringpad is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Feedback
Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
newone
Soundwave Mangler
newone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MCnewone is a savage MC
MC Status: 1432181
Re: Official DIY Thread: Noise Machines

Good idea for a thread,i saw another user post about one of these the other day

And i was wondering how you would go about building one yourself?I have no idea about diy stuff like this but it would be cool to give it a try,i imagine theres pickups under the board but how do you add the effects like the reverbs and the delays?
newone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #3
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
coloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MCcoloringpad is a savage MC
newer jersey

As far as DIY books on making noisy things, this is my favorite.

At Amazon [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also...

Really cool stuff... making oscillators in just a few minutes.
Handmade Electronic Music has lots of info on contact mics, mixers, hacking, making oscillators, effects, and some crazy ideas, all worth trying. A look through this book and you'll get an idea of what's going on inside that Folktek machine. Probably contact mics and a serious delay, feedback?: Speculation.

Really want to see the noise devices IDM members have concocted. Next?

------------------
Thanks to coloringpad
g0lem (01-26-2014)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18021919

Quote:
Originally Posted by newone View Post
Good idea for a thread,i saw another user post about one of these the other day

And i was wondering how you would go about building one yourself?I have no idea about diy stuff like this but it would be cool to give it a try,i imagine theres pickups under the board but how do you add the effects like the reverbs and the delays?
this thing is genius!

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

I just bought Make:Electronics, I now need to source all the components I'll need for the experiments...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

moved to the studio and i stuck it for good measure. we need more threads like these here.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
jakerobert
Radial Developer
jakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MCjakerobert is a savage MC
MC Status: 182906

What is a good starter project for someone with absolutely NO electronics experience? I do learn fast though
jakerobert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I asked the same question on another forum, apparently the Shruthi-1 is a very good starter's project, it only requires some basic soldering skills.
If I wouldn't be saving for modules, I'd be getting one.
So, for the time being I'm onl doing my own diy patch cables.

------------------
Old 03-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
newer jersey

Hey Jake.

Lets say you want to build some oscillators, or an Atari Punk Console... really fun and soooo simple.

OK, so if your just starting, I would pick up the following:

Book: Handmade Electronic Music (Inspiring, no brainer, making stuff in no time, no need to read schematics, makes you want to hack all your kid's toys open.) Get this before you go to my list of stuff you need. I am NO EXPERT. I learned by doing and screwing around. Don't even understand the devices I've made exactly.

Supplies: (you can pick up a few of some of these things)
A breadboard
9 Volt Battery connector leads
A set of pre-tinned pre-cut wires... saves you some time when prototyping
Potentiometers (A couple different ones, like 1K, 10K, 100K, 1M) I like having lots of these!
Resistors (You can buy a small bag with a whole bunch of different ones for cheap)
Capacitors (again, a bag of various ones, but I always need some bigger ones (1uf, 2.2uf, 10uf) and some of those ceramic ones with 103 or 104 on them)
A couple chips (when you read the book, he'll tell you what you need for each project)
A couple switches (4PDT and 2PDT get used a lot)
A couple momentary pushbuttons
A couple LEDs (for fun)
That's about it.

Buying stuff? 1 Rule: No Radio Shack. 10x the price.

Don't bother with solder or soldering irons yet... play around.

Again, I have no background in electronics. I just have patience and I have infinite experimentation inspiration. Plus, I LOVE noise.

Really want to see your projects... here's an older one of mine to keep this part going too... I can't watch my narration anymore! What a nerd.
The Psychotronic Generator:

Best thank you? Visit my site... link below in my signature. I also found myself checking out my rep points with pride, so I am easily appeased and a total whore for attention and praise.

------------------
Thanks to coloringpad
purplefish (12-22-2014)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
szdl
Microknight
szdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MC
MC Status: 71590

So getting in on this...

I'm currently making a foot controllor for Ableton out of an old computer keyboard and a couple of dozen switches inspired by [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
on the Ableton forums. Nothing special and not much soldering involved, but it's a start.

Next up is several guitar pedals I've had my eye on for a while - check out [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for some inspiration!

------------------
szdl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Julius Quasar
Analog Lurker
Julius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MCJulius Quasar is a savage MC
Earth
MC Status: 10604

Excellent thread. Perfect timing too. Played a show last night with a homemade tube amp. Now inspired. Thanks for this!

------------------
Julius Quasar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
dubbism
Regular Freak
dubbism is on a distinguished road
bari
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloringpad View Post
Hey Jake.

Lets say you want to build some oscillators, or an Atari Punk Console... really fun and soooo simple.

you are a genoius !!! amaing things you do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dubbism is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #13
smueller
Granular Poster
smueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MC
Boston
MC Status: 134408

Cool thread! I'm going to be doing some circuit bending stuff in one of my classes and can't wait to post some stuff/see what others are making soon enough
smueller is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #14
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
newer jersey

You can also try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for some projects to build directly on your breadboard.

------------------
Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 AM   #15
dubbism
Regular Freak
dubbism is on a distinguished road
bari
MC Status: 10

they sell ...there's nothing for free ?
dubbism is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
newer jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbism View Post
they sell ...there's nothing for free ?
Here... requires some digging on the site:

and also here

------------------
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
szdl
Microknight
szdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MCszdl is a savage MC
MC Status: 71590

I am going to build one of these, it looks too simple to be true.

I think I've got all the parts already too!

Colouringpad - those links are really useful, thanks for that!

------------------
szdl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

I spent all day working on cables and I've ordered my first breadboard and the components I'll need to build a breakout box to use with the Silent Way software.
90% I'll fail and I'll end up buy the Expert Sleepers Es-1 module for my synth, but I'm really excited about starting my first diy project!

------------------
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
newer jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I spent all day working on cables and I've ordered my first breadboard and the components I'll need to build a breakout box to use with the Silent Way software.
90% I'll fail and I'll end up buy the Expert Sleepers Es-1 module for my synth, but I'm really excited about starting my first diy project!
Feel free to contact me and hopefully ı can help.

------------------
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #20
coloringpad
Analog Lurker
newer jersey

Too much here for me to cut and paste.... here's a place for ideas!

Advertisements

------------------

Official DIY Thread: Electronics and hardware builds Tags
diy, electronics, hardware builds