Intro's
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6959333
Thanked 3,998 Times in 2,659 Posts
Intro's

I am looking specifically how to intro a house track, however, I will take any and all suggestions. I have my track laid out in my DAW in blocks by bars and I am working on the intro. I have never made a full length house track before so this is a learning experience.

How much do you put into it? I have a layered kick that I am going to go with. I have been listening to tracks to see the different variations out there.

1. What elements do you put in the first 16 bars?
2. How much subtle effects do you put in that are not as apparent?
3. Do you just put the kick and other percussive effects, or do you have some melodic elements as well?
4. Anything else you would like to add about making a house track would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Last edited by Muse-ic; 04-12-2017 at 05:08 AM..

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94750
Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,245 Posts
Re: Intro's

I think I'm just going to basically copy a youtube tutorial for my "original" Banger. Because I also have no idea to this question.

------------------

^^Everyone is welcome to join in on the latest compilation! *click above*^^
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

I see. I will probably check out a few tutorials as well. I would like to do a good job, I have always wanted to break through and make a house track...this project gives me a reason to get it done in a less intimidating way..
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Muse-ic
Wanderer

A few years ago I found this website by a "DJ Mandrick" and really liked how he laid out the structure and how things are layered and added to the mix. Unfortunately the website no longer exists, but I found a portion on this page while searching out his name.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513730
Thanked 6,456 Times in 4,617 Posts

I was going to respond here wheb I get to work

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Muse-ic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23160

Session view in Live is killer for stuff like this. Duplicate your loop length if need be, and start adding some fades (or filter fades). Even better, create some subtle melodies specifically for the intro on a preexisting instrument if you're finding that a specific scene is lacking. Often times, I'll find that I need to double the length of my loops in order to create the correct automation to keep things interesting.

Also, never forget about the crazy shit you can do with session view's crossfader. Map some stuff to A and B and play around with it, recording wherever necessary.

These are just a few ideas, but IMO Live makes this process super easy.

Also, if your beat is pretty bare and you don't want to throw in a loop that many people have probably already used, slice it to MIDI and arrange it however you want it to sound. Just a few clicks of a hi-hat can add the spice you want, without having to be cookie-cutter about it.

Last edited by Vault O))); 04-12-2017 at 05:48 PM..

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Muse-ic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Muse-ic
Wanderer

I actually mapped it out like you suggested- great idea about adding in the fades between bars and such. It feels a bit more easier now that I have it broken down into sections. Especially since many of the 8 bar sections just repeat with embellishments.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Basically if you are making a DJ friendly track you'll have 16-32 bars of pretty sparse material that has light, basic percussion (nothing to complex that might compete with the next track being blended in). Often these sections will leave out the bassline as well. Often pure percussion, but sometimes a pad or some other sounds. Maybe some vocals.

A basic DJ setup is a two channel mixer with a cross fader. You've also got your high and low shelf filters. One basic way to do a blend is to kill the lows on the new track and bring it in over like 8 bars. Then you can start to blend out the old track and bring the lows back up on the new one. All kinds of permutations of blends like this. Basically you have to think like a DJ.

Honestly if it is a typical house track 16 bars of kick drum, hi hat and maybe some other percussion will work. Then some kind of transitional element at bar 16, drop everything out, let the bassline sing a bit on its own for a few beats of bar 17, then bring the drums back in and some kind of main element. I'd say that is your cookie cutter intro.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Muse-ic (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
Muse-ic
Wanderer

^^^ Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I kind of get into the anatomy of composition because of my theory background. I'm kind of getting into the physical aspects of where to put things, it reminds me of composing a piece of sheet music- making sure everything kind of flows and is in sync. I struggle so much with the tech and choices you have with a DAW and samples. I do better in a limited environment. Having a structure to start off helps me not get distracted by so many possibilities. If that makes sense.

I have a track I am using as my inspiration. I'm kind of using the framework of when they bring things in but using my own parts, chord progressions and such to get started. I figure I can always go back after and add the creative personal touches after.

I have to keep myself in check or I'll never get anything done lol. So much to get sidetracked with.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
^^^ Thanks for the breakdown. I guess I kind of get into the anatomy of composition because of my theory background. I'm kind of getting into the physical aspects of where to put things, it reminds me of composing a piece of sheet music- making sure everything kind of flows and is in sync. I struggle so much with the tech and choices you have with a DAW and samples. I do better in a limited environment. Having a structure to start off helps me not get distracted by so many possibilities. If that makes sense.

I have a track I am using as my inspiration. I'm kind of using the framework of when they bring things in but using my own parts, chord progressions and such to get started. I figure I can always go back after and add the creative personal touches after.

I have to keep myself in check or I'll never get anything done lol. So much to get sidetracked with.
No worries! I've been invovled in this kind of music as a DJ, musician and fan for a while. Using another track to just get a general sense of the structure is the best idea really. Just drop it right in your DAW, stretch it to the same tempo and you are good to go. I wouldn't worry at all about copying the structure of a commericial track, its all really same-y.

The gist of a DJ track in any genre is:

sparse intro - phrase A - breakdown with tension buildling elements that lead up to -- phrase B --sparse outro.

And yea. DAW's are super distracting. That is why I usually start my tracks on hardware. Another method to keep in mind is to come up with the most "dense" part of the track first (ie part with the most elements). I usually make this 64 bars that resolve in some way. Then everything else in the track can just be variations on that 64 bars.

When I was really keen on making DJ friendly dance tracks I always built the track from the middle out, so to speak. Thinking in bars helps a lot. Sections are usually 16, 32, or 64 bars. Also, a good tip I've heard and employ often is that something should change about every fifteen seconds. If you listen to dance tracks you'll notice both the 16/32/64 bar pattern and that it coincides with some kind of obvious change up about every fifteen seconds.

Despite what people want to say, functional dance music is based on tested formulas intended to make the party go off/interact with the effects of drugs (the E rush and whatnot). I don't even think of functional dance tracks as songs...but rather tracks/DJ tools etc. I'm not so sure its very popular these days, but a lot of my old house and techno records have B-sides filled with spares grooves that are intended for live remixing and things like that. This isn't music you are going to sit down and listen to like an LP (I mean, I guess people do that, but I think its boring as hell, it all sounds better as a DJ mix).

Last edited by relic; 04-12-2017 at 08:00 PM..

------------------
Old 04-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6897109
Thanked 3,358 Times in 2,037 Posts

Quote:
How much do you put into it? I have a layered kick that I am going to go with. I have been listening to tracks to see the different variations out there.
Quote:
1. What elements do you put in the first 16 bars?
Kick, then kick and snare. Maybe a bass line sweeping the LP up.

Or, percussion and hats leading into a kick.

It depends how deep you want your house.

Quote:
2. How much subtle effects do you put in that are not as apparent?
All of them.

For me a big part of house music VS say techno is the acoustic space. So a reverb with a realistic pre-delay (~35ms or more) is essential.

Quote:
3. Do you just put the kick and other percussive effects, or do you have some melodic elements as well?
I think house is more about mood than melody. Again, it depends what direction you want to go. Straight up house has gotta have nice chords and a jazzy/bluesy improv type lead and such. But then as you go deeper the chord progressions become flatter and the melodies become more generative.

Another thing is that a lot of house is just a few bars looped and filtered for five minutes.

Like if you listen to a classic like Basement Jaxx - Fly Life

Then you hear there's a bass line, a chord syncopated chord stab and another chord and then everything's just filtered to all fuck . Then the vocal is just one or two lines that have been chopped up edited and thrown through a bunch of delays.

There's literally one bass line pattern, one drum pattern, two tonal patterns and a vocal.

Similar with Layo & Bushwacka - Love Story vs Finally.

It's just a few tight elements with a few beats and pieces sprinkled.

Then probably the most housey example I can think of of the top of my head is Fat Freddy's Drop - Flashback (Jazzanova).

Same deal. Literally a few loops spliced together with some filters and a vocal... Probably the main difference here is that the track has a couple of different movements... But then each movement fits the same bill.

Quote:
4. Anything else you would like to add about making a house track would be welcomed!
House music isn't about songs. It's about tracks. I think if you hear 3/4 of a track in your house work then you probably need to remove something

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #12
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

depends on the edit of the track, Lets say the club mix or dj friendly version then ill start off with just the drums starting with either a couple of background loops and the main kick either filterd or the just top kick layer then bringing in other elements as i go along so like a string an arp or something to "introduce" the main bulk of the track like a key guitar part or riff if it is a riff bringing it in via filtering is always a good way to interlude to the break useally i do the drums for the first say 16 to 32 bars then bringing in the automated filterd parts in the next.

Last edited by joem; 04-13-2017 at 05:06 PM..
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks to @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
this can become the official "How to House" thread now : )

------------------
Old 04-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Yes, great advice in this thread as well as Relic! Speaking of which...I think I have the intro sketched for now, and I think I'm going to try your method of jumping to the fullest part and then take parts out for the rest.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

little tip as well dont be deadmause 5 whos tracks become boring very quickly. I mean hes done some good stuff but he has a tendency to do like 6 minute intros that dont seem to go anywhere you want your intros to be enough so there djable but also sop they dont get boring quickly usually around 2 and a half minutes is around the time you should be aiming for same with outros to. Use them as transitioning points so the dj can find a nice balance for the next song.

Last edited by joem; 04-14-2017 at 12:00 AM..

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote