Recording LoFi music in a HiFi space
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 30-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Recording LoFi music in a HiFi space

In a few weeks I am going to do an LP for a punk band. They have expressly asked me to make it as LoFi as possible; originally asking me to do everything entirely analog in one session directly to a 4 track tape machine being pushed as hard as possible. While I, as a young punk appreciate rawness in music, I'm also trying to build my reputation as an engineer because I just got my first professional studio job. Does anyone have advice on how to create something that appeases their desire for LoFi but still sounds good?

Thus far I am thinking that I might use multiple room mics and be very heavy handed with parallel drum compression. I have also considered using additive high-end eq on the vocals, snare and cymbals, but using more traditional eq on toms, kick, and bass.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744019091
Thanked 7,033 Times in 4,378 Posts
Re: Recording LoFi music in a HiFi space

Make them watch some Steve Albini in the studio documentaries first and then come back to you.
I'd wager that how they think it's done and how it's really done are massively different.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (30-03-2017)
Old 30-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530777
Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,194 Posts

want more clients?

make the band you're working for happy.

thats a far better reflection of your abilities than recording the record they dont want for the benefit of your aesthetic sensibilities. alternately, if you can't find good middle ground w the band don't take on the project.

i guess what i am getting at is, you're providing a service, unless they've asked you to produce the record do as they ask. (:

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744019091
Thanked 7,033 Times in 4,378 Posts

lol, wise words from Chase there.
Ironically, that would be the exact sort of thing the esteemed engineer Mr Albini would say.

I guess I just meant check that they know what they want before wasting a lot of time and trying to charge them for something they tell you sounds bad afterwards.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:01 AM   #5
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7710

Mix and master really well, then record the output from in-ear headphones with a cellular telephone.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 28110

I'm 100% with Chase here. If I'm paying you to make my album sound like it was recorded at the bottom of a well with a kid's tape recorder then that's what you're getting paid to do. You're welcome to make your album sound like whatever you like but my album is mine. If you don't do everything you can to get that sound for me or just politely turn down my project then you've just become That Guy, and fuck That Guy right in his face.

The other side of that coin is that the customer is almost never right, otherwise they wouldn't be a customer, they'd just do it themselves. They know what they want, but unlike Mr. Lydon, they may not know how to get it. Get reference material and listen hard to it. Understand what the band's going for, but when they start telling you which mics to use or how to EQ, I'd probably stop listening. There's a whole continuum of sounds and quality from bottom of the well/tape recorder all the way to overproduced Fleetwood Mac bullshit. There are plenty of ways to get raw and live sounds that don't require shitty equipment or poor techniques. You can have loud, aggressive, raw music that's well recorded and mixed. Try to find a happy medium that both showcases your skills and brings out the best qualities of the band.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #7
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Thank you guys for the advice! It was all very helpful, but unfortunately the band has asked me to hardpan all of the drums to the left and all of the bass to the right, and they won't budge on the matter. (funny since supposedly the human ear percieves most low frequencies as mono, although I've heard some differing viewpoints on bass panning recently). I've given up on having something relatively nice sounding. At this point, I'm going to make everything sound as good as possible before all of the panning and just call it an experiment and not tell anyone that I engineered for them. Thanks anyway, everybody!

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to floydianslip
Oatbag (25-04-2017)
Old 25-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31560

Nobody is going to listen to that, and it's all their fault. You're a brave man / woman

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #9
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236429

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
want more clients?

make the band you're working for happy.
Fucking this.

All the people here that want to "make it sound good" or "hi-fi" are idiots. If the client wants it to sound like someone puking off-brand bleach into a plastic bucket, make it so. People are not going to discover you because of your work, or even if they are, they will contact people you have worked with. If the punk band is not happy with the sound because it is too clean and you fuzzied about placing your mics precisely for 2 hours, they are going to have an experience they did not enjoy, and are going to pass that word along.

Either go into it willing to do what they are paying you to do or tell them that you are not interested in working with them.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525080
Thanked 6,683 Times in 4,768 Posts

FWIW, my father and I run into this with visual design and copy writing for websites for his clients all the time.

The clients are almost always wrong about wording and/or design. Sometimes they take our advice, they like our ideas. Other times I write outrageously horrid copy and my father and his programmer make ugly as fvck websites.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote