[Dark Ambient] Ian B. - Detached
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160
[Dark Ambient] Ian B. - Detached

I'm not sure what the hell happened to the end, but thoughts otherwise are appreciated. I guess that's what happens when you run out of ram

Everything was recorded on a shitty Tascam DR-5, aside from the sparse synths

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Dark Ambient] Ian B. - Detached.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 109960
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,287 Posts
Re: [Dark Ambient] Ian B. - Detached

Monolithic. Mix feels right in your face and I feel it suits this piece quite well. All textures seem to fall in place, feels that they came from similar sound source. Entire piece is really dark, very granular and layers are quite sharp with good amount of details. A couple of suggestions: that main circular drone that appears around 1:20 and later at 2:20 needs some sort of contrast, feels a bit too stale, even if it seems it's moving around. Maybe some other textures that kind of interfere with it bit more, for example at 3:50 something very contrasting could happen and it could add some anticipation that could define this track even more. I'm not saying it lacks of variety it but I feel at some moment that main drone feels bit too stationary. Anyway, my opinion sucks.

also, I see what you did on your signature track. I don't need to know why.
lolwhataloser

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Artificer
Soundscaper
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 19360

This is wonderful. I really like all the ambient I've heard from you and this is no exception. Echoing ms's praise, the samples are all very crisp and nicely balanced. I never felt like anything was overwhelming other elements without it being purposeful.

So, criticisms, keeping in mind that they're little bitty things that you may or may not want to address:

There's a moment around the :30 mark where the background sample (leaves?) sounds like you're violently opening a bag of potato chips. I couldn't get the image out of my head.

Ambient or not, it gets a little slow around 2/3s of the way in. I could do with a bit of a bang or change up, even just momentarily, to break things up. Go throw a rock in a dumpster or something.

I really like the repetition of the low drone rising and falling throughout the piece. It reminds me of a sleeping creature's breathing. My issue would be with the sort of whooshing phaser rise and fall that's almost wind like and comes in later - it just gets a bit repetitive in the second half of the song. A little variation in tone wouldn't go amiss with me there.

I like the main synths being straight up the middle and the field samples being in stereo but I'd like to here some separation on a few of the one-off elements. Not enough that they squash the samples but enough to give it more of a sense of space.

Again, minor little things and really just personal preference. Technically it's spot on and it's a great listen that I'm sure I'll come back to. I'd love an album of similar stuff.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526177
Thanked 1,759 Times in 1,143 Posts

This is really great. not much to add other that saying that I enjoyed this.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Creepr
Sample Destroyer
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 3710

nicely ambient piece, i was able to enjoy it while concentrating on work tasks as well as when I focused on it. It did not demand my full attention the entire time but really cleared my head of distraction which to me makes it really repeatable and interesting. Great work.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
ziino
Regular Freak
ziino is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Super chill, liking the stuff you do mate!
ziino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Monolithic. Mix feels right in your face and I feel it suits this piece quite well. All textures seem to fall in place, feels that they came from similar sound source. Entire piece is really dark, very granular and layers are quite sharp with good amount of details. A couple of suggestions: that main circular drone that appears around 1:20 and later at 2:20 needs some sort of contrast, feels a bit too stale, even if it seems it's moving around. Maybe some other textures that kind of interfere with it bit more, for example at 3:50 something very contrasting could happen and it could add some anticipation that could define this track even more. I'm not saying it lacks of variety it but I feel at some moment that main drone feels bit too stationary. Anyway, my opinion sucks.

also, I see what you did on your signature track. I don't need to know why.
lolwhataloser
No way, your opinion is awesome. You're like the mixing jesus (or satan, whichever is in style)

You're right about that drone, I got lazy. After dialing in what I wanted, I went for a simple HP filter LFO to try and 'give it some movement' instead of automating it like a real robot would. Weirdly, the over-contrast made it stale. It's that stupid noise vs music conundrum that I'll never understand; it's so easy to wreck the balance and turn what once 'moved' back into something circular and boring.

I appreciate the feedback, maybe I'll find out how to battle the synth / song dilemma one day

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504380
Thanked 6,269 Times in 4,499 Posts

This is pretty interesting. I really like found sounds in electronic music whether its a few percussive bits to spice up a techno track or something like this. This is super haunting. It somehow reminds me of the sleep paralysis I suffered as a teen. Like being stuck in some kind of limbo. The overall texture is pretty top notch and everything is coming through crisp/clear on my crappy blue tooth speaker. I might be missing some low end, but that is a fault of my play back system at work : )

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote