Your Thoughts on the Future of the Music Industry
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 26-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really nice
Philadephia
MC Status: 360
Your Thoughts on the Future of the Music Industry

Hello everyone!

I wanted to start this thread to see your thoughts about the rise in independent artists and how they got their fame. Even with people with little to no talent whatsoever. How did they get their fame? How was it done? Do you think the music industry is going to conform to this new idea of self promotion?

I am on the quest to promote my music but I am not signed to a label. I have an album coming out on the 17th and I want to hear your thoughts on how you promote your music and how you view other famous artists' methods of promoting their music.

Let me know Your thoughts on this

cheers,

Aktiveight

Advertisements

aktiveight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 52960
Thanked 1,059 Times in 758 Posts
Re: Your Thoughts on the Future of the Music Industry

Music will always be around until it is banned by governments

Self promotion requires you to actually do it. its the only way. you can't half ass it. if you're putting yourself out there do it properly. craft yourself for your audience and what you want to be. a dubstep DJ/producer is far different than an electro-pop/pop act or whatever.

develop a brand, this might take a while. a brand is not posting sick memery on your facebook or sharing UNILAD videos/Worldstar videos to get hits - that just shows you spend more time on the net instead of probably making meaningful music.

you can do your own art but if you're shit at it i'd say pay someone to do it. could be the start of a good collaborative process. if anything find a new comer artist and work a deal to help each other promote one another, you can probably get work done for free.

oh yeah, you're gonna do a lot of that; paying for it yourself - especially as a budding artist, its just how it is, special circumstances can apply but youll need to spend some $ on your brand/self/promotion

contact like minded blogs/places on the net that support your type of music

if you're producing country nobody cares about it on a pure trance forum, unless you're Avicii, yeah someone like that.

but first you have to make good, meaningful music. its a real bummer when the branding is great, the artwork is tight and everything works except the music. focus on that first.

people relate and gravitate to real, raw art. despite it being 'gay' or lame or too deep or slow or whatever in some circles of society, make good art. you have to or else nothing will work. might take you a week might take you 7 years or 10 years but make good art.

promotion is small peanuts imo and its just about manipulation of your audience, thinking in their shoes and providing a product they'll want to consume and be apart of.

self promotion has been around forever and is not new in the music industry. independent artists have been around forever as well as indie labels and the like.

the music should be able to promote itself by virtue of being unique, meaningful to the listener, etc.

you could say in some cases luck does have a factor, right place right time.

networking is your friend, it really is. talk to people, reach out. don't be annoying but be proactive about it. you literally do not know who is looking for work/hiring/needing to fill their roster.

these are my opinions from observations of the industry itself, which i work in (more game sound design), friends, other producers and watching the up's and downs of the industry itself as an outside consumer.

but it still comes back to your effort. you can wait around for prince charming, he might come or you can go find whatever it is you're looking for yourself.

good luck! don't forget to post your album here so people can listen--- you can also search the forum for 'Promotion' or other things pertaining to this question as I have seen some good advice from people, like using email chains on Bandcamp (i think this was a @chasedobson technique, or Benwaa I forget) and various other theories and ideas on how to get yourself "out there"

Last edited by SKYCORE; 02-03-2017 at 08:38 PM..
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
A.M (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170460
Thanked 3,409 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
Music will always be around until it is banned by governments

Self promotion requires you to actually do it. its the only way. you can't half ass it. if you're putting yourself out there do it properly. craft yourself for your audience and what you want to be. a dubstep DJ/producer is far different than an electro-pop/pop act or whatever.

develop a brand, this might take a while. a brand is not posting sick memery on your facebook or sharing UNILAD videos/Worldstar videos to get hits - that just shows you spend more time on the net instead of probably making meaningful music.

you can do your own art but if you're shit at it i'd say pay someone to do it. could be the start of a good collaborative process. if anything find a new comer artist and work a deal to help each other promote one another, you can probably get work done for free.

oh yeah, you're gonna do a lot of that; paying for it yourself - especially as a budding artist, its just how it is, special circumstances can apply but youll need to spend some $ on your brand/self/promotion

if you're producing country nobody cares about it on a pure trance forum, unless you're Avicii, yeah someone like that.

but first you have to make good, meaningful music. its a real bummer when the branding is great, the artwork is tight and everything works except the music. focus on that first.

people relate and gravitate to real, raw art. despite it being 'gay' or lame or too deep or slow or whatever in some circles of society, make good art. you have to or else nothing will work. might take you a week might take you 7 years or 10 years but make good art.

promotion is small peanuts imo and its just about manipulation of your audience, thinking in their shoes and providing a product they'll want to consume and be apart of.

self promotion has been around forever and is not new in the music industry. independent artists have been around forever as well as indie labels and the like.

the music should be able to promote itself by virtue of being unique, meaningful to the listener, etc.

you could say in some cases luck does have a factor, right place right time.

networking is your friend, it really is. talk to people, reach out. don't be annoying but be proactive about it. you literally do not know who is looking for work/hiring/needing to fill their roster.

these are my opinions from observations of the industry itself, which i work in (more game sound design), friends, other producers and watching the up's and downs of the industry itself as an outside consumer.

but it still comes back to your effort. you can wait around for prince charming, he might come or you can go find whatever it is you're looking for yourself.

Them there be wise words..there are others that could be added, but there's more than enough for anyone starting out to get to work with..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
SKYCORE (03-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525230
Thanked 6,686 Times in 4,768 Posts

I'd call making yourself famous when you've got no talent is a talent. Making fame out of nothing might actually be harder than making it out of something.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 52960
Thanked 1,059 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
fun fact when i was first interested in making my own music, electronic stuff, i searched for a place that had a good community for it, found IDMf

been shit posting ever since
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170460
Thanked 3,409 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'd call making yourself famous when you've got no talent is a talent. Making fame out of nothing might actually be harder than making it out of something.
That's the basis of the whole "reality celeb" thing we have now..people over-paid for doing nothing more than being a brand. I think there's something really shitty about that..and I think it's a sign of something really wrong with society in general..and morally on an more individual level, that we can reward such talentless people, as if they were actually providing us with something other than their own persona..

Every time I see some reality T.V show..or some "leaked vid" celeb,"Idiocracy" and "Ass: the movie" springs to mind.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (03-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktiveight View Post
I wanted to start this thread to see your thoughts about the rise in independent artists and how they got their fame. Even with people with little to no talent whatsoever. How did they get their fame? How was it done? Do you think the music industry is going to conform to this new idea of self promotion?
There are services out there that can generate a lot of robot activity on your music profiles for a fee. They literally advertise that they are "selling soundcloud likes + follows" or what have you. If "popularity" on soundcloud is expressed solely by the numbers, comments, follows, likes, downloads, that's all easy to fabricate.

The Industry also conforms to this model, artists (or their agents, or contractually or what have you) buy marketing and they become popular because their face is plastered on every billboard.

Last edited by PROton42; 02-03-2017 at 09:11 PM..

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:12 AM   #8
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

As a person that hears alot of music and does AE work for randos from all over, I can tell you the biggest thing to becoming that hero musician/composer is to make some amazing songs. You won't be able to stop it from being huge if it's that good, once you put it out. Doesn't matter if you slap it on soundcloud or youtube, one person will hear it and then it's all over the place in a week.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
totes antenna
TOO on fleek
totes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond repute
Skyway Patrol
MC Status: 9810

Advertisements

totes antenna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote