The best city for electronic music producers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160
The best city for electronic music producers

What's your bet for the place with the optimal mix of:

most producers per capita,
the most talented producers
the most music gear/studios/tech/toys
the most inspiring/thriving scene for shows and listenings
[etc]

Advertisements

Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457058
Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,800 Posts
Re: The best city for electronic music producers

I'd say LA or London.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of

London, Berlin and LA id say

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20160

I live in a suburb of LA and I agree. There's enough action here that I could probably get a show somewhere within the week if I wanted to (having never played live) and could work all the way up to the big club scene without leaving. And we have some pretty darn big festivals not far from here (within the state at least).

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8532930
Thanked 6,840 Times in 4,869 Posts

I'll tell you where it isn't. Akron, Ohio. Lol.

But yea, if I had to guess I agree with London or LA. New York and Berlin might also be contenders, but I have no personal experience.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17610

I would bet on Berlin.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

possibly Berlin London - for electronic any way

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Seattle was hot for a minute as well, but not as intense as some mentioned here. Kind of a cliche, but Detroit and Chicago still seem to have a fair bit going on. I live closer to Detroit and used to to travel there a couple times a year. Its not just Movement, there are lots of techno events and things in that orbit going on all the time from what I can tell.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:21 AM   #9
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 30760

If I were to move somewhere for music it'd be Internetown. Because of all the tubes that make the net connected. That way I could just shout down a tube and talk to other people that like the things I like. It'd be awesome and I'd get a lot done for musicing.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Vault O))) (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #10
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19310

LA or NY in America if you're going by amount of producers
Minneapolis seems like an area where breaking into the scene is pretty easy though, based off of some friends I know.. and it doesn't seem like it's over saturated here yet. But not a lot of people are doing cool stuff in electronic music here, at least not performance-wise
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:52 AM   #11
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20160

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Seattle was hot for a minute as well, but not as intense as some mentioned here. Kind of a cliche, but Detroit and Chicago still seem to have a fair bit going on. I live closer to Detroit and used to to travel there a couple times a year. Its not just Movement, there are lots of techno events and things in that orbit going on all the time from what I can tell.
I was gonna say something about them too, would be surprised if they didn't get at least an honorable mention.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
relic (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of

in the UK id like to add Bristol actually - trip hop was born there and it often has very local very independent versions of scenes with in it... dubstep and grime especially.... lots of dnb there as well

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
Steve_Leroy
Regular Freak
Steve_Leroy is currently spamming hard
Houston
MC Status: 10

Most major European cities have a decent amount of music going on, i mean berlin, paris, and london probably have the most talent per capita but if you wanna have fun you can do any major city and find a good dance music night
Steve_Leroy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #14
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

internets

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #15
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 173460
Thanked 3,469 Times in 2,592 Posts

Not in my town (..watches as wind blows tumbleweed down empty street)

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
relic (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Not in my town (..watches as wind blows tumbleweed down empty street)
I am going to retire to a synth cabin most of the way up a mountain
Thanks to relic
A.M (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 02:12 AM   #17
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
I am going to retire to a synth cabin most of the way up a mountain
Oh..you just stole my dream..damn you!

Seriously, it's not that bad here in Cork city, Ireland..just that there's a lot of clubs and bar that have your usual DJ spinning tracks and mixing, but little on the side of actually live performances by producers, which is what I had in mind when replying here.

And as for ambient..forget it, dude. I know I'm generalizing a bit here when I say this, but I think this town still thinks of "elevator music" when they hear the term "ambient"

Last edited by A.M; 08-02-2017 at 02:45 AM..

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 02:24 AM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Oh..you just stole my dream..damn you!

Seriously, it's not that bad here in COrk city, Ireland..just that there's a lot of clubs and bar that have your usual DJ spinning tracks and mixing, but little on the side of actually live performances by producsors, which is what I had in mind when replying here.

And as for ambient..forget it, dude. I know I'm generalizing a bit here when I say this, but I think this town still thinks of "elevator music" when they hear the term "ambient"
What do the clubs play? In Akron it is mostly festival EDM, Trap and shitty Rap besides the ONE monthly. But I live pretty close to some better places for dance stuff an hour or three hours depending on what I want to hear. There is somewhat of a noise/ambient scene an hour north.

Anyway. Yea...of all the festivals I've been to all over the US and Canada...basically no Ambient. Dunno what to tell you about that man...I feel like your neck of the woods would be better for that. Have you looked into starting up a synth meetup? If I recall Cork isn't a small city, seems there'd be a few people into it?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:52 AM   #19
A.M

Quote:
What do the clubs play? In Akron it is mostly festival EDM, Trap and shitty Rap besides the ONE monthly. But I live pretty close to some better places for dance stuff an hour or three hours depending on what I want to hear. There is somewhat of a noise/ambient scene an hour north.

Anyway. Yea...of all the festivals I've been to all over the US and Canada...basically no Ambient. Dunno what to tell you about that man...I feel like your neck of the woods would be better for that. Have you looked into starting up a synth meetup? If I recall Cork isn't a small city, seems there'd be a few people into it?
Tbh, it's fecking years since I was last in a club, so fuck knows what they're playing these days..but it's sure as shit not ambient. I'm guessing pretty much the same as what's spinning in your area.

As for the meetup idea..yeah, I've been seriously giving that some thought..haven't done anything about it..b ut I've been giving it some thought.

The problem is most venues are in it for the profit..and so they're not going to give you the spot if you're not going to pull in the punters..kind of a Catch 22 thing..you need the venue to announce the event, in order to draw the crowd..but you need the crowd in order to get the venue in the first place.

------------------
Old 08-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #20
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Tbh, it's fecking years since I was last in a club, so fuck knows what they're playing these days..but it's sure as shit not ambient. I'm guessing pretty much the same as what's spinning in your area.

As for the meetup idea..yeah, I've been seriously giving that some thought..haven't done anything about it..b ut I've been giving it some thought.

The problem is most venues are in it for the profit..and so they're not going to give you the spot if you're not going to pull in the punters..kind of a Catch 22 thing..you need the venue to announce the event, in order to draw the crowd..but you need the crowd in order to get the venue in the first place.
If I were going to start a synth meetup I'd tried to get a room at a local hall, university or library to do it. Just invite the artists and few friends to start. I've thought a lot about it myself, but not done anything...I get it man...haha.

Advertisements

Thanks to relic
A.M (08-02-2017)