How do I work on getting this sound?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 31-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #1
cern242
Learning The Ropes
cern242 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
How do I work on getting this sound?

Hey everyone, I'm a noob producer who's been tinkering around in Ableton for around 6 months. I've followed quite a few tutorials and have a basic understanding of production but I can never seem to get the sound I want. I've been trying to get that old school dirty deep house vibe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few of songs that have the sound I've been trying to get.

Advertisements

cern242 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts
Re: How do I work on getting this sound?

I'm going to say sorry up front, because what follows might come across as me being a smart ass..so, with that said..

Basically there's no swift or quick way to "get that sound"..you're going to have to put in the time learning the basics of sound production..and, hopefully, after "tinkering around in Ableton for around 6 months" and given you've "followed quite a few tutorials and have a basic understanding of production", you should at least have worked out how to use EQ/Compression/Reverb, etc..

I suggest you try deconstructing the tracks above..if you haven't done so already..and try it again, if you have, in order to understand the various parts and elements that went into making them. If you don't do this at the very least, then how will you ever learn how to do it yourself..nobody is going to do it for you.

Listen to how the tracks are structured..what instruments as used and how they are used together throughout the tracks. Pay attention to the structure of the tracks..how do they develop and what "tricks" are used to move each track along to their end? What FX are used on the tracks? How are these FX used and in which order?

There's obviously more to it than this, but what I've said above should give you enough to get your started. There's really no point trying to do any serious mixing or producing until you've done what I've suggested..otherwise you're just going to become bogged down and pissed off at not moving forward as much as you would like to..

Read as many posts on here as you can, as there's a lot of stuff posted up on here that you'll find useful..and keep asking questions..no matter how dumb you might think they are..somebody will help you if they can.

Best of luck and I hope to see more of you on here in future.

Last edited by A.M; 01-01-2017 at 12:02 AM..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
cern242
Learning The Ropes
cern242 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Not a smart ass at all. Thanks for the advice! Never thought about doing a deconstruction, will give that shot. I think I need to study sound production a bit more. I've mainly just been making silly tracks using sample packs and haven't learnt much more than how to go about using Ableton.
cern242 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern242 View Post
Not a smart ass at all. Thanks for the advice! Never thought about doing a deconstruction, will give that shot. I think I need to study sound production a bit more. I've mainly just been making silly tracks using sample packs and haven't learnt much more than how to go about using Ableton.
Hey..don't knock yourself..think of it as time well spent getting to know Ableton..we all started out exactly in the same place you are now..and the only difference between all of us is how long we've been doing it. Some pick things up faster than others..while others take time to process all the info they need to take on board..and there's a lot of it, trust me.

As for your "silly tracks using sample packs"..trust me..they're more valuable than you think..you're going to be using them in the future to judge how much your production skills have grown over time. Sure, they contain production errors or things that could be done better, but that's how you will learn to do things..by going back to those tracks and seeing what you can do to them that will improve them.

That's why I suggested you deconstruct those tracks you posted up..because when you do, you'll start to see things you can add / include in your own "silly tracks". Learning to produce takes time..a lot of time..and, for the record, you NEVER stop learning.. so don't sweat it..you'll get there, trust me

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote