Upgrade or no? Mac OS X to Sierra 10.12.2, Elektron Overbridge, and Maschine
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 30-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49510
Upgrade or no? Mac OS X to Sierra 10.12.2, Elektron Overbridge, and Maschine

So, a tricky question...

How to assess the pros and cons of upgrading. For starters: my wireless keyboard and mouse made by Apple won't work wirelessly in Yosemite (10.10.5, which I am still running). Since I do use it for some non-music applications, that stinks.

The main reason I didn't upgrade were reports of compatibility issues reported for Native-Instruments gear. That has now been fixed per their website. I'm running the latest update of the Maschine host, and have in fact observed some boot-up glitches since that recent update for Maschine in my current OS.

It would also appear that the new Overbridge release by Elektron can have issues in older OS. This apparently has been linked to some USB issues tracing back to Mavericks (10.9). The Elektron update is a big one, as it requires all OB compatible devices to have their firmware upgraded, which includes the Rytm, A4, and Heat. The latter device has been described as losing USB compatibility, but more likely than not linked to old OS and/or hardware (10.9 Xeon dual core vs the 10.10 and i7 in my 2012 MBP).

Based on the info I gathered, I think it's time I upgrade to Sierra, and do a major round of firmware upgrades.

I wonder, though, what others eperience may have looked like for

Mac OS Sierra
Analog Heat, Rytm, or Four/Keys
Maschine
Reason 8 and 9
Logic Pro X

I also have hundreds of plugins that I have to consider.

Looking for some advice, but will likely do the upgrades tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
Re: Upgrade or no? Mac OS X to Sierra 10.12.2, Elektron Overbridge, and Maschine

Yeah, guys, I don't know why, but I feel ignored a bit these days. Maybe just a perception...

Anyway, I am please to report that after upgrading firmware on Avalon, Rytm, A4, and Heat, update to latest Overbridge version, and upgrade to Mac OS X Sierra, all seems to work well with each other and full Overbridge integration has been achieved. I've not run VSTs or plugs to fully pressure test all, but I feel confident it went ok.

MBP mid 2012 with i7 processors upgraded from 10.9.2 Yosemite, Maschine 2.5.5, MOTU MIDI Express XT

Aside from the usual MIDI confusion there were no anomalies observed.

Well, except the boneheaded Apple feature of syncing documents and desktop to iCloud. Sounds good, but all the file paths got messed up and nothing was working. Turning it off was a pain, as apparently Apple engineers thought it intuitive to default to deleting all the local files, as opposed to the cloud. That was a lot of copy and paste action I could've done without. What a stupid move, as there was not even an option to pick an option to keep the local copies.

------------------

Old 31-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8524830
Thanked 6,678 Times in 4,764 Posts
Re: Upgrade or no? Mac OS X to Sierra 10.12.2, Elektron Overbridge, and Maschine

That is a really tough cookie for most people to crack. Its also the holidays. Ive ways just blindly updated windows...even to to win 10...and never had issues...but I know mac OS ks another beast. I dont think you are beimg ignored just no one reallly had a good answer to your question. Also sometimes threads just get lost here.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530427
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,191 Posts

I refuse to upgrade a working system until absolutely necessary. I learned this while touring. If it ain't broke... etc.

That said, I dont use any Elektron stuff and my NI Komplete is happy, so is Ableton so I'm pretty set, for awhile I think.

El Capitan

OSX10.11.4

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

It was those weird glitches of booting up Maschine that pushed me. Since I had no issues with Yosemite until updating Maschine, which was needed to support Maschine Jam. I am guessing that the update made it somewhat less stable in Yosemite as Sierra was being supported.

Overbridge is such a neat feature that I really wanted to upgrade the machines.

It was a risk, but after some research felt comfortable that I would be fine. So, for those of you with similar setups, here is the report. You will be ok to update.

------------------

Old 31-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151210
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,816 Posts

fwiw

From where I stand, being a mac user looks stressful. I remember the fist days of osx and software not behaving the same (if it worked at all) from one version of X to the other... it's amazing to me that things have not changed a bit in close to 15 years.Apple seems more concerned with teenage girls snapchatting their snatches left and right than with artists having reliable tools for their jobs.

Meanwhile, windows 10 will still support the editor software for my nord... which dates back to the win98 days.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Yeah, guys, I don't know why, but I feel ignored a bit these days.
Don't feel like that man, I'm sure it's not intentional, as Relic said.
I'm not a Mac user and I still came to have a read and see if I could help.
I hope you figured out what was the best thing to suit you.
Happy New Year!

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
liquid_air (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
snachat

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
thom (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
fwiw

From where I stand, being a mac user looks stressful. I remember the fist days of osx and software not behaving the same (if it worked at all) from one version of X to the other... it's amazing to me that things have not changed a bit in close to 15 years.Apple seems more concerned with teenage girls snapchatting their snatches left and right than with artists having reliable tools for their jobs.

Meanwhile, windows 10 will still support the editor software for my nord... which dates back to the win98 days.
About four years ago I switched to Mac. I was sick and tired of having to figure out all those highly technical aspects of even simple tasks, such as setting up a WLAN. Everything Apple I ever bought started working as soon as hooked up and any instructions required fit on a letter sheet piece of paper with mostly pictograms. For the most part, this is still the case. My Windows experience was one of never ending pain of stuff crashing, malware, crushing performance dips due to intrusive Antivirus software and endless hours spent searching for solutions.

I can't say that upgrading the OS was particularly eventful on Windows, but it's been a good long while.

------------------

Old 31-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
lolirl
Administrator

I can see both your points.
You can buy your way out and stay ignorant or become windows power user.

------------------
Old 31-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
About four years ago I switched to Mac. I was sick and tired of having to figure out all those highly technical aspects of even simple tasks, such as setting up a WLAN. Everything Apple I ever bought started working as soon as hooked up and any instructions required fit on a letter sheet piece of paper with mostly pictograms. For the most part, this is still the case. My Windows experience was one of never ending pain of stuff crashing, malware, crushing performance dips due to intrusive Antivirus software and endless hours spent searching for solutions.

I can't say that upgrading the OS was particularly eventful on Windows, but it's been a good long while.
Oh... my golden #1 rule of both thumbs since switching from mac to windows in 2006 ALWAYS, always, has been to keep the studio computer air-gapped like it was darpa shit. No.Network.Ever.Networking hardware disabled, even.
Thanks to thom
lolirl (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
I can see both your points.
You can buy your way out and stay ignorant or become windows power user.
It's google that I powerused to know how to regedit a solid daw.

lol at this stage, I couldn't be paid to switch to mac. Let alone, lmfao, shell out for the hardware....
Old 31-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
lolirl
Administrator

Yeah, I suspect we're just in a different user group to liquid_air who, I'm guessing, is relatively time poor but has larger disposable income than us.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
thom (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #14
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Yeah... but still...

For instance I googled a bit to know what the options are under OsX to customize how a touchscreen behaves and damn... what jumped at me is apple being cunts and keeping touch technology away from their laptops and workstations to favor ipad and ipad app sales. I might be wrong but the fact that they don't have a large, pro-oriented touch computer available betrays their unwillingness to be an active actor in things moving forward on planet earth...
Old 31-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
lolirl
Administrator

I get you dude, only apple products I've ever owned I've been given as hand-me-downs tbh.
But whatever, we're not going to convince anyone.
Each to their own and all that man.

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
thom (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Yeah, I suspect we're just in a different user group to liquid_air who, I'm guessing, is relatively time poor but has larger disposable income than us.
That's probably spot on. Definitely time poor and, as the pics of my studio evolution betrays, do have a fair bit of disposable income.

This is a bit of a rendition of the Mac vs Win debate. So, whatever works for you.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
lolirl (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #17
lolirl
Administrator

Yeah, I didn't want it evolving into that again.

------------------
Old 31-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #18
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
I get you dude, only apple products I've ever owned I've been given as hand-me-downs tbh.
But whatever, we're not going to convince anyone.
Each to their own and all that man.

yyyeaaah I know man... but... like if I take my example of my nord editor running smoother than ever on a platform that is close to 20 years younger...

Like, I bet there's a bunch of machines like super-expensive cnc equipment out there that is still being used in part because the software controlling it was based on microsoft's platform.

As a bike mechanic, I grew appreciative of a company like shimano that is MOST BRILLIANT about backwards compatibility. Shimano stands out as an embodiment of everything that isn't planned obsolescence.
Thanks to thom
liquid_air (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator

:LOL:
Yes, I know all that.
Thanks for splainin' it again though.

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to lolirl
thom (31-12-2016)