Creating a "vibe" in your tracks
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 14-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 460
Creating a "vibe" in your tracks

Hi all,

I'm finishing up tracks for an album that will hopefully be put out this year, and as I'm mixing and "mastering" I feel like some of my tracks feel sterile. It may be because I've been working on it for so long and don't hear my "sound" anymore, but I really appreciate albums that all sound like they have a common feel, and vibe to them. I know these are very ambiguous and subjective terms, but hopefully I'm getting my point across..

Advertisements

------------------
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 03:12 AM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17610
Re: Creating a "vibe" in your tracks

yeah, you are being pretty vague and without hearing your tunes, it's tough to give any specific advice. also, tracks feeling sterile and an album lacking a common vibe are two pretty different things.

the opposite of sterile is dirty. so run your stuff through distortion fx. if you have a mic, maybe record your synths through your monitors to get some hiss and natural room reverb. if your automation is too precise, maybe instead record yourself tweaking your controller in real time and don't edit that too much. likewise, if everything is on the grid and penciled in, maybe play stuff by hand. or humanize manually, by moving things off the grid and randomizing velocity.

about similar vibe, i think that just tends to come through naturally by just having a preference for certain sounds or scales or whatever. something you can't really help and might not notice. to artificially induce it after the fact, maybe start re-using some synth patches or drum kits. maybe even "quote" certain melodic or rhythmic phrases in several tracks.

you could also just be fatigued, if you've been working on it alone for a while. easy to lose perspective. maybe give it a small break. or get some producer buddies to give you feedback. or maybe don't master it yourself and pay a professional to do this, since that's kind of one of the big things mastering is supposed to achieve - a uniform sound between tracks for the album as the whole. kind of why many people who are capable of doing mastering themselves still have someone else do it.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 02:57 AM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

I listened to your track in your sig. Just seems to me like you're not pushing the kicks and/or low end enough in the mix. Bump up your bass frequencies a bit in key areas like the kick (50-70hz and the harmonics associated with those) and the snare (180-220hz) needs body. The mix just lacks a general low end, going from that tune. Add some tasteful multiband compression on these key elements to reign in overpowering bass and you should be good.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California

Thanks, guys. The song in my sig is from earlier this year off of my EP, the stuff I'm currently working on has a better grip on the mixes I think. I haven't posted anything from the new album, but will tomorrow to give an idea about what I'm talking about.

But I feel like these songs have a common "feel" to them. They feel cohesive and like they're part of the same story.

------------------
Thanks to Garruden
Numerical (16-11-2016)
Old 17-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

most tracks on albums of electronic music producers sound similar because they reuse synths, drums, use the same BPM and always work with the same plugins etc.

I don't think this necessarily needs to be the case for an album to be good.

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

I kinda understand what you're trying to talk about. Albums where each song matches with each other well and when you think of that song, you think of that album. If you are talking about what I think you're talking about, then I have to agree, those kinds of albums do sound great to me. I don't know if what I say is super helpful or not because I've only made one EP in my life, but here are some things that I've observed within albums that have a particular vibe.

When it comes to writing songs for a particular album, you should know what style or genre you want to work on. "Human After All" by Daft Punk sounds like rock and roll made by computers. "Yeezus" by Kanye West is a very distorted, almost industrial sounding album. These albums have that particular "vibe" because the artist knew how they wanted that album to sound like. Once you figure out what kind of style you want, you can try to explore different kinds of emotions within each song.

That tip is pretty much useless at this point since you're in the mixing and mastering stages :p But I think that tip still stands. During mixing, you should know what kind of sound you're looking for specifically. How do you want the kick to sound? What about the bass? What frequencies do you want to focus on? Of course, each song should be their own thing but you could keep in mind about what your other songs sound like and what you're ultimate going for with this album.

Within my personal experience of making my EP, I kept in mind of how the previous song sounded like so I make sure that each basic element (like what volume the drums are, or what EQ is the kick) is the same but I also made the specifics within each track sound different so that each song still sounds different.

As for mastering, you should always send it to a professional ME but you can do it yourself if you want to! Once you've done mixing each song, load up a new project and put all your songs inside. The biggest thing you want to remember here is to make sure everything matches with each other. EQ is the easiest way to do this. Again, you have to know what particular sound you're trying to go for. If you think one song lacks bass compared to the other song, then boost it. If you think one song has too much midrange, then cut some out. Keep doing so (as subtly as possible of course) until each song sound as close to each other as possible. Then play each song one after another and see if they all follow the vibe and sound you're looking for!

Phew, that was a wall of text! Like I said, I haven't made an album or did anything professionally, this is all observations, stuff I've read and one personal experience but I hoped it was helpful

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Narukami Music
Garruden (18-11-2016)
Old 18-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
San Jose, California

Thanks for all of your input. I think the main problem I'm having is there are two fairly different "sections" to the album I'm working on. One sounds very 80's revival-esque while the other part sounds more cinematic and industrial. There are a couple of tracks that float in between the two, so maybe I can be sneaky with them the have the flow of the album make sense when transitioning from one soundscape to the next. I use a lot of the same drum kits and presets that I've made so hopefully my "sound" will shine through.

------------------
Old 19-11-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garruden View Post
Thanks for all of your input. I think the main problem I'm having is there are two fairly different "sections" to the album I'm working on. One sounds very 80's revival-esque while the other part sounds more cinematic and industrial. There are a couple of tracks that float in between the two, so maybe I can be sneaky with them the have the flow of the album make sense when transitioning from one soundscape to the next. I use a lot of the same drum kits and presets that I've made so hopefully my "sound" will shine through.
I haven't done an album either, but if song order is up in the air, I'd do a side a/b where one half of the album is one genre and the other half is the other. Transition pieces possibly, though they might also make a good beginning/end. Just food for thought.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
San Jose, California

Anyway, here are two of my tracks that I have as they are now. It would be great to hear if you guys think there is any connection between the two. I know this isn't the listening booth, but under the circumstances of this post I hope this is ok.

Cheers

::LINKS::

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

::LINKS::

------------------
Old 19-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17610

Quote:
It would be great to hear if you guys think there is any connection between the two.
yes, they sound like two tracks on the same album.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175060
Thanked 3,501 Times in 2,614 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to suggest you split that album and turn it into two individual projects..that way you will sidestep the issues which are currently holding you back or causing you concern. Face it, it's kinda hard to have continuity on an album with two diverse sections like you describe here. I'm not saying it's impossible..just that you're obviously making things harder for yourself than they need to be. The negative effect of all this is you can come away from this feeling you're less of a producer than you actually are.

Split it into two projects and work with one first..and maybe turn the second project/album into a new version of the first one..a different take on it in a different style, if you know what I mean.

All of this aside, it's important in future to plan your projects out in advance..it usually stops this kind of thing from happening.

Try to get an image in your mind that represents the overall feel or mood of the album you want to achieve and once you have that clear in your mind, start looking at the various instruments you have that can help you get that sound.

Then mess around with each instrument and find individual sounds that bring that mood even more to life..that actually realize that sound and turn it into something you can now hear, as well as feel and see in your mind's eye.

If you can do this, then I promise you working on the album will be a real joy and you'll find it more or less writes itself, as you will have removed most of the obstacles that usually inhibit or restrict the creative process before you end start writing or producing the first track.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote