Need your help guys
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-10-2016, 04:21 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts
Need your help guys

Seems Evelon is busy these days, perhaps someone could offer some advice:

I have something that bugs me. I am trying to recreate this seemingly simple sound at 1:25:40 in this here mix:

I am talking about the sawtooth bassline that I believe to go through a resonant band pass or low pass filter and probably a phaser with some reverb. Should be easy enough, but just can't get it that gnarly using the A4 and Minitaur. Am I on the right track here, or what's wrong with me?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410
Re: Need your help guys

I can't recommend smt to you but you know there's a tune called N*E*R*D - What's Wrong With Me
YO!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

Sounds to me like you need to mess around with the envelope of the filter and possibly key-track it. Also, the reverb sounds like it's highpassed on input. Not sure if the phaser is on the bassline, it may be on a separate noise channel with volume and filter linked to the bassline. You could try mixing some noise into your bass, it might accentuate the filter and phaser some, or you could make a separate noise channel to process independently.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536127
Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I am talking about the sawtooth bassline that I believe to go through a resonant band pass or low pass filter and probably a phaser with some reverb. Should be easy enough, but just can't get it that gnarly using the A4 and Minitaur. Am I on the right track here, or what's wrong with me?
Didn't you say you have a TB03?

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Didn't you say you have a TB03?
I was wondering if it was a 303, but it doesn't sound like one to me. What makes you think so?

------------------

Old 27-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26210

Sounds 303 ish enough to me.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Sounds like a 303 haha. It sounds similar to this track is well (skip to 2:30)

If you wanna recreate it using software, put one sawtooth through a LP cutoff with high resonance. Then send it through a distortion plugin (I personally use Camel Crusher. It's free and it's pretty rad sounding) then play around with the cutoff and resonance. It also sounds like there's some flanger going on, so you could put a little bit on it if you want.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Sounds like a tb303, yes.

Yep, I'm pretty busy these days. I'm just heading off to the studio to record myself playing drums (with Royers/Neumanns/Gefells, etc through Neve 1073 pres, API 1608 console, 1076 compressors, distressors, Barefoot micromain27, etc...weeee!)

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
lolirl (30-10-2016)
Old 27-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I was wondering if it was a 303, but it doesn't sound like one to me. What makes you think so?
Because it sounds like a 303 or some clone of one.

I recreated the sound w my 03. Or some close approximation that would easily work in a mix.

(:

------------------
Old 28-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
WillDarling
Minor Glitch
WillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really nice
The Isle of Wight, England
MC Status: 410

TB303, but run through a phaser.
WillDarling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #11
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- any luck?

------------------
Old 28-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I got close. About as close as using the Minitaur run through the A4 or using Serum. The thing I can't seem to get right is the somewhat muffled sound together with that sharp resonance. I drift into very metallic sounding when I dial up the resonance. I tried EQ, too. I remain in satisfied with my results. I'll give it a whirl with the Avalon.

------------------

Old 29-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #13
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

My guess is it'll do the trick.

------------------
Old 29-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I suck at recreating sounds.

------------------

Old 29-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #15
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

It's just a very specific sound.

A 303 stands out as a 303 because it's an iconic sound.

------------------
Old 29-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Yeah, for sure. This isn't the stereotypical 303 sound, hence I'm not entirely convinced.

------------------

Old 29-10-2016, 01:35 AM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

I guess we disagree.

(:

------------------
Old 30-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #18
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

I literally listened to one second with my iPad up to my ear cuz my gal is asleep right next to me, but..

Sounds like a 303 alright. But I'm like what's all this band pass filter, phaser, and reverb talk? Seems overcomplicated.. Granted it might have those things, I didn't listen long enough.

I haven't seen anybody mention distortion yet. 303 and 303+distortion are two different sounds in my book. I'm not a big fan of the distorted 393 sounds, but I heard your clip and that's instantly what came to mind.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute

Dude WTF with you? How can you find a bassline in that MIX (it longs for 2 hours) ....... you know what i'm saying ????
Update: Easy enought TB 303 Bassline .(dot) To recreate that you need to tweak knobs (automation) on your VSTi Synth of choice or whatever you're using. CUTOFF & Resonance - these parametres.
Old 30-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
st3aLth
Soundscaper

a squelching sound. to get that turn knobs up high *(resonance knob)
I did think so.

You can try LMMS - theres TB303 Clone if you wanna

Advertisements