problem with my monitors (please help)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 24-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419
problem with my monitors (please help)

recently i have been having some weird issues with my monitors and i was hoping some of you could help me out?

the first thing i notice is when i first turn them on the initial "pop" of them turning on is now a much higher tone. but the main problem is they have an intermittent crackling going on while they are on. the same issue is happening in both speakers, but it is not mono, and im pretty sure it started around the same time on both sides.

the problem is only sometimes there and its not a huge problem, but obviously i want to get it sorted.
it sounds to me like it might be an issue with the circuit they are sharing with other devices, but i have never heard this problem before and i dont know where to start diagnosing it. i will at some point start unplugging things around the house that share that circuit, but for now im looking for ideas.

the speakers are maybe about 5 years old, so not too old, and i have always turned things on and off in the correct order and with all volumes and gains at zero from day one (although they sometimes get used as general speakers by my family and although i have lectured them about it i cant guarantee they have done the same).

below is a recording of the sound they make. i have only put a HP @ 300Hz to get more headroom so the recording is noisy, but you can clearly hear the intermittent crackling.
its also worth noting that it is not usually as frequent as the recording, but it was particularly bad so i took the opportunity to record it.

any ideas would be hugely welcomed.

thanks guys

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: crackling from my speakers
Old 24-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
st3aLth
Soundscaper
st3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond reputest3aLth has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3410
Re: problem with my monitors (please help)

You better repair your monitors ))) I have that problem too. crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling

Go to the man who can repair your monitors . Usually it is a man who can soldering soldering iron (last sentence maybe all wrong)

------------------
st3aLth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744032091
Thanked 7,293 Times in 4,529 Posts

Not sure how much kit you have in your setup, but obviously unplug everything first, give everything a bit of a clean, plug it all back in and see if that helps as a first step.
It could literally be a bit of corrosion on a single cable somewhere.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3aLth View Post
You better repair your monitors ))) I have that problem too. crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling crackling

Go to the man who can repair your monitors . Usually it is a man who can soldering soldering iron (last sentence maybe all wrong)
i could fix them myself if i knew what the problem was

------------------
signature loading...
Old 25-10-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Not sure how much kit you have in your setup, but obviously unplug everything first, give everything a bit of a clean, plug it all back in and see if that helps as a first step.
It could literally be a bit of corrosion on a single cable somewhere.
not too much audio kit really, but there is quite a lot of other things on the same circuit in the house.
i will start with all the gear connected to the computer and give it all a good clean. if that doesnt help i suppose im going to have to unplug everything on that circuit and see what happens
thats my next day off ruined XD

thanks for the help

------------------
signature loading...
Old 23-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
Parricide

so i did a bit of testing and still could not get to the source of this issue, then i found this:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

..which sounds exactly like my problem, with the same speakers, KRK rokits (but 6" model instead of 8").
i havent tried the advice there yet but there is some really good info there, so i thought id share it to be dug up when somebody else has this issue.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
liquid_air (23-11-2016)