Worth giving away CDs these days?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460
Worth giving away CDs these days?

For me its hard to even get an online fanbase though i dont promote myself much really.

Im thinking that if someone has a hard CD then more likely to appreciate or listen to the music.

Is it worth putting CD in local music shops and places, even if its given away free.

Obviously one can add online links to the cd cover etc so if they like you then can follow you.

Or this is a bad idea?

Advertisements

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939181
Thanked 5,620 Times in 3,546 Posts
Re: Worth giving away cds these days?

It's not a horrible idea but you're essentially throwing money away by doing it free. Sell them at a low price. Shops will do a consignment where they get a cut of the sale of your CD, probably won't get much from that, likely 30-50 percent of that deal but at least it puts your album in a store and among the other albums from mainstream artists. Depending on how many you print and where you sell them, that could be fairly lucrative in the long run.

Work on your online promo. Research what to do on the various sites. NUMBER 1: HAVE GOOD MUSIC. Upload music to bandcamp and go through a distro to spotify, itunes and amazon. upload videos to YouTube AND facebook both and use the tags to steer people from band you sound like to your music. Use tagging in the descriptions of these videos. Put what genre you are in the TITLE of the videos. Talk to blogs and online radio stations about playing and reviewing your tunes. Do this for a few hours a day and eventually you will see results.

I'll also add in that you want a very presentable image, as in your album art and page designs (not necessarily photos of you) and well-designed pages/channel. Hire someone to do that for you if you think you suck at it.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513930
Thanked 6,460 Times in 4,618 Posts

I wish people would charge me a few bucks for a CD instead of try and tell me how to find them online...cuz I have to like even the worst song you performed that night to track you down myself.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
It's not a horrible idea but you're essentially throwing money away by doing it free. Sell them at a low price. Shops will do a consignment where they get a cut of the sale of your CD, probably won't get much from that, likely 30-50 percent of that deal but at least it puts your album in a store and among the other albums from mainstream artists. Depending on how many you print and where you sell them, that could be fairly lucrative in the long run.

Work on your online promo. Research what to do on the various sites. NUMBER 1: HAVE GOOD MUSIC. Upload music to bandcamp and go through a distro to spotify, itunes and amazon. upload videos to YouTube AND facebook both and use the tags to steer people from band you sound like to your music. Use tagging in the descriptions of these videos. Put what genre you are in the TITLE of the videos. Talk to blogs and online radio stations about playing and reviewing your tunes. Do this for a few hours a day and eventually you will see results.

I'll also add in that you want a very presentable image, as in your album art and page designs (not necessarily photos of you) and well-designed pages/channel. Hire someone to do that for you if you think you suck at it.
Ok i do that on a very small scale, guess not enough.

bandcamp got but not been on it for ages, not sure people even find my stuff there though?

Soundcloud got , but nothing much come off it.

Yoututbe and vids done that, again not much, maybe 30-50 views per song...without much advertisment...no comments. Though one woman asked to use my song for some of her art videos things...Also had someone ask use my songs for games he makes...nothing came off that though.

I guess your point is key though a few hours a day...not a few hours a month haha

thanks..and I just give away cd free it only costs 10 pound for 50 cds anyway, i make 300 per week and wont be giivng away more than 100 id imagine which is only 20 pound...If they all go and i got some good feedback then i would start charging...etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I wish people would charge me a few bucks for a CD instead of try and tell me how to find them online...cuz I have to like even the worst song you performed that night to track you down myself.

Im half alseep but that just went right over my head haha

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

tbh. unless I hear you live BD was impressed, that free CD would land in the dumpster en route to my car. I have to dig out the DVD drive, rip the thing, then listen to it and decide.

Tough business. Give shit away for free and have a comprehensive online presence. Comment on similar artists pages. It's not a priority for me, but it seems to be a consensus that this will work.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 AM   #6
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 147710
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,778 Posts

What's not worth shit is sitting there wondering if this and that is worth the "effort".

Just fucking do it. Litter your town with your cd's. See where that leads. If your music is any good, some of your cd's should find their way to cd players. That can't be bad.

ANd fuck all that "fanbase" bs... fuck that wannabe rockstar tripe. M'kay?
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94800
Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,246 Posts

You have to do it like those guys in Hollywood who prey on tourists - hand them a CD which they think is free and then hit them up for money. Note: this only really works if you are somewhat scary looking and loud.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

Yes. Think about it. Car stereos still have optical drives built in.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1510

I dunno... I am an old git, but I still think CD's are a thing of the past.

Once of my motors accepts SD cards and the other has blue teeth, so I never take CD's with me at all nowadays. Couple that with the fact that I am currently on a mission to support indie peeps by buying stuff off Bandcamp, I am not buying a lot of commercial CD's lately.

Also, I couldn't trust music stores as far as I could chuck 'em.

A very brief tale, if you will. I was in a band. Band created and album. Got a glass master and had a thousand CD's cut. Split said CD's between the three of us.

We spent the next eight months trying to get our album "out there." Most stores would take no more than five at a time. I even had five in at HMV... Had a bar code... Sold one there and I found out later it was bought by a friend of my wife's (she could have had one for nothing if she had of asked).

Years later, I still got two hundred in the loft. I got bored of selling trying to sell them...

If you did get some CD's made, either CDR or the glass master route, I would just hand them out like a business card. Don't use a standard jewel case... Get creative and make your own sleeves and save a bit of money that way.

Personally, I think online is the way to go, but that's just me

And there is actually a lot to what thom says a few posts above this

cheers

andy
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797

I handed few CDs that lead to few labels that wanted me to release my music on them, but those were UG labels so idk if people care. I mostly just give out tapes.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctoast View Post
I mostly just give out tapes.
Ah! Takes me back a bit that, to the times when no matter how much I spent on my hardware or tapes, they always got chewed up...

Do they still sell tapes? I think my mind must simply blank them out if they are still in the shops...
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #12
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

Just another thought; computer music magazine tried going diskless for a few months of the year. People must've been really pissed, because the last couple editions I've bought all came with them.

##powerofoptical
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939181
Thanked 5,620 Times in 3,546 Posts
Re: Worth giving away CDs these days?

For all the shit I see people post on the internet about CDs being a dead/dying medium, I sure af see a ton of people talking about buying CDs and record labels still produce them by the ton. It may yet go away but I don't think it'll be soon.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #14
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 18460

I think so people may not always listen to them, but a few people might. Some other people might remember what you look like or have it around, and you never know where it could travel to or get around at.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMSay View Post
Is it worth putting CD in local music shops and places, even if its given away free.
Think about how many producers are out there nowadays and how big local shops should be to let their CDs pile up on shelves. Go for vinyl if you can afford it, at least you're targeting a niche.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Mandoogles
Learning The Ropes
Mandoogles is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Anyway of promoting is promoting, and cds are relatively cheap way to do it. I'd like to add maybe getting business cards would help promote yourself.
Mandoogles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #17
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the rough
Philadephia
MC Status: 260

giving away CDs is like giving away a business card. you might feel accomplished once you give it away, but you never know whats going to happen to it. i suggest in this day in age, CDs should be given away for free rather than people paying for it
aktiveight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513930
Thanked 6,460 Times in 4,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktiveight View Post
giving away CDs is like giving away a business card. you might feel accomplished once you give it away, but you never know whats going to happen to it. i suggest in this day in age, CDs should be given away for free rather than people paying for it
If you hand me a business card chances are I will eventually use it to cut up my bud or tear it up to make a filter tip for a spliff. I can't think of a higher honor really. I'll probably give any CD at least one spin during my commute.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #19
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23310

I'd spin it right out the window, but that's a compliment as well

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
thom (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 147710
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I'd spin it right out the window, but that's a compliment as well
ROFL

jesus christ lol

Advertisements

thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote