FM help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 31-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts
FM help

Ciao Programming gurus, I have an FM question for all of you. Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling...

I have a Waldorf Blofeld which allows me to select any of the oscillators as FM source, but when doing so, I can only set the AMOUNT of FM I want to use, which limits FM potential because as far as I know, the volume of the modulator also plays an important role.

On the Blofeld the volume of the Osc regulates the actual volume that goes to the output, so anyone know how could I achieve a "classic" FM sound without being able to use control the volume of the modulator?

I suppose I could use one LFO for this, but as I don't know much about FM, does it make a difference if the LFO frequency is fixed and not tracking the pitch? I suppose no as (as far as I understand) the modulator pitch only affect the harmonic content of the carrier, but I'm not too sure.

I will ask about cross-modulation at a later stage...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts
Re: FM help

I dont know about the Blofeld specifically, but the FM amount should be performing the same function as the Modulator volume.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts

Thanks for that, makes perfectly sense! Experimented a bit more last night and it's starting to make more sense.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

no problemo!

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote