Future bass lead/bass help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 31-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania
MC Status: 310
Future bass lead/bass help

i've been listening a lot to future bass recently and some dropa has a sound that sounds like a low octave saw, but i cant seem to replicate it, you can listen to it in anonymous by jackal and impression of you by giraffage... Any thoughts?

Advertisements

djfablebr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620
Re: Future bass lead/bass help

On giraffage track it sounds like simple triangle wave with maybe some saturation on it.

EDIT: Started to recreate Giraffage bass with Massive, if it was what you meant

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
djfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the roughdjfablebr is a jewel in the rough
Goiania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
On giraffage track it sounds like simple triangle wave with maybe some saturation on it.

EDIT: Started to recreate Giraffage bass with Massive, if it was what you meant

Sorry, im not so good with texhnical language, what do you mean by saturation?

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
Old 31-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfablebr View Post
Sorry, im not so good with texhnical language, what do you mean by saturation?

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
It's basically compression that fattens the sound little bit. What VST synth are you using? Also, was it the bass that you were interested in?

------------------

Old 31-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:
It's basically compression that fattens the sound little bit. What VST synth are you using? Also, was it the bass that you were interested in?

I use mostly serum, but i can use massive aswell. And yes it is the bass

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
Old 31-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
I use mostly serum, but i can use massive aswell. And yes it is the bass

soundcloud.com/djfablebr

My shitty attempt on recreating the bass

------------------

Old 31-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:

Its pretty identical actually, im impressed

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
Old 31-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:

If you could remake so well the bass in the original song, do you think you can do the low synth on the electric mantis remix too?

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
Old 31-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
If you could remake so well the bass in the original song, do you think you can do the low synth on the electric mantis remix too?

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
You mean the saw at the beginning of the track?

------------------

Old 31-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
djfablebr
Minor Glitch
Goiania

Quote:
You mean the saw at the beginning of the track?

The saw on the drop, after the softer one

soundcloud.com/djfablebr
Old 31-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #11
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540980
Thanked 7,001 Times in 4,975 Posts

Quote:
Im pretty sure saturation is not compression.

Last edited by relic; 31-08-2016 at 05:24 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Im pretty sure saturation is not compression.
Wanted to keep it simple and not go into the whole "origins of tape saturation" thing.

Also, would be cool for you to post your own version of explaining saturation instead of just disagreeing.

------------------

Old 31-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Not all saturation is from tape. As I understand it saturation adds harmonics that werent previously present which make sounds fuller, or rounder, or bigger, or warmer. Whatever one prefers. Its same principle as distortion. Im sure these days there are all kinds of different ways to generate distortion and saturation. And this explination might be pretty unscientific or partially wrong.

Yes, recording to tape does cause some"compression" of the sound, but that is the nature of the tape medium, not a standard quality of saturation. Tape just happens to do both.

------------------
Old 31-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Not all saturation is from tape. As I understand it saturation adds harmonics that werent previously present which make sounds fuller, or rounder, or bigger, or warmer. Whatever one prefers. Its same principle as distortion. Im sure these days there are all kinds of different ways to generate distortion and saturation. And this explination might be pretty unscientific or partially wrong.

Yes, recording to tape does cause some"compression" of the sound, but that is the nature of the tape medium, not a standard quality of saturation. Tape just happens to do both.
Claiming saturation as "compression" is incorrect, I agree with that. But as I understand tape saturation, the "warmth" and harmonics occur when one overloads the tape in recording phase. Saturation reduces the level of transient peaks by distorting them -> saturation.

------------------

Thanks to Johnson Academy
relic (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Claiming saturation as "compression" is incorrect, I agree with that. But as I understand saturation, the "warmth" and harmonics occur when one overloads the recording medium in recording phase. Saturation reduces the level of transient peaks by distorting them -> saturation.
Not talking tape only

EDIT: Fuck, I was supposed to edit.

------------------

Thanks to Johnson Academy
relic (31-08-2016)
Old 31-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Claiming saturation as "compression" is incorrect, I agree with that. But as I understand tape saturation, the "warmth" and harmonics occur when one overloads the tape in recording phase. Saturation reduces the level of transient peaks by distorting them -> saturation.
That is probably true. Im not sure if that happens, scientifically, when you overload, say, a mixer channel, but in my mind that makes perfect sense. Though answering "what is saturation?" by saying its compression is misleading, especially for a beginner. A saturation FX and a compressor, at the end of the day, do pretty different things and are not really interchangeable tools--this is why I think it would be very misleading.

Advertisements

------------------