The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 28-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts
The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips

All,

I know that many here have integrated an iPad into their setup and I am sure you all have some favorites when it comes to apps, best ways to integrate the iPad, using control surfaces, using the iPad to control hard and/or soft synths, and some other useful tips. So, let's start putting them together here.

A

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts
Re: The dedicated iOS thread: best apps and production tips

I primarily use iPad for synths, my favorites are:

iSem by Arturia
Korg M1
and Vogel CMI (a Farlight CMI emulator)

I use an iConnect 4+ interface for all of my HW midi gear and use the USB port to send midi to iPad, as well as have build an Aggregated Device in MacOS to allow for use of both the iConnect and MOTU 828 simultaneously. I am able to sequence the iPad in Ableton and digitally track the audio output.

The only kicker is the latency, I just keep in mind that everything is going to track in a bit late, so i warp the first downbeat of whatever my sequence is to get it all back in line.

I started relying on the Korg M1 so much that I opted to buy the AU, it just made more sense for automation and instant recall of songs where I wasnt ready to commit my sequences to Audio.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

I kinda have a 2 tier way of doing it.
1, use patterning to sequence drum apps (pretty much only ruismaker and ruismaker fm these days) and audiobus to keep it to play in time with link to gadget. I am also sequencing isem from patterning, all in AUM.
That will all eventually get sampled into the hardware.
Then 2 : sequence synths from mpc for now to go along with the mpc and octatrack.
Eventually I want to add more midi options so I can choose the sequence synths from any source (mpc, octatrack or live).
Best apps IMO:
Patterning
Both Ruismakers
iSEM
Animoog
Thor
iM1
Nave

A few more and a bunch of effects, mostly AUx effects.
I got cubasis but I find it is missing a few important things for me to really use a lot, mostly link sync right now.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts

I use Korg gadget a lot and ModStep is a brilliant midi sequencer.
My latest fun sampler is Strom for IPad, fast sampling, basic editing, slicing and a few playback options, ressmple and create new sounds immediately. Fastest shit ever. You can upgrade and send the samples straight to Analog Rytm, together with lots of editing functions but haven't gotten it yet.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533430
Thanked 6,850 Times in 4,877 Posts

At the moment I'm mostly using the iPad as a sampler/drum machine. I'm using patterning for drums and vocal chops. It is slaved to the A4 via MIDI and I'm using the keyboard buttons on the A4 as mute buttons for the mixer tracks in Patterning.

I like iM1 and Sunrizer (basic subtractive synth, but has really nice tone over all and low CPU usage). I have PPG Wave, but I honestly don't understand how to use it at all.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

I play with Soundprism a lot on my phone when I get a little free time at work. It's easy to mess around with melodic structures.
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Just downloaded Audio Damage Grind hoping that it along with Master Record (a tape emulation and audio recorder) to beef up samples going into the E2S for an upcoming project. Will try to remember to report back.

------------------
Old 25-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

The best production environment I found so far is Auria Pro as an iOS DAW. On a powerful iPad Pro it provides a lot of capabilities. I bought the entire FabFilter suite from the in App Store, which provides full blown versions of ALL FabFilter plugs and imho they sound absolutely stunning. The interface looks the same and they sound the same. I've played around with Beatmaker 3, but to me Auria Pro is the benchmark.

The essential list (always subjective) consists of a range of very capable synths and rather unique apps:

conventional synths
Model 15 by Moog - stunning analog sound, especially moogy LPF sweeps
Cassini
Mersenne (great for soft sounds, gorgeous GUI, very capable ARP)
LayR (Multi Osc multi layer subtractive synth)

sound scaper tools
SoundScaper - a sample based tool for all sorts of mayhem
now surpassed by

SynthScaper: I can't say enough great things about it, same guy as SoundScaper made it: Three Osc with four layers, each. Fully customizable with samples, six assignable LFOs, multiple envelopes, per layer modulation, three FX plus reverb per Osc, special designer, Arp per Osc and per layer, assignable (per Osc and layer) vertical position modulation. This is a beast!

TC-11: fully customizable modular synth with equally customizable unique touch pad playability, sensitive to multi touch and gestures (you can configure this!!), a live performers dream and a brilliant sound

Attack by Waldorf: drum synth, killer app

Troublemaker: best TB303 app for iOS

Samplr: touch your samples in a playable manner, it's so unique

iDensity: nice sample mangler with tons of modulations, similar to SoundScaper, but less capable and hence more accessible

Hokusai: Audacity like app for iOS - extract snippets from iTunes or Dropbox
Droneo: a nice tool for drones, catnip for ambient heads
SpaceVibe: all sorts of noise and drone stuff, really unique
Audulus: this is a fully modular synth - like Reaktor for iOS
Bebot: all sorts of interesting sounds in a highly playable package, excellent theremin space sounds and wicked bass
Turnado and WOW: SugarBytes' Desktop VSTs fully ported
SquashIt compressor

Honorable mentions: Jussi, Pads, Laplace, Lorentz, FM4, Bias, Filtatron, iMaschine

Here's a sample I made entirely on iOS using Auria, SoundScaper, Model15, iMaschine, and Cassini:

Last edited by liquid_air; 25-09-2017 at 11:18 PM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Maybe troublemaker will stomp on my Monologue lust.

------------------
Old 29-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Zeeon is the mutts nuts synth wise, also patterning is great.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269457708
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,802 Posts

I'm still in love with Nave, sampling the shit out of it.
And I wish Attack would get an update to support Ableton Link...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote