[Disco House] - Entox - Fly Away
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 20-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2134
[Disco House] - Entox - Fly Away

Hey all.

I have been making some disco house as of late which has been inspired by a collaboration with a mate of mine who used to love his disco house, along with the inspiration from netflix's get down series.

We shall be putting together an entire album of disco house which will be released under our collaborative name 'Funk Partie'.

This is the first track we started a few weeks back and is still work in progress, but wanted to get everyone's opinions on the style.

It has a sample from Cloud One's - Atmosphere Strut from 1976...

Hope you enjoy, feedback very much welcome on this as it's my first ever sampled disco track...

Last edited by Entox; 21-04-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Disco House] - Entox - Fly Away.
Old 20-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
plsnp
Regular Freak
plsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura aboutplsnp has a spectacular aura about
Amsterdam
MC Status: 210
Re: [Disco House] - Entox - Fly Away

Sounds rad, I'm hearing some cool snare rolls, and the same is pretty cool too.

But where is the breakdown ? Might help to preventing it sound too monotonous.
plsnp is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10110

I love me some Disco House and I instantly loved this track. I think you really nailed the Disco House sound, it really fits well. I really enjoyed the overall vibe of the track, the happy and bright sound. The sampling was also done really well, so good job!

I do think the song sounds a bit monotonous at times, like the song goes for too long. There are breaks in between the track to bring the energy level down but I feel like it's not different enough from the rest of the song. I think there should be a bigger contrast between the breaks and the hooks.

Also, this is more personal preference above anything else, but I'm not a fan of the kick drum. I personally think a kick with more body to it would fit better, like in the tracks "Music Sounds Better With You" by Stardust or "Voyager" by Daft Punk. Though, again, that's just my personal preference.

Still, I'm really digging this track. Can't wait to hear the album man. Perhaps you could send me a PM when it's done

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
JayMSay
Savage Mad Cunt
JayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond reputeJayMSay has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

nice change of music here, all boogie nights and tarantinoey, jackie brown, nice i like this style in fact i should try make it also, love when the bass kicks in.

how u get the vocal sample? u download online?

Actually considering this not your main style pretty good and pro sounding...good disco house tune.

nice use of effects etc at the break, then dat bass boom back in, nice..only flaw but maybe nature of song/genre was just got a repetitive with that vocal sample as it went on, not much change up in the song, got a bit tiring but im sure if im sitting high in some room it flows well and does the job...decent outro to...good job mate 5stars

------------------
JayMSay is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19360

I like the direction it was going. The sample was nice, and the synth was a good addition if it was not a piece of the sample. I think there should be a breakdown or something in the middle of it that keeps it from feeling too repetitive. It has a lot of potential, and this may be personal preference, but I'd like to hear the bass over the kick personally.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol

Hey thanks for the feenback all.

I agree that it needs a break, but i just couldn't get anything that i thought that worked as well as when the track just breaks slightly and carries on.

I might try playing around with a few ideas to try and see what i can come up with. I'm very much baring this advise in mind for future tracks for the album.

I actually produced the track as about a 4 min track, but then got into a thing and ended up putting the extra few minutes on the end as i just felt it needed something more to cresendo the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newworldorder
The sample was nice, and the synth was a good addition if it was not a piece of the sample.
Thanks man, that was an addition i added using a monosynth subtractor in reason going through a chorus flanger.

I shall try turning down the kick slightly and see how the bass sounds.

Update coming soon hopefully...

Anyone else?

------------------
Old 27-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
jRulloz
Microknight
jRulloz is a jewel in the roughjRulloz is a jewel in the roughjRulloz is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Great job mate! Can really feel the disco vibe going!
Loving the bass and the hats/snares, but I have to agree with the other users and say it needs some sort of breakdown since it really is a bit monotonus. Other than that, amazing!
jRulloz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jRulloz View Post
Great job mate! Can really feel the disco vibe going!
Loving the bass and the hats/snares, but I have to agree with the other users and say it needs some sort of breakdown since it really is a bit monotonus. Other than that, amazing!
Thanks Man.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully i will find a good way of breaking it down before it goes on the album.

TBH i have been thinking about cutting it down to about 4:05 so it's just a full 4 mins of disco houseyness without a break!...

------------------
Old 30-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
jRulloz
Microknight
jRulloz is a jewel in the roughjRulloz is a jewel in the roughjRulloz is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entox View Post
Thanks Man.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully i will find a good way of breaking it down before it goes on the album.

TBH i have been thinking about cutting it down to about 4:05 so it's just a full 4 mins of disco houseyness without a break!...
What about changing the vocal sample a bit more in the break? To spice things up a bit

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
jRulloz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
antagonist85
Learning The Ropes
antagonist85 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If I had a car, I'd love to play this and go for a late night drive.
antagonist85 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by antagonist85 View Post
If I had a car, I'd love to play this and go for a late night drive.
A plane would be even better...

------------------
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
tama262
Minor Glitch
tama262 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

French house is sweet,change you're melody a bit more,add a break down and you're base is cool.
tama262 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama262 View Post
French house is sweet,change you're melody a bit more,add a break down and you're base is cool.
Cheers dude.

------------------
Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
Aurongroove
Soundscaper
Aurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond reputeAurongroove has a reputation beyond repute
West of Ireland
MC Status: 3010

The Dubbiness of the kick is a bit too much, typically in this style you'd have a much crisper, compressed Kick.

Another odditiy is the filter sweep at the beginning, it dips and goes up and down, this almost never happens, it really ought to be one long opening or closing of the filter gate, unless your dealing with the special case of it being a fill or small up beat to a particular section.

Everything else is on point and very, very tasty.

If I have a musical suggestion, some folk have complained about it being "too repetitive" "change the sample" "change the melody". Well, yes this style of music is typically repetitive, but, you already have a solution to this problem that the track is practically crying out for:

This track needs like a classic disco 'get down' middle 8/16/32. Basically a section somewhere after the middle of the track where the vocals and everything clears off for a bit and you just have the basics; the kick, the bassline and a few of the percussive elements to hold down a basic representation of the groove. It's a feature that has even carried across to lots of classic house tracks; that bit where the basic groove is suddenly shown completely naked.

It would suit this track so well and it's an an absolutely classic feature of disco and funk (as well as house and disco house). When the vocals and riffs and stuff clears off for a few bars and you can freely dance your tits off to the groove. Just you, the drums, the bass, and a nice clap/snare on the 2 and 4.

it would also give listeners a break from the insistent vocal loop. Two Birds. One Stone.

Good luck with the project, It sounds like it's going to be unreal!

------------------
a big Unregistered fan

Aurongroove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #15
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurongroove View Post
The Dubbiness of the kick is a bit too much, typically in this style you'd have a much crisper, compressed Kick.

Another odditiy is the filter sweep at the beginning, it dips and goes up and down, this almost never happens, it really ought to be one long opening or closing of the filter gate, unless your dealing with the special case of it being a fill or small up beat to a particular section.

Everything else is on point and very, very tasty.

If I have a musical suggestion, some folk have complained about it being "too repetitive" "change the sample" "change the melody". Well, yes this style of music is typically repetitive, but, you already have a solution to this problem that the track is practically crying out for:

This track needs like a classic disco 'get down' middle 8/16/32. Basically a section somewhere after the middle of the track where the vocals and everything clears off for a bit and you just have the basics; the kick, the bassline and a few of the percussive elements to hold down a basic representation of the groove. It's a feature that has even carried across to lots of classic house tracks; that bit where the basic groove is suddenly shown completely naked.

It would suit this track so well and it's an an absolutely classic feature of disco and funk (as well as house and disco house). When the vocals and riffs and stuff clears off for a few bars and you can freely dance your tits off to the groove. Just you, the drums, the bass, and a nice clap/snare on the 2 and 4.

it would also give listeners a break from the insistent vocal loop. Two Birds. One Stone.

Good luck with the project, It sounds like it's going to be unreal!
Thanks for the detailed feedback man.

I went through a lot of these ideas with the guy who i am collaborating with on friday night and i am going to give the track a bit of a re-birth and see what happens.

We are so busy with other tracks though i will probably plan to do this when i get a bit stuck with another track, or when i am ready to put the album together.

Really coming together now, even my mates singing is getting better...

------------------
Old 13-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
dj_patm
Master of the LFO
dj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MCdj_patm is a savage MC
Calgary
MC Status: 256174

Oooo yeeee. Love me some disco house.

I think this song could really pop if you flushed out the bass and kick to give it a more modern house feel (ala Daft Punk). I felt like I was waiting for that the entire time. You have a lot of good perc fills (like the rolls) and the sample works well. I feel like if you had a loud hard kick and a strong bassline this would be epic.

Just my taste though!

------------------
http://www.facebook.com/mystricmusic

I like remixing pop songs.
dj_patm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #17
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
Oooo yeeee. Love me some disco house.

I think this song could really pop if you flushed out the bass and kick to give it a more modern house feel (ala Daft Punk). I felt like I was waiting for that the entire time. You have a lot of good perc fills (like the rolls) and the sample works well. I feel like if you had a loud hard kick and a strong bassline this would be epic.

Just my taste though!
Hey man.

The bass and kick sound pretty loud in my studio here, so much so i was thinking of turning them down!

I will assess on the monitors and report back...

Thanks for listening.

------------------
Old 25-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #18
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Changed around the mix a bit and added more obvious breakdowns on this now...

------------------
Old 25-01-2017, 06:01 PM   #19
Entox
Deep Underground
Bristol

Updated once again...

1:30ish shorter now and some production tweaks.

------------------
Old 11-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #20
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2860

So, when I produce music my wife can hear everything, she sometimes helps me with opinions if i really need opinion of someone who doesn't listen to house music.

My point is, my wife would go insane on this repetativnes. That's all I can think off. ^.^

Now, I do think track is repetative JUST beacause it doesn't have that X factor bass that makes you wanna listen to it MORE and MORE and MORE of that sounds. Thought somehow giving it more punch to a song. be it a bass or some stabs at the start of each tact would quite possibly bring this to a new level. Now, I'm not quice sure how to do that but you know, Junior Jack songs, every song has that, even tho repetative, I want hear is again and again feeling

Advertisements

Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote