What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2010
What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?

Hello,
I'm interested in what monitors people have in their studios.
So what pair(s) are you rocking and do they get their job done appropriately
Cheers!

Edit: Oh and put a picture as well if you want

Advertisements

------------------
DjRapitops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8525230
Thanked 6,686 Times in 4,768 Posts
Re: What monitors do you have and why would you recommend them?

I'm really not trying to be negative, I will tell you what I would recommend in a moment, but I think there is an inherent problem with your question which would be true across all music forums on the internet. Most of the answers you will get are going to be from people with budget monitors setup in untreated rooms. And they are all going to tell you they think their brand/model of monitor has the flattest frequency response for the money. Also many people won't have had experience with more than one pair of monitors. I'm not saying my opinion is worth a damn because it is colored by the same issues I described above (more or less).

If you can, go listen before you buy. If you are only invest in monitors that are at or under $500 USD and aren't going to be in a treated room I'd say it doesn't really matter. Pick the ones you like the looks of the most because you are just going to have to learn how to work with them in your studio space. If you are going to work in a treated room I'd be far more careful in choosing.

I'm a huge fan of Equator Audio's D Series monitors. For the D5's in particular really beat the pants off most of the other monitor pairs in the 400USD price range for accurate frequency response. They use a coaxial cone design which is a bit different from the standard design--don't ask me to explain why this is better, but when I was shopping for monitors the reviews discussing the difference helped sell me. They also have different DSP settings for "near wall" and "near corner" which helps in an untreated room. The only problem is that they are a smaller manufacturer so sometimes their products are a bit hard to get after.

Previously I had Rokit 6 G2s and in comparison the Equators just blow them out of the water. The Rokit 6s had fatiguing mids and highs and boom bass in comparison.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #3
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Relic is pretty much right. It truly doens't matter what you get or what anyone else will suggest, because if your room is untreated (like most of ours), it truly doesn't matter what pair of monitors you get. Your best bet is to test a couple out and see which ones sound the best to you and are in your budget. Then, just be sure to referrence to tracks on other listening tools (headphones, for example) and ensure they sound right everywhere.

That said, reccomendations aren't a bad thing. At the very least, they'll steer you in the right direction of which brands to look for and what to watch out in the brands you may get.

I have Behringer's Truth B2031A pair of monitors. I got them because, well, they're cheap. They do the job well enough. However, if I do any EQing on them, my tracks will sound very midrangey, so look out for that.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18860

I do most of my work through headphones (sennheiser HD 280 pro) and only reference my tracks on my stereo and other headphones. It's certainly not an ideal setup, but it's cheap, portable, cheap, and doesn't require room treatment (cheap and easy). I'm at an advantage there because I've had the 280s longer than my stereo or other headphones (4 years now) and use them almost daily, so I'm most used to their sound. In fact, I've only been making music for two years, so I was used to their sound even before I started. I don't think they've held me back any, nor do I think I would I be making better music with a better setup.

Above all, I recommend picking a system and getting ready to use it for a long time so you get to know it and can get the most out of whatever you end up with. And I wouldn't entirely write headphones off if you want to save money and not worry about your room (I know I do every time I turn on my stereo).
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
papo
Microknight
papo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Genelec 8030B
They sound great
I also use beyerdynamic dt 880 headphones
papo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7710

Probably unpopular, but these days I do the final touch just on my shitty laptop speakers, because that's what 99% of people will likely listen on. Part of me is convinced that's why a lot of music has bass in the mid range, not in the actual bass range, like that bro step or whatever people call it now.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
Narukami Music (23-08-2016)
Old 23-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389548
Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,759 Posts

I have the Munrosonic EGG 150 and I have them because they are among the best ones I've heard. I love them.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm not going to recommend them to you. Instead, I will recommend doing what I did: Go to a music gear store and try out A BUNCH of different monitors (with your favorite music in lossless format). Spend your time listening to them all. Analyze. Dissect. Compare.
Here's the point - pick the ones that YOU like. It's that simple. Don't believe in the hype and "colored cones" suggestions on forums/facebook/blogs/etc.
[also buy the monitors from that store. Support your local businesses. They are dying and going extinct because of the "mega online music stores".]

We all have different tastes, references, backgrounds and previous experience. That's why all "what monitors shold I buy?"-threads ends up in just namedropping (usually low-end/budget ones like KRK, Yamaha, Mackie, M-audio, etc).

It's important that YOU like YOUR monitors. You will spend maaaany hours on them.
Learning monitors (like the back of your hand) also takes time. Years even. So you need to treat yourself with a good start.
JMHO.

Last edited by Evelon; 23-08-2016 at 05:01 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
relic (24-08-2016)
Old 23-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
Probably unpopular, but these days I do the final touch just on my shitty laptop speakers, because that's what 99% of people will likely listen on. Part of me is convinced that's why a lot of music has bass in the mid range, not in the actual bass range, like that bro step or whatever people call it now.
This is actually a fair thing to do, tbh and I do this as well (although I listen on my iPod speakers). If you can get shit to sound good on expensive gear and on cheap gear, most people will truly be able to appreciate your tracks

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

I have a pair of Event ALP5s that I like very much, I've used them for nearly 2 years now and they completely murder the stupid KRK Rokit Bullshits I was using before. Problem with recommending those is that they no longer make them but Event is a reputable company and I'm a fan of their monitors in general. Like Relic said though, you're going to get many different answers and the best route to take is actually go down to guitar center or wherever they sell monitors and sit in their little studio with your favorite album and jam the monitors they have on offer.

------------------
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

ESI n-ear 08. great depth, very linear response, may lack a bit in the bass department so you need to invest in some (sub) bass.

reason: see above, also, dirt fucking cheap. i like cheap gear.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #11
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2010

Great answers so far,
I shall find a nearby store and look (and listen) at the monitors they have there.
Thanks!

------------------
DjRapitops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRapitops View Post
Great answers so far,
I shall find a nearby store and look (and listen) at the monitors they have there.
Thanks!
One of the wisest choices you could make.
Is F-Musiikki stilll there in Helsinki? I'm sure they have a bunch to try out. Or the other stores that I'm sure you know better than me, haha.
I was touring and played at Molly Malone's several times a few years back, doing stunts of 7 shows for 7 days straight there (always finishing it off being drunk and eating makkara perunat from the food stand/caravan down the street towards the train station). Madhouse! Great memories!

Last edited by Evelon; 25-08-2016 at 09:19 AM..

------------------
Old 25-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,869 Posts

meyer sound HD1 and Amie as primaries and various Dynaudio units as secondary.

because meyer is the fucking tits.

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

So gay.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49660

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: the brick and mortar approach works well if you have a decent selection where you live. I did have to rely on reviews much more. If that's the situation for the OP, what I found useful is to read as many reviews as possible and look for consistency. It takes good judgement. The Egg came up as one of the top rated speakers and that created some serious gear lust. With a price tag of well over $2000 that also topped out the range of prices. So I went for the "budget" HS-8 from Yamaha (really, man, you think they're low-end/budget monitors?), as they were rated very high. Earlier models were considered a reference class, so Yamaha must be doing a thing or two right.

But beyond that, to make a decision between different highly rated monitors without listening to them is a guessing game. Then again, I am convinced that the differences are really very subtle. The listening approach seems to be prone towards bias. You may hear the difference you want when you've started to lean in one direction, even if it has very little to do with the sound.

That said, I picked the HS-8 because of Yamaha's reputation for making solid workhorse monitors, the consistently favorable reviews (multiple platforms, Amazon, Google, forums, professional reviews), the price was reasonable ($450 per speaker) and because they come in white.

Budget speakers?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Numerical (25-08-2016)
Old 25-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #15
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

I have a pair of ADAM A5X's. Absolutely love them. I do need to pick up a good sub for them at some point though, probably the ADAM Sub8 should be fine

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
meyer sound HD1 and Amie as primaries and various Dynaudio units as secondary.

because meyer is the fucking tits.
those alone cost around thrice of what my whole setup costs. hope your studio is insured this time.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Budget speakers?
KRK and Yamaha have fairly good speakers for being budget. That's what I meant.

Yamaha NS10m are one of the most shitty sounding speakers of all time. Don't get me started. They sure knew how to convince people to buy them. Brilliant marketing. KRK are doing a good job following that lead.
Edit: JMHO.

Last edited by Evelon; 25-08-2016 at 01:41 PM..

------------------
Old 25-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

I have a pair of JBL LSR308's. They are absolute monsters for the price. Once you get used to the sound, you will have one of the best stereo images and then widest positioning sweet spot that I have ever found. If you have a smaller space, get the 305's. I kind of regret getting the larger ones in my current space.
SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
those alone cost around thrice of what my whole setup costs. hope your studio is insured this time.
it's so fucking insured

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

So gay.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Yamaha HS5 are not so pricey and so damn precise.

Advertisements

BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote