I'm a web developer and I think I've made the most organized web sample/sound library
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
samplefocus
Regular Freak
samplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Icon3 I'm a web developer and I think I've made the most organized web sample/sound library

Hi guys,

Here's the link -> samplefocus.com

Essentially its like YouTube for audio samples. Originally created because I had a massively unorganized sample library on my own hard drive, I though there must be a better way. The sounds are organized fairly meticulously using categories and tags.

It's really not quite optimized for touch devices since you preview sounds using mouse hover, so I apologize for mobile users in advance.

I would love your honest feedback!

Is this something you would consistently use?

Advertisements

samplefocus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts
Re: I'm a web developer and I think I've made the most organized web sample/sound lib

Looks nice and seems to partially work. A few samples at the bottom of the page would'nt play when hovering over them.
Good web design.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts
Re: I'm a web developer and I think I've made the most organized web sample/sound lib

very well designed, and FAST

i use an old lappie for browsing. i guess you dont use all those asshole .js shit that bogs stuff down

neatly done man. bookmarked and adblock deactivated, good work needs moneys

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf

p.s. if you search for "english horn" it gives an empty result

maybe because of the space between terms
maybe because there is none and the feedback is missing (like, "you hit missingno3, try again later, you fucking cunt")

------------------
Old 25-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
samplefocus
Regular Freak
samplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of lightsamplefocus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab View Post
p.s. if you search for "english horn" it gives an empty result

maybe because of the space between terms
maybe because there is none and the feedback is missing (like, "you hit missingno3, try again later, you fucking cunt")
Good feedback! I changed the the result of an empty search result so it makes more sense.
Old 26-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

This is actually really cool. The UI is really nice and organized and the sounds I've found so far are pretty mint.

Just a few things I wanna say, though.
1) Are the samples royalty free? I know the FAQ said the sounds are free but it's just some legality issues to think about, I guess.

2) The playback is a little wonky, imo. I would hover my mouse over the sounds and it would take like a minute or two until it would actually play. Then, when you click on the sample and try to check it out by itself, it seems really screwy. Perhaps you could work on that little more.

I do like the site though, I'll probbly end up using it more in the future

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote:
i use an old lappie for browsing. i guess you dont use all those asshole .js shit that bogs stuff down
Ironically, these it's the JavaScript that makes things so snappy

Looks cool OP.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Nystagmus (26-07-2016)
Old 26-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
ab
IDMf Artist
Duesseldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Ironically, these it's the JavaScript that makes things so snappy

Looks cool OP.
is it the same mechanism that makes your grammar suck so bad?

------------------
Thanks to ab
Nystagmus (26-07-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
is it the same mechanism that makes your grammar suck so bad?
I think it's the same as your punctuation.
Thanks to Jaded
vashima (29-07-2016)
Old 27-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
samplefocus
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukami Music View Post
1) Are the samples royalty free? I know the FAQ said the sounds are free but it's just some legality issues to think about, I guess.

2) The playback is a little wonky, imo. I would hover my mouse over the sounds and it would take like a minute or two until it would actually play. Then, when you click on the sample and try to check it out by itself, it seems really screwy. Perhaps you could work on that little more.
Thanks for the questions!

1) The intent here is that users do not upload copyrighted samples, I will make that more clear. There is an approval step before samples are published but as with any user generated content site there is never a 100% guarantee that the sound is legal.

2) Great feedback! Some sounds take a longer to load than others which is I think what you experienced. I'm curious about what you mean about when you click on a sample. Could you elaborate? What seems screwy?

Again all these comments are gold so thanks in advance
Old 30-07-2016, 03:35 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplefocus View Post
1) The intent here is that users do not upload copyrighted samples, I will make that more clear. There is an approval step before samples are published but as with any user generated content site there is never a 100% guarantee that the sound is legal.
Yeah this is a problem because all current audio recordings are copyrighted.

You need users to agree that they have license to distribute the sample in its current form. They must also be able to indicate the license which they are distributing the sample under (e.g. a Creative Commons, MIT, GPL, all rights reserved etc).

In 2016, it's not enough for a tech provider to say "We don't intend for users to do illegal things." If you don't get on top of this stuff from the very beginning, you're SoundCloud.

If you haven't already bought some legal advice, you really should.
Old 30-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #12
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplefocus View Post
2) Great feedback! Some sounds take a longer to load than others which is I think what you experienced. I'm curious about what you mean about when you click on a sample. Could you elaborate? What seems screwy?
It's hard to explain. Basically, when I hover my mouse over the sample, it works like a charm but when I actually click on the sample to view the whole thing, the playback when viewing the whole sample gets wonky. There's no play or pause button so it gets kind of weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Yeah this is a problem because all current audio recordings are copyrighted.

You need users to agree that they have license to distribute the sample in its current form. They must also be able to indicate the license which they are distributing the sample under (e.g. a Creative Commons, MIT, GPL, all rights reserved etc).

In 2016, it's not enough for a tech provider to say "We don't intend for users to do illegal things." If you don't get on top of this stuff from the very beginning, you're SoundCloud.

If you haven't already bought some legal advice, you really should.

What Jaded said is correct. The idea of a site that shares user-created samples can work, sites like Looperman and Freesound exist. You just need to make sure that the people sharing their own samples need to understand that their samples will be royalty free 100%, and that it is their own sample that they're sharing and not somebody else's work.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 02:18 AM   #13
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

wow this looks amazing. this is something as an artist i could really see my self utilizing. seems like freesound but really geared towards music production which is something i wish existed. just requested a beta too

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #14
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

it looks really great but I just wish there were more sounds on there
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
ab
IDMf Artist
Duesseldorf

you fixed the nil result search. your "no results found" site didnt insult me tho.

odd thing: if you bookmark it in google chrome (ctrl-d), the title is empty. if i bookmark anything, theres a fuckton of text there which i usually delete since i got to know the favicon so i dont need no text.

godspeed good sir or madam

------------------
Old 01-08-2016, 03:15 AM   #16
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

omg.. thank you.

I've been waiting to abandon freesound for a long time. They haven't changed the cumbersome process of downloading samples in like 10 years.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
samplefocus
Regular Freak

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I can't seem to replicate that bookmark bug...

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
you're absolutely right. I've added some more clarifications to the site and definitely intend to make clear this isn't a site about piracy
Old 29-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
Pocatello, Idaho
MC Status: 13560

Looks pretty cool! Nice design too. I just signed up for the beta. LET ME IN!
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110

Fellow Web Developer by day here, let me in pretty please.

This site is just one of those things that's gonna be a success,
unless the chinese make a cheaper one.
At least they're on another internet
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Valk
vashima (29-08-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
SadSandwich
Minor Glitch
SadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to beholdSadSandwich is a splendid one to behold
Plano, TX
MC Status: 760

Well this is awesome. I see huge potential in something like this as well. People could create their own sample packs and charge a price, you get a cut of the price, everyone is happy.

Advertisements

SadSandwich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote