Nord a1 or Lead 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 17010
Nord a1 or Lead 4

The title is a bit inaccurate. What I am looking for is a synth I can take on the road , and still be very flexible in the studio. I have a prophet and a sub 37, but I do not want to take either of those synths out. I am stuck between really getting a nord a1, and a lead 4.

I hear the lead 4 is more programmable and flexible, but the a1 sounds better. I am looking for a synth that can do analog for live shows, but can offer more like fm and stuff. I thought about getting another dsi like just saving for an ob-6, but I feel like it is too close to a prophet 6, and with the release of model d I could just wait longer and save for that.

That being said I have a few questions for those experienced with these synths.

1. Can software out do nord because it is already digital?

2. If software can out do it is it better to save for an actual analog synth like the ob or min moog?

3. If the nord can offer something different do you guys prefer the a1 or the lead 4?

4. Would a prophet 12 just cover all of these things?

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644018
Thanked 4,895 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: Nord a1 or Lead 4

From a sound perspective you're not going to get much difference in a Nord and a nice piece of software. Different flavors of sound depending on what you go for but quality wise software is up to par and maybe a bit cleaner even. So it comes down to knobs basically. If those are important than fork out the dough, if not, skip it.

I owned a NL2 and it sounded great. Never played a 4. From what I've read though the 3 has the best interface with endless digital encoders that change when you change between any of the four parts. Some say it's the best interface on any synth of them all. Were I looking at Nords I'd look at a NL3 for that reason.

Being as you already have your analog synths sorted with the Prophet and the Sub37 I'd go ahead and scrap any more analogs straight off the list.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
ab (07-24-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
From a sound perspective you're not going to get much difference in a Nord and a nice piece of software. Different flavors of sound depending on what you go for but quality wise software is up to par and maybe a bit cleaner even. So it comes down to knobs basically. If those are important than fork out the dough, if not, skip it.

I owned a NL2 and it sounded great. Never played a 4. From what I've read though the 3 has the best interface with endless digital encoders that change when you change between any of the four parts. Some say it's the best interface on any synth of them all. Were I looking at Nords I'd look at a NL3 for that reason.

Being as you already have your analog synths sorted with the Prophet and the Sub37 I'd go ahead and scrap any more analogs straight off the list.
yeah I thought originally about getting an ob-6, but after messing with it I came to the conclusion is like a prophet with a slight bit of sem sound. It didn't really convince me that I needed it while having a prophet 6. Plus the prophet 6 actually seems more versitile to me personally.

Yeah I guess I could just get a midi controller. I haven ever messed with a model D, but I heard the personality of it was the sound moog is known for. I think however a prophet 12 or an ob-6 might take me to a better place, and a prophet seems to be the more flexible of the two.

------------------
Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526227
Thanked 1,760 Times in 1,143 Posts

Nord lead 2!

Sorry, I have a bias.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21110

Have you thought about a blofeld? Its a great digital synth and pretty affordable too. I liked the user interface on the module I had and multi mode would be good for live. And with the wavetables it has a diverse sound set.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:07 AM   #6
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

I'm wondering if a digital synth is worth it in the vst age? I know analog has a unique character, but isn't that the filters, wires, and other natural things about the instrument? When things are all on chip would I be better off just getting like serum or something? I might end up saving for a mini moog, prophet 12 or a voyager instead.

I will check the blofed synth out!

------------------
Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

I think the character of analog is from the bs built around!

Edit: sorry I am exaggerating a bit but you were asking about nords which are digital (va) and really I am still convinced that in a mix no one can tell the difference! I would like to be proved wrong but won't hold my breath

------------------
Old 07-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #8
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I think the character of analog is from the bs built around!

Edit: sorry I am exaggerating a bit but you were asking about nords which are digital (va) and really I am still convinced that in a mix no one can tell the difference! I would like to be proved wrong but won't hold my breath
I don't think a lot of people can tell. I can when I listen to nine inch nails or com truise that those guys use analog synths vs digital. I mean but here I'm not really going for something because it is one or the other rather which will give me the most unique tones.

The probably is the most work to get something unique from, but the nords seem like they could be interesting with va combines with fm. I'm just wondering if massive or fm8 would sound just as good as a va because it does not have circuits.

------------------
Old 07-24-2016, 02:38 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

If you can do with a module, the Prophet 12 comes as a module and at $1800 is rather more affordable. (vs the full keyboard)

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
Schnork
Ghostly
Schnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond reputeSchnork has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9660

On a Vst, even the very few ones that I have mapped entirely to my BCR2000, I tend to tweak fewer knobs than on an actual synth. So if I could afford a Nord, I would definately go for one!
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
On a Vst, even the very few ones that I have mapped entirely to my BCR2000, I tend to tweak fewer knobs than on an actual synth. So if I could afford a Nord, I would definately go for one!
This, I think interface is more important than sound now days for hardware!

------------------
Old 07-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526227
Thanked 1,760 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I can when I listen to nine inch nails or com truise that those guys use analog synths vs digital.

Perception = reality my friend.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
RFJ (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #13
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
yeah the prophet 12 module seems significantly cheaper I might go with that and like a midi controller for ni or some midi keyboard that uses akai advance software. Maybe I will try this xfer serum.

------------------
Old 07-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #14
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

i'm confused..

why do you not want to take your prophet 6 on the road but you want to buy a prophet 12 and take it on the road?

why don't you just buy a gnarly hard case for the prophet and be done with it? You're not going to get your hands on something that sounds any better.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #15
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
i'm confused..

why do you not want to take your prophet 6 on the road but you want to buy a prophet 12 and take it on the road?

why don't you just buy a gnarly hard case for the prophet and be done with it? You're not going to get your hands on something that sounds any better.
I would have just gotten the module if it is cheaper and gives me something new. I just don't want to take any chances with the prophet 6 cause I cant afford to replace it haha

------------------
Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 AM   #16
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 24810

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I would have just gotten the module if it is cheaper and gives me something new. I just don't want to take any chances with the prophet 6 cause I cant afford to replace it haha
Ah cool. Well, FWIW, my buddy got a prophet 12 and I was prepared to dislike it because I, not a fan of their dco stuff too much, and this one has straight up digital oscillators. But, I was actually surprised because I ended up getting some really cool sounds out of. I'm kind of annoyed that they did digital oscillators and didn't go ahead and do full on wavetables (it's the 21st century after all), which would've made it a hit I think.. Despite that, it's a pretty solid synth.t

Advertisements

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote