Microtuning beginner
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 07-22-2016, 04:46 AM   #1
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13310
Microtuning beginner

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I found out earlier this week about microtuning when I saw in a manual that one of my softsynths supported it. Intrigued, I found out that some other ones did too, then I found the .tun files above and played on a Ptolemaic diatomic scale. I don't know about writing a whole song or album in the stuff (not yet, at least), but I'd certainly like to incorporate some of this into my music. There's a lot of tunings, though, and I don't know where to begin (I chose Ptolemy because it came up pretty quickly when I did a bit more research). Do any of you have recommendations for tunings to try? Maybe better, where can I learn more about them. All the music theory guides I've seen give microtuning a brief mention if they say anything about it at all.

Advertisements

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39278949
Thanked 1,128 Times in 729 Posts
Re: Microtuning beginner

I'm trying to remember the one La Monte Young used where the fifth was a perfect 3:2 ratio of the tonic and so on... (as opposed to the common Western system of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

Skimming through my music theory books...

Ah! [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It basically follows the idea that consonant tones are generally small whole number ratios, but retunes them to be the exact ratios rather than the approximate values they fall into in equal temperament. So, the thirds are 5:4, the fifths are 3:2, and the sevenths are 7:4.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
White Noise (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13310

Thanks man, from looking at what you've linked, I see I'm going to need to get the hang of the math behind this to really make sense of it (hopefully not too difficult, I'm an accounting major, we do ratios sometimes ). I'll look more into just intonation as well, a quick google tells me that's not just one tuning.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39278949
Thanked 1,128 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
a quick google tells me that's not just one tuning.
Yeah, indeed. It's not really much of a single tuning as much as it is a system of tuning.

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote