Arranging and recording in hybrid setups
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts
Arranging and recording in hybrid setups

I've ow jammed around long enough on my hardware to make a decent arrangement, I think.

I'm wondering how you all go about doing this, as there are choices:
1. MIDI trigger pattern change from DAW
2. Use an OTB sequencer
3. Live jam and trigger patterns manually

In the live jam scenario, do you record different patterns as loops that you then use in a sampler ITB?

I'm tempted to do as much OTB as possible, but gain staging and most of the mixing would have to be done on the individual instrument level and the 828.

There is some nifty pattern change and fiddling options on the Octatrack that use scenes and cross faders as well as arpeggiator based pattern transitions that are not MIDI programmable.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts
Re: Arranging and recording in hybrid setups

My short answers is to either record loops into my DAW and create an arrangement, either from scratch or from ideas Ive recorded while jamming or do a multi track recording of like 20 minites of jamming and chop out the best bits.

I also like to just record the whole thing live quite often, then do minimal edits.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

So, do you use an audio track or do you record into a sampler?

------------------

Old 10-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts

No. I dont record directly to a sampler. Typically for me it is eaiser to work with the aduio on the timeline. If I were to need a the notes ina loop sliced up, I would rerecord the notes/chords/drum hits as one shots.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
liquid_air (10-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13160

I'm sequencing all my synths from Ableton Live using Midi and then just record into the timeline. Usually longer parts while tweaking knobs.

For percussive stuff I'd trigger my synths manually, record also into timeline, cut up (or smt Audacity for better transient editing) and then load into Sampler.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
liquid_air (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

There really is no right and wrong here. When I started I sent MIDI to hardware. This has a lot of drawbacks to do with timing/midi latency.

These days I am true "hybrid." I have a three stage process.

1) I do a bunch of digital sound design in the DAW. If I want to make a new kick with 3-4 layers or whatever, I do it in the DAW so I get it exactly how I want it. I don't want to do that kind of detailed digital stuff in H/W.

2) I send the sounds out to an MPC 1000 (ie a sampler). (So yeah I'm gradually building a bigger and bigger home-made MPC sample library). Then I do, say, 75% of the tune using a H/W sequencer, practically all the arranging (I trigger a few synths and other stuff with the MPC).

3) I perform into the DAW, using it like a fancy tape player, just feeding it all the audio. I do mixing and fine editing in the DAW (after pretty much all the arrangement is done).

This sounds complicated but I really like working this way. The main reason is this. I can perform my tunes very organically from stage (2), and still have an "album version." And yeah, this is exactly what Ableton Live is for, but I never got on well with it. I know people really dig it, but 1) I don't like using laptops on stage, and 2) I prefer not to produce in Ableton. The MPC has an immediacy which I've never experienced with a laptop/controller setup.

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Praxisaxis
liquid_air (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, have you tried sending program changes from you daw to the mpc to arrange your sequences that way? I tried doing that with live and triggering them from push but I am not convinced.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I go back and forth between having a 75% solution for an arrangement otb then mute tracks and multitrack everything for fine tuning and mixing ITB. Or I have a couple loops I then record and arrange ITB, kinda depends how things go.
I definitely record everything separate tho to mix properly ITB, it is much more precise than in the hardware.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

@jbv: yeah, I'd prefer ITB mixing as well. Just gives me more tools to work with. The tricky thing is, though, that I'm limited in I/O channels. If I want to side chain my kick, for example, I can think of a few options: sample the kick and add it to a kit ITB; record separate audio track for kick only and process later, sample a few loops for kick only and process ITB. The drum part is actually the most straightforward, due to its repetitive nature. I'm leaning towards sampling loops and do the rest ITB.

The A4 has great Overbridge integration, so here I'm leaning towards a hybrid approach of program change and MIDI tracks for some of the tracks on the A4.

The Octatrack will be more heavily involve real time interactions, as would be the case for FX OTB.

It's all a big step up in complexity.

------------------

Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Praxisaxis
Knob Twiddler
Praxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond reputePraxisaxis has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 5760

[QUOTE=jbvdb493;1405241]@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, have you tried sending program changes from you daw to the mpc to arrange your sequences that way? I tried doing that with live and triggering them from push but I am not convinced. Hey mate. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

------------------
-----------------------------
PRAXIS AXIS
Beatport
Here's a new tune:
Praxisaxis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #10
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Well I guess each sequence is a program so sequence 1= program 1 in midi code sequence 2= program 2
(Not mpc programs ie collections of samples) so if you are on sequence 1 and trigger a program change from you daw to 2 sequence 2 will launch.
I have been trying this from push so I can arrange using clips and some of those clips just contain a program change message. It's been a mitigated success so far but I am trying it out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by jbvdb493; 13-07-2016 at 12:58 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote