Chill VSTs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 16-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 19860
Chill VSTs

before I start please note I am not asking you to make a list of random vsts, I am specifying vts that make a certain sound.

does anyone here know any free vsts that can be used on mac, to make very lo-fi ambient noises?
not pads or strings, those are too upfront, I want something that can really stick out, while being in the background of the track.

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49560
Re: chill vsts

Are you talking about tape flutter, vinyl crackling, and bit crushed sound scapes?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Are you talking about tape flutter, vinyl crackling, and bit crushed sound scapes?
exactly, took the words out of my mouth, I couldn't figure out how to explain it.

------------------

Old 16-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12210

Audiobulb's Sophia and AB Vsti immediately come to my mind, but no Mac version and I think their Ambient v3 is rather a Granular Sampler than actual sound generator. If it inherited some of the genes from Sophia and AB Vsti - It might work though... Dunno, I'm sure some guy(s) on here are working with that plugin
Schnork is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6960

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
exactly, took the words out of my mouth, I couldn't figure out how to explain it.
Looks like you could probably get all of those things (or close to it) from your DAW(s).

------------------
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 112910
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,315 Posts

look into FFT based (spectral) plugins such as filters, gates, shifters and stuff that includes granular synthesis. If you own ableton, get some max for live user-made devices from online library, they're usually free and can be found here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
666 (16-06-2016)
Old 16-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Benwaa

load sample> hit record > fiddle with parameters heavily > throw random effects on > twist knobs and push buttons lot and lots > generally fuck shit up big time > rinse/repeat/reuse the sample you recorded etc > chop up recording for the best bits you smiled at or went "whoa what a fucking sound!!!" and so on and so forth. in other words, use your head and the things you already have to learn to make shit out of anything

nothing else needed
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Numerical (16-06-2016)
Old 16-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49560

Some good pointers in here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I am a big fan of Decimort for all things lo-fi. For FX, you can probably do some good work with FF Volcano/Saturn. Using multiple random LFOs modulating each other you can probably get to some random crackles. Same idea perhaps for pink noise (volume and pitch modulated) to get some tape hiss.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #9
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

I want to have real lofi sounds like these

------------------

Old 16-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
Benwaa

for that, the main perc focus is on hats only, so play with simple delays and/or no standard patterns, plus accurate mixing is all that is on the them, and use very accurately and finely designed layered/panned/verbed perc hits. mainly real perc hits too, either on real drums or recorded other stuff that's organic. like knocking your tea cup with a pen. then fine tune the fuck out of the samples. this isn't that hard to achieve tbh
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279434
Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwaa View Post
use your head and the things you already have to learn to make shit out of anything

nothing else needed
yes yes yes

stop flying in vsts to bring new ideas and sounds for you... You will never be satisfied. Think about stuff, be interesting, play with stuff, dont be afraid. Delete half of your vsts now!!!!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Benwaa

here's another really simple way to get organic clicky sounding perc too. get any sample, literally any sample at all. drop it into a midi track in a sampler plugin. then set the sample start anywhere where there's some audio, now shorten that decay right down until there's hardly any at all, shorten the sustain and the release too. all the way down until you're playing just literally a click from the sample. there's your organic click. you can use this then with effects on (if needed) to smooth it out or get a groove going with it etc etc or use it in different notes in a piano roll so you get something a bit more melodically inclined too.

To get the more granular/vinyl type sound, add a delay that's random - maybe use automation instead of just hitting in soe setting and leaving it - wang it through a short ish reverb to give it more of a tail that's natural. then, reversing that audio sample you just recorded, replay the recorded audio backwards through the reverb (maybe a longer one this time) and then re-reverse this last recording (so it's playing the right way around this time)

I've quickly just spent 10 mins doing just that (without the fine tuning and eq-ing etc) to show the method to your ears in stages. i've included a wav of each stage including the original source loop too. I literally drooped it in the sampler, set the start point blindly and then reduced sustain to 0, release to approx 1ms and decay to around 25ms to get the click sound that plays a 4/4 beat. i then pitched it up 3 octaves and did what i said above, plus layered them all together. you can hear clearly enough with the use of accurate EQing which sounds you could pull from there and make into any of the ones you're after. needed no vst beyond my DAW's native plugins too btw

here's the link to the examples: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Benwaa; 16-06-2016 at 09:09 PM..
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Rakka Nova (17-06-2016)
Old 16-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410
Re: Chill VSTs

imperfection vst, and also there are ton of freeware vinyl noise\high cut simulators

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster
MC Status: 1510

Whatever source really.

Just put it through bunch of effects. LFO to pitch and filter. EQ. reverb. mix in noises and clicks. Bit crusher and dists/similar

The best way to get this is by processing shit.
Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #16
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

I was kinda looking for synths, I know how to make it sound lofi, I'm asking for synths that boost the quality of that lofi feel

------------------

Old 17-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530777
Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,194 Posts

use the synths you have and do some creative saturation and bandpass or notch filtering. you've got ableton it appears, check their vinyl effect, their saturator etc.

do a whole lot of really subtle things in series.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
use the synths you have and do some creative saturation and bandpass or notch filtering. you've got ableton it appears, check their vinyl effect, their saturator etc.

do a whole lot of really subtle things in series.
anyone know how to use saturation efficiently?

------------------

Old 17-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #19
Benwaa

Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Numerical (17-06-2016)
Old 17-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #20
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 170210
Thanked 3,404 Times in 2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
All joking aside, I used to have this one..lost it a while back. It was pretty good for a free one..Ian's (Krakli) made some really good free synths over the years..given a lot to the online music community. Cool guy.

I only wish I could get my hands on this one again, but it seems to have vanished from the net completely.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (17-06-2016)