Keyboard Samplers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth
MC Status: 360
Keyboard Samplers

It's hard enough finding a decent sampler pad (as opposed to the long lines of pad controllers that are being released) or really a true to heart basic sampler nowadays
In fact the only ones that immediately come to mind are the akai mpx duology, alesis sampler pad, and the roland sp404
(not counting sampler workstations or sequencers such as the mpc, electribe, and octarack, things you wouldn't want to carry on a bus)

For the past, I say 5 months or so now, I've really been bent on trying to find a simple old key sampler, such as the Casio Sk1 or so. The most recent example I can think of is the discontinued Korg MicroSample 1, which would be ideal for my case.

Any direction as to iffin'where something like this may be released, where to get an ms1 or sk1, or even how I'd go about, say, hooking up something such as the korg nano keys to something that holds samples
Also, if any of you have ever owned a sampling keyboard, I'd like to hear your experiences with it

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

Arexus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Re: Keyboard Samplers

Might not be what you are looking for but an ipad could work with a combo of samplr, impc pro and borderlands granular, lots of sampling options there!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

Find yourself an used Emu E-Synth. Should be super cheap these days.

Way under rated, its got all of the Emu Z-Plane filters and a really comprehensive modulation matrix.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (06-06-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
Find yourself an used Emu E-Synth. Should be super cheap these days.

Way under rated, its got all of the Emu Z-Plane filters and a really comprehensive modulation matrix.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Couldn't find any on e-Bay, though
Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282334
Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,748 Posts

id definitely take the new electribe on a bus, I wouldn't get it out though cause the disco lights would embarras me. Ive actually made an entire beat on an sp404 on a bus!

get the new electribe man especially if portability is your thing. You seem to not care about functionality... How much use would you really get from an sk1??

look at an sp555 they're pretty great

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280999
Thanked 1,169 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
How much use would you really get from an sk1??
The Casio SK-1 is a bit of a staple in a lot of underground and indie music.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #7
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13160

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
The Casio SK-1 is a bit of a staple in a lot of underground and indie music.
Probaply due to its huge amount of sample storage time.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

yeah my comment was about functionality

------------------
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
yeah my comment was about functionality
Limitation breeds creativity... as the saying goes.

------------------
Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Wouldn't it be worthwhile mentioning the TE OP-1?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Limitation breeds creativity... as the saying goes.
yeah definitely... I looked at buying one for a while not too long ago to go with my non pitch in SP's. I was just asking him how much use he was gonna get out of it. No sweat

------------------
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

Quote:
yeah definitely... I looked at buying one for a while not too long ago to go with my non pitch in SP's. I was just asking him how much use he was gonna get out of it. No sweat
Yeah. A little while ago I saw a Casio SK-5 at the local thrift store and was on the fence about getting it. Then, when I convinced myself to the next day, it was already gone. Kicked myself in the ass for it.

------------------
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Yeah. A little while ago I saw a Casio SK-5 at the local thrift store and was on the fence about getting it. Then, when I convinced myself to the next day, it was already gone. Kicked myself in the ass for it.
my friend randomly bought an sk1 on the market, didn't even really know what it was. The metal conductor bits in the battery compartment had melted out after some batteries had leaked... He was ready to give it me for nothing :/ I loved the thought of recording in records at a faster speed and pitching them down to get more time out of it... That kind of shit gets me going cause I'm really sad

I dont know anything about the sk5! X

------------------
Old 12-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

Casios. I have 2, a circuitbent SK1 and a non bent SK1.

I'm not getting a whole lot out of them in terms of my productions but they are really fun to fuck around with.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
FunkMasterBrown (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

have you tried recording in records at a higher speed and then going down the keyboard to get extra record time? how does the sound degrade? how many octaves does the keyboard have actually?

------------------
Old 31-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Def. getting an sk-1 as soon as I can :]
I've had my eye on the electribe for a while but money's tight
I'm really hoping they come up with something to succeed this kind of gear - I swear the world's parched on sample keys. :/
thx
Old 31-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #17
AEJOTZ
Regular Freak
AEJOTZ is a jewel in the roughAEJOTZ is a jewel in the roughAEJOTZ is a jewel in the roughAEJOTZ is a jewel in the rough
Northwest Indiana
MC Status: 310

I have a Korg Microsampler MS1 and I use the hell out of it, but not much as a sampler. I mostly use its onboard quantizing pattern sequencer, via MIDI, to record and play back parts on my other boards. But sometimes I use synth sounds or electronic drum sounds that are stored in the MS. I bough a huge collection of Mellotron samples a few months ago but haven't used any of them yet.

I love my MS1. If I ever break it I will certainly get another one.

I had an SK-1 in 2011 and it was fun to play with for awhile but was super limited and soon sat collecting dust. I eventually got rid of it.

If I ever want low-res samples like on the SK-1, I can just step down the sample rate on the MS1.

Last edited by AEJOTZ; 31-07-2016 at 10:19 PM..
AEJOTZ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:41 AM   #18
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13160

Dude I just love the military looks of the Microsampler! Always wanted to get one.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #19
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Well if you can afford it you can find a reasonably priced K2500RS unit for a few hundred bucks.

Advertisements

BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote