getting more rhythmic emotional chords
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 30-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #1
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20210
getting more rhythmic emotional chords

I want to have longer, more effective, more rhythmic chords in my song, more things that make the song sound hip hop, without just including an annoying loud ass bass sound and a more soft chill sound. I really don't know how to do this, I am not really able to just sit down and start playing good sounding things, also most of my stuff lately is programmed in ableton, so I don't have to keep in tempo, everything is quantized already. I like chords like the ones like this guy

I live for things like these for example

listen to whichever ones you want to, but I want to do chords like these.

also I did something like this before in this side of the forum before but the way I worded it made it sound really stupid and it kinda showed people what kind of stupid ass shit I do.
because I hate me and I only really want to show people how much of a piece of shit I am.
(but I try not to show my douchey side)

Last edited by mute machine; 30-05-2016 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: I'm a fuck up

Advertisements

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #2
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really niceaktiveight is just really nice
Philadephia
MC Status: 360
Re: getting more rhythmic emotional chords

mostly those chords are in minor so they are guaranteed to be sad. but i think for that you should try out some diminished or augmented chord progressions that are in a really slow bpm and fiddle around with the other notes that are in the same key or whatever you think sounds good.

hope that helps you out

cheers,

aktiveight
aktiveight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,429 Times in 1,895 Posts

d minor is the saddest of the keys

try harmonically progressing by relation of thirds. beethovens largest moments were based on movement by thirds i.e. augmented chords
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 6960

The guy in the video you posted pretty much breaks it down. He plays awesome bass chords alongside his beats, sketches out some melodies with his vocal abilities (or lack thereof), and changes his perspective frequently.

I would have recommended the same ideas without even skimming the video; play an instrument, learn theory, and figure out how to make the sounds that you want to make. Getting in tune with your music is a process, but stretching outside of your comfort zone is guaranteed to give you deeper insight.
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 666
SKYCORE (31-10-2016)
Old 30-05-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

min, with 7th and 9th are those classic chill-jazzy vibes

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

You should try not self loathing so much

I really do not get the difference between what you post there and the music you have on your soundcloud.

More additional notes playing maybe? Like Chord followed by some notes, do di da da duuu. Just pick notes from chord to start with and then play around those. If you have a midi keyboard it really helps, loop the section where a chord plays, fill in with some notes until it sounds good, edit by hand after.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
Valk (04-10-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80991880
Thanked 4,033 Times in 2,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I skipped through the tracks and they all seem pretty different to me in terms of arrangement so I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "chords"? And what you mean by "more rhythmic"?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #8
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banewaker View Post
d minor is the saddest of the keys

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
everyone on this website knows some picture to relates to a comment in every situation.

------------------

Thanks to mute machine
Valk (04-10-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #10
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
I skipped through the tracks and they all seem pretty different to me in terms of arrangement so I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "chords"? And what you mean by "more rhythmic"?
I mean like having a more often change in the notes.

------------------

Old 04-10-2016, 02:53 AM   #11
Jimjimmy
Minor Glitch
Jimjimmy will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Awesome stuff man
Jimjimmy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

I'm not sure what you mean, if you want to use more complex chords, Jazz is a good way to go, get yourself a real book with jazz standards, find a few buddies and spend the next year jamming with them.

now listening to your music, I think on some tracks you do have a mixing issue, which can kill the expressivity.

If you quantize everything, this could kill it too

Maybe get yourself some hardware and try a more organic approach to things, use your hands rather than automation and quantization, actuall "do" the music, craft it more.

Your SC has some cool stuff, it's not nearly as bad as your message makes it.

Confidence is also key, believe in yourself, appreciate your own music, and believe you can be the best musician in the world, with the appropriate amount of work and dedication. Because you actually can.
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
WillDarling
Minor Glitch
WillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really nice
The Isle of Wight, England
MC Status: 410

In terms of creating the chords, I wrote a blog post this week explaining how. A good starting point, and you could develop from there (If you go to edmtips.com it's the latest post).

It doesn't cover the rhythm part, though, but the key to that is syncopation. It keeps the groove rolling along.
WillDarling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #14
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8748

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
I want to have longer, more effective, more rhythmic chords in my song, more things that make the song sound hip hop, without just including an annoying loud ass bass sound and a more soft chill sound. I really don't know how to do this, I am not really able to just sit down and start playing good sounding things, also most of my stuff lately is programmed in ableton, so I don't have to keep in tempo, everything is quantized already. I like chords like the ones like this guy

I live for things like these for example

also I did something like this before in this side of the forum before but the way I worded it made it sound really stupid and it kinda showed people what kind of stupid ass shit I do.
because I hate me and I only really want to show people how much of a piece of shit I am.
(but I try not to show my douchey side)
Before I read "hip -hop" I thought I'd say emotion is supposed to come from you. But in this case, sounds like what we're talking about is a lack of hooks.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote