Sending track to vocalist - getting your music stolen?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 810
Sending track to vocalist - getting your music stolen?

Hey people,

I've made a few tracks that in my opinion have some good potential of getting signed by a major label. Personally I think the tracks sound very different from what is out there today, and I can't help to feel a bit paranoid about it getting stolen, and if not stolen, just sent around to people who I don't want to give access to my track before it's actually released.

So the tracks don't have vocals yet, and since I don't know any vocalists IRL, I was thinking about emailing vocalists that I would like to sing on the tracks. But I wouldn't know if he/she sends the track to other people, or even worse steals it. The same thing goes with promotion blogs.

Am I being overly paranoid here? In my country there is an automatic protection for the music as soon as it's created, no need to apply for anything.

One thing I've been thinking of that reduces this risk is sending it to the label first, then tell them that I am still trying to find vocals for it. However, what concerns me with this is that I've read that labels want you to pretty much have everything ready when you send your music to them, everything from a proper mix to your image branding. The more you are ready, the better the chances. So I guess sending a track without vocals to them would get your track ignored even if it was a dope ass track, isn't that true? Is it a big minus if you tell them this?

I was even hoping that a label can help you to find a vocalist for your track if they like it enough, but that seems a little too good to be true, no?

Advertisements

samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 153760
Thanked 3,075 Times in 2,288 Posts
Re: Sending track to vocalist - getting your music stolen?

Dude, if you think you are going to make serious money from your work, then never mind what inherent rights you think apply..register you shit and cover your ass legally!

If you do a search online, you'll find a ton of different stories where people thought their stuff was copyrighted, only to find they didn't have a leg to stand on in court..you really can never be too paranoid when it comes to your work and protecting your interests in the same.

You need to look into copyright in your own country..as well as protecting it worldwide. In most cases, having it registered in the US will cover you globally..well, in those places that respect laws in general.

If memory serves me right it's best if you hang on until you have a full album's worth of work to register, as I think the fees are the same for one track or a number of tracks..though that might of changed or I might have misunderstood. - http://www.copyright.gov/

------------------
A.M is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
samk44 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504280
Thanked 6,267 Times in 4,498 Posts

If you are that certain they are that good, as AM says, don't fuck around, get 'em copy righted or whatever. I've been told many more than few times that if you mail something to yourself in a well sealed envelope the dated stamp from the post office could help prove you own the material, though I'm not sure how well that might actually hold up in court.

AM is also correct that it is cheaper to copy right more things at once. I know for manuscripts you can copyright a lot, maybe an infinite number, of pages under a single title.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Dude, if you think you are going to make serious money from your work, then never mind what inherent rights you think apply..register you shit and cover your ass legally!

If you do a search online, you'll find a ton of different stories where people thought their stuff was copyrighted, only to find they didn't have a leg to stand on in court..you really can never be too paranoid when it comes to your work and protecting your interests in the same.

You need to look into copyright in your own country..as well as protecting it worldwide. In most cases, having it registered in the US will cover you globally..well, in those places that respect laws in general.

If memory serves me right it's best if you hang on until you have a full album's worth of work to register, as I think the fees are the same for one track or a number of tracks..though that might of changed or I might have misunderstood. - http://www.copyright.gov/
Thanks for the advice man. So you are saying that I shouldn't send it to the label without vocals (as a way of working around the problem)? That I should get the copyright, send it to a vocalist, then send it to a label?

I mean, the tracks sound good by themselves but they sure would be complimented by some nice vocals.
samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
Thanks for the advice man. So you are saying that I shouldn't send it to the label without vocals (as a way of working around the problem)? That I should get the copyright, send it to a vocalist, then send it to a label?

I mean, the tracks sound good by themselves but they sure would be complimented by some nice vocals.
What I'm saying is if YOU think your stuff is that good you shouldn't be sending it to ANYONE before you have it registered..but it's your call. Basically do whatever you want or feel like doing..I'm not telling you to do anything..you have to make that call yourself.

The other thing you haven't even mentioned or touched on is getting your music published, which is different from getting it released by a label. You need to look into publishing it yourself, so you get to hold on to as many associated rights as possible, which would mean more royalty payments later down the line, if your work becomes successful. Basically, just google "publishing music" and start reading up on all of this stuff. Here's an easy article to get you started - http://www.ehow.com/how_7811632_form...g-company.html

------------------
Thanks to A.M
samk44 (05-05-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Emmanuel G.
Analog Lurker
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

In my opinion, your best bet to make your music "thiefproof" is to make original and personal music. Music that only you are able to make.

Worst case scenario, someone steals it, finds a deal with a label, and what they're gonna do with an mp3? publish it?

they'll want to have a proper mix done. So even if someone steals it, they're not going to release the new "Chronicles 2001" from an mp3 mixed in someone's bedroom.

If your music is original and personal, maybe they can "steal" a track, but what if they want a whole album?

if you have your own sound, your own style, it's the best protection.
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
rewir3d
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3062919

^

Anyways like already said, register it first and get it copyrighted then send to a vocalist, he can then copyright his part for himself as well. Send to label, make millions, snort coke off of hookers, end up in foreign country, black out, moneys all gone, write another hit and repeat!
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to rewir3d
A.M (11-21-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
kennytynan
Minor Glitch
kennytynan will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

just post it to yourself and dont open it. It has a date stamped on it from a government body so in my opinion would justify proof of ownership.
kennytynan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

How about have the vocalist sign a non-disclosure agreement?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933581
Thanked 5,508 Times in 3,483 Posts

IN BLOOD
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #11
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 85150
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,128 Posts

Send them a 64kbit mp3 to sing to?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
D42K732202 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
even if its punk rock ?

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
even if its punk rock ?
What do you think?

Advertisements

------------------