Guitars and things with strings.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536777
Thanked 1,971 Times in 1,258 Posts
Guitars and things with strings.

Thought I would go ahead and start a thread for the guitar players of IDMf.

I figured it could start out with a what instrument you play and branch out from there.

Me? I play both guitar and bass, my main instrument is a Fender strat that I've been modding for a number of years, and a Fender Jaguar custom baritone guitar.

I have/play bass as well, I've got a middle of the road Ibanez bass GR500.

I track through a line 6 pod pro splitting the processing duties between the POD (mostly for clean tones) and Guitar Rig (for everything else tones) and when i need to get loud I have a 70's Fender Bassman head and 2x12 cab that doubles as my bass and guitar amp.

How many "serious" guitarists are there on IDMf?

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (20-04-2016)
Old 19-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts
Re: Guitars and things with strings.

I have two guitars. An LP and an acoustic, both by Epiphone. I'd really like to get an amp again, but since losing mine I've never had the money to get another. So, I've just recorded direct for my parts.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

do you have an Amp Sim of choice?

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26660

I have a black epiphone lp with new Gibson internal organs
I use it through guitar rig 5 so far as I am in a similar boat as candlesayshi, having gotten my place broken into several years ago I had most of my gear stollen, so no amp still. After a long hyatus I decided to get back into the music thing.
So far tho I don't feel confortable enough to make my own music using the guitar, just playing songs and scales and trying to learn more.
I would like to get an amp soon depending on spending priorities, and maybe a strat at some point, I play a lot in DGCFAd lately so I might like a second guitar in standard E tuning.
Voila, although I wouldn't call myself a "serious" anything really!
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
do you have an Amp Sim of choice?
I just use the one that comes with SONAR: Overloud TH2. It's pretty good. I just use the amp/cab models themselves though. I try to avoid using the effects in it, because I feel like I use them as a crutch sometimes.

Last edited by candlesayshi; 20-04-2016 at 12:19 AM..

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I just use the one that comes with SONAR: Overloud TH2. It's pretty good.
ive heard good things. keep reading reviews of this Positive Grid - Bias thing. Interesting. The pro version allows you to load amp profiles (Impulse Responses) to simulate setups sort of like a SW version of the Kemper profiling amp.

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Voila, although I wouldn't call myself a "serious" anything really!

100% relative.

I keep my Schecter in Drop D, only a step lower so its CGCFAD. Its my go to for "heavy music" dual humbuckers and holds in tune w the lower tuning really well.

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
100% relative.

I keep my Schecter in Drop D, only a step lower so its CGCFAD. Its my go to for "heavy music" dual humbuckers and holds in tune w the lower tuning really well.
What string gauge do you use for that tuning?
Old 20-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

from hi to low:

There are also some Diadarrio (i think) strings that Zack Wylde endorses that are gauges set up for playing that low.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Numerical (07-06-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

I like the general guideline that you go up a gauge for each step you tune down.

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Coolio, I am pretty sure I am using 11 to 52, not sure if I should go heavier but I do go back and forth to e once in a while
Old 20-04-2016, 01:47 AM   #12
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

I just recently obtained a beautiful Gibson G400 Signature series. I have a few tracks that I have incorporated it into. I decided to make this purchase because it never hurts to express that unique riff into a piece of music that makes it intimate.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
chasedobson (20-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #13
NChil10
Granular Poster
NChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to allNChil10 is a name known to all
Sheffield
MC Status: 610

I've got a Gibson LP Traditional with Bareknuckle PG Blues pickups, Fender Classic 50 strat, Epiphone Sheraton II (hollowbody) and a Martin D15 acoustic. I prefer to mic up my Blackstar HT40 to record the electric, although it has a decent emulated out if I want to be quick. Got a cheap acoustic tuned to D for slide too.

I also bought a Squier Mod Jazz Bass and I DI that through my Neve 511 and then into Overloud on the PC. It sounds pretty good to my ears.

Still wouldn't consider myself a serious guitar player though.
NChil10 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NChil10
chasedobson (20-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #14
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

never really cared to own very expensive/classy guitars. I used to play with the same ibanez RG series guitar from when I was 16 and wanted to play dive harmonics. Then a friend of mine gave me a Dan Electro b&w guitar which is the one I'm using now and I pretty much love it. I'm considering buying a baritone as well, but I have no money for it. I have a limited set of pedals: compression, distortion, volume, and an electro-harmonix "freeze" I got recently, which is a bit gimmicky but still a lot of fun. All other three are Boss pedals.

I also have a classical guitar that I play the most often.

I sold my amp two months ago because I didn't have enough money to pay the rent and buy food. I'm considering buying a new one in the summer.

Also my pedals are shit. Last time I used my volume pedal (boss fv-50), it crackled when I used it which is the last thing I want a volume pedal to do. And my distortion pedal makes a beep when I turn it on. I hope I'll be able to fix it with a quick work on the electronics.

Have you guys ever tried/thought about building your own effects?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
chasedobson (21-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #15
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

I just wanted to say that BY FAR, the best value in guitars is vintage Ibanez guitars that are made in Japan (circa 1975 - 1986). Easily the best guitars you can get for under a grand. Real talk.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

i've been playing guitar on and off for about 22 years now. played mostly bass in thrash/death metal bands all through my late teens/early 20s.

right now i have a Gibson Explorer, a very pretty blue PRS SE Custom (one of the cheap ones, but with the birds <3), a really beat up 7-string Ibby (RG 7321), Peavy Grind 5-string bass, and a really cheap acoustic i picked up in Ukraine. i buy most my gear second hand through Craigslist and I just patiently wait for a good deal and then low-ball like a mofo. sometimes it really works (thanks, crackheads).

sold all my amps many years ago and just been using sims (right now, mostly Amplitube 4 + IRs for cabs).
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
chasedobson (21-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
And my distortion pedal makes a beep when I turn it on. I hope I'll be able to fix it with a quick work on the electronics.
I just found this tutorial to mod the DS-1 into a fuller-sounding dist pedal; I guess I'll try that, it's not like I care about this pedal much anyway

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
lolirl (20-04-2016)
Old 20-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #18
candlesayshi
Imperfect
Chicago

Quote:
And my distortion pedal makes a beep when I turn it on. I hope I'll be able to fix it with a quick work on the electronics.
I have a DOD Supra Distortion with crackling pots. Have tried to fix it numerous times, but there's also a part of me that really likes the crackle sound.

Quote:
Have you guys ever tried/thought about building your own effects?
I have a distortion pedal that I built myself. Just distortion with no tone control. I usually put it after my Big Muff. I also have a ring modulator circuit that I have to buy some parts for before I put it in an enclosure, and on my breadboard I have an analog delay that I've been working on trying to figure out for a long time. When I finish that I have plans to build an overdrive/LPF.

------------------
Old 20-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5710

My first instrument was bass but I don't get around to playing like I used to. I do prefer to play bass on recordings rather than go the synth route, but its usually quicker to just program it in. I have an Ibanez Soundgear with active pickups.

Guitar...I'm not too good at. I can play-ish but I don't have the finger work to keep up. If I do play its usually some variation of g, e minor, c, d minor, and power chords, any other chords I can't make quick enough to keep up with the song. F's and B's....I suck at. I'm pretty sure I don't have the correct hand posture with my left. I do like to mess around with guitar though. I have a Yamaha ez-ag midi guitar and an Ibanez Gio. Theres a few other guitars laying around here that belong to my wife. A Yamaha acoustic, a squire anniversary edition strat, and for some reason a Paul Stanley silvertone apocalypse.

Also have a Danelectro grilled cheese pedal, a boss 506 multi-effects pedal, a gorilla bass amp, peavey guitar amp, and one of those shitty tiny portable Danelectro amps.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #20
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744032091
Thanked 7,293 Times in 4,529 Posts

I have a 70's Mustang and a Jagstang. (guess my influences )
At the moment I'm getting back into playing at home and trying to learn all the stuff I thought wasn't really necessary when I wanted to play black flag and sonic youth stuff.
This comes and goes and I try not to force it.
Having the guitar out of it's bag and staring at me when I come in really helps.

I'm running them through a 70's 100 watt H/H I picked up from a guy who was trading in some kit when I worked at the store.
It's an absolute beast and I love it.
I like to run way less crunch these days and I've found that if I get a decent clean sound on the amp then I can use the metal-zone pedal with the distortion backed right off (literally 8 o clock or imaginary 1 position). I like to boost the bass all the way up, a tiny bit of extra highs, a good bit of low-mids and slightly more high-mids than the high setting.

So yeah, learning some blues stuff and trying to nail down some scales.
Having not played for a while my technique is a bit wack, my fingering hand needs reminding of what it used to do, but with added time and experience my ear is much better and my bends and vibrato are pretty good.

Last month some cash was burning a hole in my pocket and I was tempted by one of the new Squire series Jazzmasters and Jaguars...
I didn't do it and it was really the sensible decision.

SO my dad is a player too (he's a jazzer) and just yesterday he leant me his Boss-ME20 as he "doesn't think he'll be playing anything commercial or poppy again for a while, if ever" (his words, gotta love that guy).
I haven't tried it yet. I don't have huge hopes and it's probably overkill for what I'm doing but a nice bit of chorus or reverb might be nice for inspiration, dunno.

Also, I recently got into watching videos by Rob Chapman and I'm quite enjoying them.
He's a pretty decent player, has his own band, endorsements and eventually guitar company.
Sure, he does a lot of stuff in conjunction with Andertons Music Store, but I like gear reviews and a bit of noodling and I thought his D'Addario factory tour was pretty interesting.
He's got a pretty good ear for kit most of the time and doesn't try to bullshit when he gets stuff wrong in blindfold testing conditions.
Checkout this Slash rig rundown video for example. (I'm assuming it was Movember)

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote