Akai Timbre wolf thoughts?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 19-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
LawrenceL342
Radial Developer
LawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to beholdLawrenceL342 is a splendid one to behold
Glasgow
MC Status: 910
Akai Timbre wolf thoughts?

hey guys, im looking to buy my first hardware synth and this one seems to be a decent price, but is it worth it? should i pick up a microbrute instead?

Advertisements

------------------
LawrenceL342 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533430
Thanked 6,850 Times in 4,877 Posts
Re: Akai Timbre wolf thoughts?

I would say neither of those if you have a choice, check out a Bass Station II IMO. Or a Korg Minilogue. But of the two MicroBrute all day long.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jVs (05-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

Akai Timbre Barf

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 01:13 AM   #4
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I would say neither of those if you have a choice, check out a Bass Station II IMO. Or a Korg Minilogue. But of the two MicroBrute all day long.

Lol they're both double the price and a bit more though so unfair comparison in my opinion. I'd personally scour eBay for a second hand bit of kit. More bang for your buck easily on second hand gear, and most hardware owners tend to always look after their gear, so rip off potential is small
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
astru
Minor Glitch
astru will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Depends what kind of sounds you want to make?
But I would not recommend to buy a new one too if its your first one (sorry suppliers). Cause after first one you will want another one and then another.. Buy second hand, there are lots of good options like mininova, microbrute, Rhythm Wolf, microkorg, Volca beats. Try them all and you will find yours
astru is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 02:31 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

I have a bass station 2 and I can def say it's good and worth it if you find a good deal on one, cool synth

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310

I think it all depends on what direction you want to go. I have a Rhythm Wolf, which has the same synth voice at the Timbre Wolf and it's....so so.

The Timbre Wolf having 4 voices is nice, but at the end of the day it's still just a mono synth with limited flexibility.

If you get a mono synth, get the Arturia MicroBrute. The modulation capabilities are much more, but not prohibitively complicated for a beginner. Plus, if you want to get a modular system, it's easy to patch in and out. My brother has one that he runs through a few effects pedals and you can get quite a bit out of it.

If you want to get a polysynth, I'd say go for the Korg Minilogue. Everything is laid out in a very intuitive way and its modulation capabilities are even enough for a more advanced person. I have a Novation MiniNova, which is honestly more synth than I can handle. Plus, you're stuck looking at a tiny screen for most of the modulation and effects processing unless you use the DAW VST for editing.

Bottom line: I'd say get a MiniLogue. The Timbre Wolf will leave you wanting more very quickly.
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
halford88
Minor Glitch
halford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the roughhalford88 is a jewel in the rough
Milwaukee
MC Status: 310

If you're not opposed to digital, a novation K station is a good option too. An Alesis Micron also offers a ton of editing capabilities, but without an editor hook up to your computer it can be a little tedious.
halford88 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to halford88
aikighost (21-04-2016)
Old 21-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by halford88 View Post
If you're not opposed to digital, a novation K station is a good option too. An Alesis Micron also offers a ton of editing capabilities, but without an editor hook up to your computer it can be a little tedious.
Yes the KS4 or KS rack is incredible value these days.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 02:18 AM   #10
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47410

Guitar Center in Colorado Springs has this thing for $200, but even at that price it doesn't seem that interesting. I messed around with it a bit today and did not get the feels.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

The new Korg Monologue looks like a great cheap first synth imo.

The Dark Energy is ace too.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Grain Bastard
jVs (05-03-2017)
Old 24-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

watched review videos (yeah i don't know why but i did it) its another handicapped retro replica synth

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #13
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

Hmmmm, this is disapointing to read, I was hoping to use it as a groove box in my live setup
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts

But as to firts synths the Akai Miniak has the same synth engine as the alesis Ion and the sequencer from the micron, is pretty inexpensive (I payed £134 for mine) and you can get software editors to get round the limits of the lack of controls - though it's actually fairly easy to program using all the built in short cuts.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
I had the opportunity to noodle around on the microbrute a few days back, personally I was really impressed with it. I was very inspired and could absoloutely fit that beast into my lifestyle. I highly recomend it as a great intro synth, especially starting out with analog sound design. Its equally great for a modular noob like myself. Its kinda off topic but worth mentioning that we live in a great era for the possibility of obtaining sweet sweet gear, and not have to be paid on salary. I am certain its cheaper to build a studio than it is to build a Warhammer 40k chaos marine unit.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
relic (05-03-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #16
JasonTheKid
Learning The Ropes
JasonTheKid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

What about the Arturia DrumBrute? I just read the futuremusic arturia drumbrute review and they seem to like it.

futuremusic.com/2017/04/06/arturia-drumbrute-review/
JasonTheKid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTheKid View Post
What about the Arturia DrumBrute? I just read the futuremusic arturia drumbrute review and they seem to like it.

futuremusic.com/2017/04/06/arturia-drumbrute-review/
As a DrumBrute owner I have somewhat mixed feelings--in a lot of ways it offers some awesome features for a prosumer price. However, I feel like the sound pallete is pretty narrow unless you already have a lot of good saturation/distortion options (softwre, hardware whatevs). Most of the voices, in my experience having a DB since the beginning of the year) is that most of the voices have either limited sweet spots or not much texture variation. Like the hats, w/o processing, are always gonna be harsh or at their tamest dirty as fvck.

------------------
Thanks to relic
jVs (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #18
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
As a DrumBrute owner I have somewhat mixed feelings--in a lot of ways it offers some awesome features for a prosumer price. However, I feel like the sound pallete is pretty narrow unless you already have a lot of good saturation/distortion options (softwre, hardware whatevs). Most of the voices, in my experience having a DB since the beginning of the year) is that most of the voices have either limited sweet spots or not much texture variation. Like the hats, w/o processing, are always gonna be harsh or at their tamest dirty as fvck.
I've been considering a purchase of the drumbrute myself and tbh of all the reviews I have read on different websites, This one is the most thorough reviews I have read. What appeals to me is the realtime knob control of individual snares, hats, ect. To me that is a great quality to the machine and appeals to me because I am weird like that. It does make sense that it would ideally come out into its own through FX and modular processing (Arturia seems to be geared toward that very function in every way.) Though that 499.00 price tag does put me in the position to really think on if this is what I really want.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
Thanks to jVs
relic (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:22 AM   #19
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
I've been considering a purchase of the drumbrute myself and tbh of all the reviews I have read on different websites, This one is the most thorough reviews I have read. What appeals to me is the realtime knob control of individual snares, hats, ect. To me that is a great quality to the machine and appeals to me because I am weird like that. It does make sense that it would ideally come out into its own through FX and modular processing (Arturia seems to be geared toward that very function in every way.) Though that 499.00 price tag does put me in the position to really think on if this is what I really want.
Happy to talk to you more about the DrumBrute. I think its a fair price. A couple things to consider--one big thing for me in accepting the DB into my workflow was giving up on the idea that it has 2 kick voices. I'm madly in love with Kick 2 (the 808 style kick) as an actualy kick drum. Quite often I will use either Kick 1, the Zap or any of the other voices as a top kick/click. I will also use the Kick 1 voice to beef up the snare.

The hats, cymbal and snare all take well to a little live tweaking over 16 bars or whatevs. I feel like the hats are going to be love 'em or hate 'em for most people. Personally, I'm aboslutely in love with how dirty, gritty or totally fubar the hats can sound : ) Its a real pleasure to get them slamming and then taming them with further processing.

While I do think most of the voices have limited sweet spots/range, all of them take so, so, SO well to external processing...I can stack an instance of U-he Satin, D16 Devistator and more on each voice and start getting a nice gritty, even gooey drum bus going.

I can see how it isn't for everyone and ideally it won't be my only drummachine. In the same price range if you can own only one, I might go with an Electribe Sampler 2. Between the on board synthesis options and the fact that it handles oneshots nicely its really the best of all worlds. The onboard synthesis and resampling is enough to make it a serious contender as a drum synth.

The TR-8 is a possability, its fun as hell and has some cool options, but ultimately it sequencing options are as limited as the DrumBrute's voices are. At the end of the day I'd rather pay for a sequencer I love. My next experiment is to get the DrumBrute sequencing Battery.

Realistically you could also get an Elektron Machinedrum MKII (no sampling version) for 599 ish probably. I have to say that'll be a serious contender for my next drum machine. I do want another one at some point, but i"m pretty satisifed with what I have right now for percussion.

------------------
Old 13-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #20
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Happy to talk to you more about the DrumBrute. I think its a fair price. A couple things to consider--one big thing for me in accepting the DB into my workflow was giving up on the idea that it has 2 kick voices. I'm madly in love with Kick 2 (the 808 style kick) as an actualy kick drum. Quite often I will use either Kick 1, the Zap or any of the other voices as a top kick/click. I will also use the Kick 1 voice to beef up the snare.

The hats, cymbal and snare all take well to a little live tweaking over 16 bars or whatevs. I feel like the hats are going to be love 'em or hate 'em for most people. Personally, I'm aboslutely in love with how dirty, gritty or totally fubar the hats can sound : ) Its a real pleasure to get them slamming and then taming them with further processing.

While I do think most of the voices have limited sweet spots/range, all of them take so, so, SO well to external processing...I can stack an instance of U-he Satin, D16 Devistator and more on each voice and start getting a nice gritty, even gooey drum bus going.

I can see how it isn't for everyone and ideally it won't be my only drummachine. In the same price range if you can own only one, I might go with an Electribe Sampler 2. Between the on board synthesis options and the fact that it handles oneshots nicely its really the best of all worlds. The onboard synthesis and resampling is enough to make it a serious contender as a drum synth.

The TR-8 is a possability, its fun as hell and has some cool options, but ultimately it sequencing options are as limited as the DrumBrute's voices are. At the end of the day I'd rather pay for a sequencer I love. My next experiment is to get the DrumBrute sequencing Battery.

Realistically you could also get an Elektron Machinedrum MKII (no sampling version) for 599 ish probably. I have to say that'll be a serious contender for my next drum machine. I do want another one at some point, but i"m pretty satisifed with what I have right now for percussion.
So I finally got the opportunity to hands on the brutedaddy drum today and it made up my mind for me. It really is everything I could have hoped it to be, I heard what you meant about those fuzzy hats and claps. I took also upon myself to browse the fx on the amp that it was running through and by doing that it only made my desire burn even hotter. If I budget this decision correctly, I'll effectively have it in my clutches by May.

Advertisements

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
Thanks to jVs
relic (13-04-2017)