The Big Monosound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 18460
The Big Monosound

Hey guys I had this idea because I have a moog, and I want to learn more sound design for sounds I have not even thought of yet, and I know others have monosynths with ambient, industrial, and other sounds.

I am starting this forum to share not only some of my sounds, but to have an exchange of monosynth sounds for any platform really.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
XanderBlake
Radial Developer
XanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of lightXanderBlake is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Re: The Big Monosound

mono sounds:

Sub, kick, some kinds of snare I use, sometimes voice.

Mono is easier to compress imo because the spread isn't there.
As a general rule, the "more stereo" a sound is the quieter it will seem in a mix at any given DB peak. The inverse is also true.

Not sure exactly what you're asking for really, but figured I's toss you some mono info.

Oh also, it's a good idea to send live recorded instrument tracks through a mono processor first *then* apply your effects, bringing it back to stereo.

The reason being, unless you want an instrument panned to one side already, it gets frustrating trying to compensate for a track that's too far to one side for any reason other than your own intentions. My guitar does this. My cord is a stereo cord, and the jack on the PC is too, but the guitar is mono. Something doesn't work *quite* right and my guitar always comes out left pan, so I mono it first now.

------------------
"The best music, is music that mutates." -Xander Blake

https://www.youtube.com/user/xanderblake667
https://www.facebook.com/shadow1992
XanderBlake is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236379

I am pretty sure the question is op was about monophonic synthesis, rather than mono/stereo.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159110
Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,378 Posts

One synth I'll never get tired of using when it comes to finding that right "deep" sound is the Alpha-Ray from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

You can download it for free, but there's a small charge (..around $6) to unlock some of the features..but it's really worth it for the quality of sound this thing give you.But failing that, you can always whack on your own reverb and/or delay and end up with some really nice sounds.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
RFJ (06-09-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159110
Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,378 Posts

Another good one, though slightly more costly, is the "Night Flight" analogue string ensemble - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It's got a really good, clean "old-style" sound to it and it cost $15. It's well able to give you that old mono sound, as well as a more epic stereo vibe as well..depending on what you're looking for..

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
sternail
Regular Freak
sternail is a jewel in the roughsternail is a jewel in the roughsternail is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Native Instrument's Monark is a pretty dang mono synth.
But you already own a Moog, so I guess your not too much into buying a soft synth version of it.
sternail is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513330
Thanked 6,448 Times in 4,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternail View Post
Native Instrument's Monark is a pretty dang mono synth.
But you already own a Moog, so I guess your not too much into buying a soft synth version of it.
Monark is flat out amazing tbh. I was thinking of buying a Moog until I got it. I see no reason to now.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525470

I never pre-planned to record anything in mono, but after getting some decent desktop mono filters, I realized recording everything in mono without FX if possible then adding FX later to widen the sound or whatever makes a world of difference.
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to agent
relic (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513330
Thanked 6,448 Times in 4,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
I never pre-planned to record anything in mono, but after getting some decent desktop mono filters, I realized recording everything in mono without FX if possible then adding FX later to widen the sound or whatever makes a world of difference.
At some point I decided to start recording things in mono as well and stand by it. If something doesn't need to be in stereo I will often record/render it in mono.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
sternail
Regular Freak
sternail is a jewel in the roughsternail is a jewel in the roughsternail is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Monark is flat out amazing tbh. I was thinking of buying a Moog until I got it. I see no reason to now.
Same thing here, this synth is unbelievable analog... I already loved U-he's Diva, but Monark is the king!
sternail is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternail View Post
Same thing here, this synth is unbelievable analog... I already loved U-he's Diva, but Monark is the king!
Monark is definitely the best sounding virtual Minimoog so far. Still not quite like the real thing but indeed fully worth the money.

Advertisements

BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote