The history of IDM
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 19-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
WRENofficial
Learning The Ropes
WRENofficial will become famous soon enoughWRENofficial will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
The history of IDM

So - do we got any historians in here on IDM, or a place to direct me where I can read some more about it than what's on Wikipedia?

A general timeline would be good (I've been to ishkur ) I'm interested in pattern-based "textured" beats from the Vespertine era, and really want to know how that came about

Advertisements

WRENofficial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Ametsub
Old 19-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 3960
Re: The history of IDM

You might find this map entertaining, or this text interesting, though how about a 100 track selection?.
There's a lot of nice detail in books like Ocean of Sound and The Ambient Century though they might be looking at the early stages and more on the ambient side. I'd be interested in a definite timeline outside of album titles too.
90s were more Warp/UK domain (idiot government tried to ban techno and so we're left with a beautiful Autechre Anti EP). Higher Intelligence Agency's Freefloater (1995) is a nice example of the early genre. In the 00s it kind of shifted a little across the ocean. Tracker-based musicians who got their skills in the 90s got commercial releases in the 00s. There was a lot of love for Mille Plateux and clicks/cuts in general in early 00s. Vespertine (Bjork+Matmos) I think almost signalled it had all gone mainstream, and as the mp3 decade really got going, many of us just paused intuitively to wait out the "music in the cloud" mess. Enough seeds to get you started?

Last edited by eesn; 20-02-2016 at 01:02 AM..

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: radio through mxr carbon copy
Thanks to eesn
professurreal (20-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #3
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River
MC Status: 89278823
Thanked 1,518 Times in 1,166 Posts

Skam Records probably worth a mention as well.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna View Post
What is this vile sencesorcery? Be gone with ye, witch!
Sencesor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 02:37 AM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

The history of IDM: In the 90's some journalist made up that term and forever polarized electronic music.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The history of IDM: In the 90's some journalist made up that term and forever polarized electronic music.
this :/

------------------
Old 20-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10531001

Warp records 1992, they called it "artificial intelligence" then somewhere down the line somebody decided to rename it IDM.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cane creek
Sencesor (21-02-2016)
Old 21-02-2016, 12:23 AM   #7
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
Sencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MCSencesor is a savage MC
The Nung River

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Warp records 1992, they called it "artificial intelligence" then somewhere down the line somebody decided to rename it IDM.
Hmm, it never occurred to me... that's probably it. and we got stuck with that dubious pretentious "IDM" term tag ever since. RDJ's "Braindance" was a much better one I think, and accurate.

------------------
Quote:
Old 21-02-2016, 12:40 AM   #8
Sencesor
Savage Mad Cack
The Nung River

This thread made me remember this:

From Skam first release in 1991, Autechre's Rob Brown & Sean Booth debut release as Lego Feet.

------------------
Quote:
Old 21-02-2016, 12:58 AM   #9
eesn
Knob Twiddler
London

oh yeah, there's also this pure gold (from here)

------------------
Old 21-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58710
Thanked 1,174 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
oh yeah, there's also this pure gold (from here)

That's fucking hilarious man

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
WRENofficial
Learning The Ropes
WRENofficial will become famous soon enoughWRENofficial will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

This is beyond good man! Thank you for this IDM steakhouse of a start! Cratediggin all these links!
WRENofficial is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
eesn
Knob Twiddler
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
That's fucking hilarious man
I find it contains a lot of the "history" of IDM - the subtle references in the chat become more real the deeper you go.

------------------
Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 AM   #13
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8860

I tend to think of the release of Warp's Artificial Intelligence compilation as the birth of IDM. Sure you can find stuff from earlier than 1992 (I've even heard it argued that Kraftwerk's track Metal on Metal is the grandfather of IDM) but that seems the place where it all came together to be a coherent genre with it's own particular identified tropes.

As for the name IDM itself, I think all agree it's not great but I do find it much better than Braindance, my god that's a terrible title.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
machine75
Regular Freak
machine75 will become famous soon enough
Wellington, New Zealand
MC Status: 60

Quote:
You might find this map entertaining, or this map interesting, though how about a 100 track selection?.
There's a lot of nice detail in books like Ocean of Sound and The Ambient Century though they might be looking at the early stages and more on the ambient side. I'd be interested in a definite timeline outside of album titles too.
90s were more Warp/UK domain (idiot government tried to ban techno and so we're left with a beautiful Autechre Anti EP). Higher Intelligence Agency's Freefloater (1995) is a nice example of the early genre. In the 00s it kind of shifted a little across the ocean. Tracker-based musicians who got their skills in the 90s got commercial releases in the 00s. There was a lot of love for Mille Plateuax and clicks/cuts in general in early 00s. Vespertine (Bjork+Matmos) I think almost signalled it had all gone mainstream, and as the mp3 decade really got going, many of us just paused intuitively to wait out the "music in the cloud" mess. Enough seeds to get you started?
Simon Reynold's book Energy Rush seems pretty on the money.

Everyone has their own take... but personally I think of things like Black Dog's Bytes and HIA's Colourform, Reload, and Plaid's Uneasy Listening as being the start, because they are more obviously 'dance' (than say B12's Electrosoma or Incunabula) and clearly some journalists thought dance music couldn't be intelligent so they felt they needed a new name. Why did they think that? One interesting view I've heard is that they were caught up in 80s anti-disco/pro-Rock views that were homophobic and racist and saw Dance as Disco and Disco as Black/Gay. So arguably they really meant 'white straight dance music' when they coined the idea of IDM...
machine75 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 02:39 AM   #15
Evolutionxxxy
Learning The Ropes
Evolutionxxxy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The history and future of IDM is directly correlated with the discovery and implementation of technology. Science provides the practical method.Sound production tools that quite often are then used by artists in order to design subjective music.

There remains a disconnection between the methods/tools used to produce IDM (or electronic music in general) and the mindsets of many (scientifically illiterate artists).

The objective reality that computers (synthesisers , sequencers(+amplifiers,speakers etc) etc)) function within, thus the real physicality of the music. In contrast (and contrary to the evidence) the huge amount of subjective opinions that artists advocate in the titles and or lyrics of their music reflects the many deep rooted delusions that remain part of many human cultures.

Due to the facts that electronic music production has become more simplified for the masses, this genre of music (that can also synthesise all other musical genres) becomes more plausible for scientifically/technologically illiterate artists to use as a method to promote their opinions without any regard of what music/sounds physical properties are.

i.e - Complicated science based tech used to sell simple idealogical points of view that have no relevance, other than in the subjective minds of those whom believe the same dreams. Here today gone tomorrow, as is the transient nature of fantasy. But the physics will remain.

Last edited by Evolutionxxxy; 15-03-2016 at 02:46 AM..
Evolutionxxxy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
machine75
Regular Freak
Wellington, New Zealand

If I have understood what you're saying, I mostly agree! My own music is very much 'about' electronic music itself and the new world of sound it opens. My first release was called 'The Sound Inside Sound'. A reviewer aptly called it '...a kind of post-apocalyptic anti-dance electronic sound-germ warfare experiment... intriguing, intense and strongly evocative of debris-strewn ruins.'

But I also think thi technology is fair game for anyone to use it however they want... you seem to be taking a pretty purist view? There's a great lyric in a Funkstorung song, 'Italian girls are dancing to a symphony, made of one tone". Dancing is fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolutionxxxy View Post
The history and future of IDM is directly correlated with the discovery and implementation of technology. Science provides the practical method.Sound production tools that quite often are then used by artists in order to design subjective music.

There remains a disconnection between the methods/tools used to produce IDM (or electronic music in general) and the mindsets of many (scientifically illiterate artists).

The objective reality that computers (synthesisers , sequencers(+amplifiers,speakers etc) etc)) function within, thus the real physicality of the music. In contrast (and contrary to the evidence) the huge amount of subjective opinions that artists advocate in the titles and or lyrics of their music reflects the many deep rooted delusions that remain part of many human cultures.

Due to the facts that electronic music production has become more simplified for the masses, this genre of music (that can also synthesise all other musical genres) becomes more plausible for scientifically/technologically illiterate artists to use as a method to promote their opinions without any regard of what music/sounds physical properties are.

i.e - Complicated science based tech used to sell simple idealogical points of view that have no relevance, other than in the subjective minds of those whom believe the same dreams. Here today gone tomorrow, as is the transient nature of fantasy. But the physics will remain.
Old 16-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
eesn
Knob Twiddler
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine75 View Post
personally I think of things like Black Dog's Bytes and HIA's Colourform, Reload, and Plaid's Uneasy Listening as being the start, because they are more obviously 'dance' (than say B12's Electrosoma or Incunabula)
Incunabula is an interesting example, if you go back to 1993 and dig through the music scene context at the time, it becomes apparent how alien that release was at the time.

------------------
Old 17-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #18
machine75
Regular Freak
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Incunabula is an interesting example, if you go back to 1993 and dig through the music scene context at the time, it becomes apparent how alien that release was at the time.
Definitely, although there were a lot of very different alien sounds going on at that time. My 1993 favourite IDM albums:

Black Dog - Bytes and Temple of Transparent Balls
KLF - Chill Out
Reload - A Collection of Short Stories
HIA - Colourform
B12 - Electrosoma
Speedy J - Ginger
Autechre - Incunabula
Aphex Twin - SAW1

All totally different... except for half of them being on Warp!

Greta link though - I haven't seen those pages on Wikipedia before.

Advertisements