The worst hardware you tried/owned
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 21-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269458758
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,808 Posts
The worst hardware you tried/owned

Let's stop being positive about hardware, there is junk out there, let's celebrate!

Only one rule you can only post hardware you either owned or tried first hand, no dissing based on youtube, reviews or forum opinions.

I'll start with two awful gems I briefly owned.
Roland D2 and Roland MC-09

Roland D2 was simply unprogrammable, I never managed to get my head around how awful and counter-intuitive this orange piece of plastic was, nevertheless, 4 out of 5 stars on Vintage Synth Explorer...

Roland MC-09, awful sounds, noisy synth and very noisy resampling, all in a cheap, very cheap plastic case...

I know that a man's garbage is another man's treasure, but we just want your garbage here...

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts
Re: The worst hardware you tried/owned

Stellar idea for a hardware thread!

I've been fairly lucky in this regard...but recently bought a stinker....the Boss DR202!

To be fair the sounds were actually pretty damn good (I'm actually pissed at myself for not sampling some of them before I sold them)...but actually programming a beat on this thing is an absolute nightmare IMO. Perhaps I am just spoiled by modern hardware, but this thing pissed me off so much I could even be bothered to program it via another sequencer much. Well, also, the line outs started failing too... so to an AS IS ebay sale it was with this guy...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
lolirl (21-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

I made about 10 albums using the DR-202. Love it to death. On a budget, there is nothing better. Good drum sounds that can be tweaked, a bass track, and a track to trigger sequences/samples.

It's super easy to use, to. Just hit record and play your beats! Couldn't be easier.

One of the last live bands I was in consisted of the DR-202 on drums, bass and keyboards, and three guitarists.

I just sold mine that I had since they were new last summer. My only complaint is that the the unit was noisy, and the outputs were not pro-quality.

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
relic (21-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

The worst thing I ever owned was a crappy Bontempi organ. I traded a CZ-5000 for it. Wow. What a major bummer.

Ended up giving it to Goodwill.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
lolirl (21-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8533730
Thanked 6,856 Times in 4,882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
I made about 10 albums using the DR-202. Love it to death. On a budget, there is nothing better. Good drum sounds that can be tweaked, a bass track, and a track to trigger sequences/samples.

It's super easy to use, to. Just hit record and play your beats! Couldn't be easier.

One of the last live bands I was in consisted of the DR-202 on drums, bass and keyboards, and three guitarists.

I just sold mine that I had since they were new last summer. My only complaint is that the the unit was noisy, and the outputs were not pro-quality.
True. Playing in drums isnt bad...but the "step" programming was obnoxious. ..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
True. Playing in drums isnt bad...but the "step" programming was obnoxious. ..
I've never used the step programming, so I can't comment on that.

------------------
Old 21-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026191
Thanked 7,175 Times in 4,464 Posts

Nice idea Auto. That one mega thread is good for general chatter but not so great for more focussed but rolling topics.
Another idea might be a separate thread for great bargain hardware, maybe sub 500 or something?

Anyway, epic start boys.
I had the misfortune of working in a Roland approved store (which basically means you get forced to stock at least one of each of their pos stock range) where I had the unfortunate job of trying to get rid of those things.
They hung around until we were practically paying people to take them, nobody wanted them at the time.

I've owned some low-end shit in my days.
The [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is definitely the worst thing I ever bought, even though it was only for jokes and possible sampling. It succeeded at neither, taking up space on the shelf masquerading as a quirky, fun classic like it's older sibling, the regular Stylophone.

And the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
is a pretty boring/limited drum machine too so I had it circuit bent. (it's always for sale if anyone's interested)

I'd say next after that is the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I never really got into it properly tbh, mainly because it was just such a faff and a bit limited compared to what you can do and the speed you can do it in FM7/8.

Pretty much all my hardware except the Nord Rack was strictly on a budget though, and that's probably why none of it survived the switch to laptop.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
- my first "real" synth. Bought it for 100 in about '99, having been spoiled with 16 part, software editable [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which, although never fat sounding and quite noisey on the output, was actually a lot more interesting. The CZ makes nice sounds but it's pretty limited and slow to programme unless you use an editor like Sounddiver.

- I was given this by a lady who's husband had died. Suffered from similar issues to the Casio imo, also went towards laptop budget.

- Yeah, it's a tiny analogue synth, awesome. Except it isn't really, apart from maybe for bass.
I went to buy this from a guy thinking I was getting a bargain on a Yamaha [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and I was too embarrassed to admit my mistake and bought it anyway to play with for a bit. It came with a breath controller actually.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834777

Roland DJ-70

Challenge anyone to find a user that actually found the jog/scratch wheel of any use.

Had some fun with it at the time it was released, but really...it was quite shite.

The filter, was the only good point I recall...

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
lolirl (21-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174

Akai MPK Mini (Connectivity Issues)

Wouldn't even interface with that DAW, spent hours troubleshooting the connection on multiple occasions. Never was a midi signal received from this peace of garbage.

PS: get weighted/semi-weighted keys or proper pads if u are gonna invest in a midi controller, anything less can be achieved on your laptop keys.

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851960

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Wow that was my first sampler, I made some nice techno on it back in the early 90s. But eventually sold it and traded up to a yamaha a3000, far better bit of kit.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

Edirol PCR-M1 - come summer the rubber contacts melted.
M-Audio Microtrack 2496 (1st edition) - crawled like a dog; never ever, ever, had any battery

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #12
D_Davis
Seattle

Auto - I could never even figure out what that D2 thing was supposed to be.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
relic (21-04-2015)
Old 21-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Damn someone beat me to the Casio Cz 1000
Oh well my vote still goes to what was also my first synth
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1533677
Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,225 Posts

Roland S-10 Sampler

It was a sampling keyboard that was 12 bit had no memory and used some shitty proprietary discs called quick discs. The ones i could find were for some Brother Typewriter thing or something.

Was a total piece of garbage, and the Disc's kept going bad and eventually were completely unavailable.

Bought it used, returned it within the 30 day return window.

GARBAGE.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
lolirl (22-04-2015)
Old 22-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897

Zoom pedals = garbage
RS-35 processor = processor that needs shit ton of processing. It's supposed to turn sound into CV.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #16
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151760
Thanked 3,035 Times in 1,823 Posts

One's man's garbage....

I loved the Poly 800. I borrowed one years ago. I should get my own. I became really fast at programming/tweaking it. I knew ever parameter number by heart.

And I fucking LOVED the gritty noisy oscillators full of aliasing, 80's neo-futuristic type of character it has (to my ears). One filter for all voices, yes... it is part of it's lovable sound.

Worst hardware? Hm uhhh...my yamaha su700, I guess. I did do lots with it. But it's all kinds of shit, no matter how you look at it. Sampling quality is terrible. Midi implementation was done by something no smarter that an earthworm. Still a fun box. I lent it to a friend seven years ago and never asked for it back lol.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Zoom pedals (all), Behringer pedals (all), any kind of Behringer preamp, Behringer's iAxe, Shure's PG line, and last but not least

...this piece of shit takes the cake.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #18
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902459
Thanked 3,465 Times in 2,097 Posts

The MC-303. Luckily I didn't own it, but for some reason I had it for a year or two. I reckon I turned it on twice. It was shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
Akai MPK Mini (Connectivity Issues)

Wouldn't even interface with that DAW, spent hours troubleshooting the connection on multiple occasions. Never was a midi signal received from this peace of garbage.

PS: get weighted/semi-weighted keys or proper pads if u are gonna invest in a midi controller, anything less can be achieved on your laptop keys.
To be honest, I can't think of any mini USB keyboard I've encountered that isn't shitty. Whether it's the Akai Minis or the Korg Nanos, they're all pretty average build quality.

But on the topic of the MPK, I was originally a fan of my MPK49 control surface. But after five years I have to say I wouldn't buy another one. The shitty controls are all glitchy as fuck with about three or four of them randomly spitting out CC messages. They keybed is still great, but the CC messages make the rest of the controller unusable.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
lolirl (22-04-2015)
Old 22-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026191
Thanked 7,175 Times in 4,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
The MC-303. Luckily I didn't own it, but for some reason I had it for a year or two. I reckon I turned it on twice. It was shit.

To be honest, I can't think of any mini USB keyboard I've encountered that isn't shitty. Whether it's the Akai Minis or the Korg Nanos, they're all pretty average build quality.

But on the topic of the MPK, I was originally a fan of my MPK49 control surface. But after five years I have to say I wouldn't buy another one. The shitty controls are all glitchy as fuck with about three or four of them randomly spitting out CC messages. They keybed is still great, but the CC messages make the rest of the controller unusable.
That's not unique to Akai.
I'm looking at you M-Audio.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6902459
Thanked 3,465 Times in 2,097 Posts

^ Yeah, and Edirol, Behringer etc. I went with Akai last time around because of these brands. I was happy to pay the brand premium because in the past I've associated them with good hardware. I should have read up on the shitty build quality of the APC40 before purchasing.

Next time I need to replace my control surface, I'm going to spend up.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote