Industrial with a specific vibe
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Industrial / EBM / Power Electronics Discussion of music similar to Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
androdion
Analog Lurker
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all
MC Status: 560
Industrial with a specific vibe

I'm looking for industrial music with a very specific kind of sound. The urge for it came to be when I was checking Blut Aus Nord's more experimental albums, where they alternate between their metallic shade and a more Godflesh-oriented kind of spacey industrial. Three examples of what I'm talking about:

Our Blessed Frozen Cells

Procession of the Dead Clowns

Epitome II

On these songs listed above the band goes for a dark and kind of trippy spacey atmosphere that reeks of solitude and emotion. Is there anything else out there that resembles this kind of atmosphere? It doesn't need to be metallic per se, although it wouldn't hurt, but the emphasis is primarily on that specific atmosphere and pace.

Any thoughts?!

Advertisements

androdion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
SantiagoPaskuda
Regular Freak
SantiagoPaskuda has a spectacular aura aboutSantiagoPaskuda has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
Re: Industrial with a specific vibe

But this is not industial at all. It's death/black metal or post black metal or something like that.
You can try Portal. It's death metal and their music is faster, but there's also that creepy, infernal and mystic feeling, similar to these songs you gave as an example. They sound really scary.
Or if you want to find specifically industrial, non-guitar music, bringing the same feeling, then I have no idea.
SantiagoPaskuda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
androdion
Analog Lurker
androdion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to allandrodion is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiagoPaskuda View Post
Or if you want to find specifically industrial, non-guitar music, bringing the same feeling, then I have no idea.
This was more what I had in mind, yes. I'm not exactly looking for metal, although if it had a bit of a metallic edge it wouldn't hurt, but stuff sounding more like "Procession of the Dead Clowns" would be very interesting to listen to. Imagine that kind of atmosphere, that machine-like repetition expanded over an entire album's worth of composition. That's pretty much what I've been trying to find for quite some time now. I haven't had much luck so far though...
Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts

What about this?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
androdion
Analog Lurker

A bit too much if you ask me. I actually enjoyed the Necro Deathmort track you posted on your thread though, I just haven't been able to listen to the whole album yet (and maybe I should).

Have you tried that P.H.O.B.O.S. song by any chance?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

i really can't think of any bands that mostly specialize in that kind of sound. i can think of a few death/black metal bands that have those elements occasionally and/or use them as sort of interludes:

this one goes into other territories, but if you haven't heard of Dodheimsgard, I really urge you to check out their '666 International' album. it's 15 years old and it still sounds great and still one of the best black/industrial/experimental crossover albums I've ever heard. just full of emotion, creativity, weirdness and it has a very distinct character:

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
androdion
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
i really can't think of any bands that mostly specialize in that kind of sound. i can think of a few death/black metal bands that have those elements occasionally and/or use them as sort of interludes
Yeah, that has been my problem as well. I really like it when BAN go dark industrial but I'm not very fond of the remainder of their music. And sadly, I'm already familiar with all the bands you listed. Red Harvest is the most interesting of the three for me, but even then it's not quite there.

I'm beginning to think that what I'm after isn't really "a thing".
Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdion View Post
A bit too much if you ask me. I actually enjoyed the Necro Deathmort track you posted on your thread though, I just haven't been able to listen to the whole album yet (and maybe I should).

Have you tried that P.H.O.B.O.S. song by any chance?
I downloaded the album on Google music, not listened to it fully yet...

------------------
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294596

This is not exactly along the lines of the stuff posted here...but I say give it a chance anyway

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #10
androdion
Analog Lurker

Eraldo Bernocchi on guitars? Now I'm dead curious!

I can see why you recommended that Terminal Sound System song, and I really like the tense dynamics and ominous vibe it brings forth. It's not exactly the kind of sound I was going for with this thread but it does bear some interest to me anyway. I'll have to give it my undivided attention though since there's quite a lot of different things happening there.

Metallic Taste Of Blood sounds more like a supergroup dabbling into the avant-prog realm of all things musical. I'm not really sure about what to make of it though, even after listening to three songs of that album...
Old 12-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

Quote:
Eraldo Bernocchi on guitars? Now I'm dead curious!

Quote:
Metallic Taste Of Blood sounds more like a supergroup dabbling into the avant-prog realm of all things musical. I'm not really sure about what to make of it though, even after listening to three songs of that album...
Yep, I guess you can call it a supergroup...and they definitely travel in some strange, incendiary regions...

You should definitely try the entire album

Quote:
I can see why you recommended that Terminal Sound System song, and I really like the tense dynamics and ominous vibe it brings forth. It's not exactly the kind of sound I was going for with this thread but it does bear some interest to me anyway. I'll have to give it my undivided attention though since there's quite a lot of different things happening there.
I don't usually listen to this sort of stuff, but this one has just resonated with me. The atmosphere, the intensity, the dynamic and eclectic nature.

I wonder if this will speak to you:

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 12-01-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #12
androdion
Analog Lurker

Somehow I feel like this Lights Out Asia album would be better suited for my other thread. Sounding nice and smooth so far, very serene in fact.

Here in this thread though I was trying to get something a big "uglier", if you catch my drift.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #13
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Quote:
Somehow I feel like this Lights Out Asia album would be better suited for my other thread. Sounding nice and smooth so far, very serene in fact.

Here in this thread though I was trying to get something a big "uglier", if you catch my drift.
Yep, definitely

Though it does sort of ebb and flow...

Old 12-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #14
androdion
Analog Lurker

It does indeed. I would just like to keep ugly on one fence and beauty on the other, ha ha.
Old 15-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
HypnoticImplant
Analog Lurker
HypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to beholdHypnoticImplant is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

How about that one? Probably the best SYL song and probably kinda underrated. It's slow, it's massive, it sounds tormented. What's not to love?

After all these years I actually consider this one superior to Godflesh, still a wonderfully depressing and bleak-sounding band.

------------------
HypnoticImplant is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #16
androdion
Analog Lurker

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sadly though I'm also familiar with SYL, and not a fan. But I probably should've mentioned that I'm intensely familiar with most forms of metal by this point in time, as in, there's not much I don't know or haven't listened to in terms of known names. Which kind of goes hand in hand with why I asked for stuff more on the industrial side of things, considering that on the metallic spectrum I haven't found anything else sounding like that. Know what I mean?!
Old 16-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

By the way, what about the album "Through Silver in Blood" by Neurosis?
Is that close to what you're thinking?

------------------
Old 16-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
androdion
Analog Lurker

More like the harsher bits on Enemy Of The Sun if you will. It's curious though because I was to talk to you about Neurosis on your other thread, taking into account the rhythm on that Necro Deathmort song.

Neurosis is one of my all-time favourite bands.
Old 16-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
Voyac
Soundwave Mangler
Voyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MC
Gdynia
MC Status: 3587899

Well if it is about experimental black metal band, then take a look at this gem from polish metal scene:

On the second tought, it's a bit more extreme, but ill leave it here, cause it's still a good album.
Also... Ulver maybe?

Last edited by Voyac; 16-01-2015 at 03:15 PM..

------------------
Voyac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #20
androdion
Analog Lurker

My only familiarity with Lux Occulta is Vogg's involvement. I'll give it a shot.

Post-2000 Ulver is a nice recommendation, but I was never able to get into the band's more experimental stages. It just doesn't tick, you know?!

Advertisements