Douche Factor - IDMf EDM Compilation Album
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42348799
Thanked 4,296 Times in 2,808 Posts
Douche Factor - IDMf EDM Compilation Album

Ok, first off, sounding out interest for those that would be up for making an IDMf EDM homage album. By homage I mean loz0r pisstake. This came about because of discussion here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and an idle suggestion on Page 7.

If we do this, the usual rules will have to apply - no remixes, copywrited material, turd burgling from other people's work and so forth.

As today is the first day we're seeing if this jobbie will float, I also cannot guarantee we would have mastering services available so its possible people may be doing their own. If someone steps up to this, that would be greatly appreciated. Should we get a mastering offer, then the usual -3db will apply but I would personally advise you to aim at -6db, giving you lots of room to make mistakes (uh, like I usually do), leaving the loudness factor the gods of mastering.

If we get a mastering person, then you can consider that -3db is an absolute rule and breaking it disqualifies you.

Also, no previously published tracks.

We'll need some folks to go on the jury to make decisions on who has the worthy golden douches.

I'm thinking we make closing date midnight between 30th June and 1st July UK time, aiming to have everything in place for the end of July at the latest so we can flush this out into the wide world by August at the latest.

I'll update this post based on feedback and firm up the details. I'll make it obvious when we've nailed the 'rules' and its all pretty much set in stone. If we don't get enough interest, no harm no foul.

After the discussion on the Open Letter To EDM thread, I've already written and nearly completed something I'll submit for this

Let the douche discussion commence!

Advertisements

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Stercogburn
Jaded (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 57910
Thanked 1,158 Times in 773 Posts
Re: Douche Factor - IDMf EDM Compilation Album

So we're actually turning this into EDMforums now?

(sorry couldn't help it)

This actually sounds fun but I probably won't have the time as I'm pretty busy both musically and generally at the moment... Have fun though

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001491
Thanked 6,681 Times in 4,182 Posts

I'm not sure this is a great idea tbh.
Mildly amusing sure but I just see it creating waves both here and outside the forum. It's just going to put some people's noses out of joint whilst simultaneously putting us up on a pedestal to have shit thrown at us. Much better to put the effort into the next proper IDMf output imo.
lolirl is offline   Thanks
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Stercogburn
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Mildly amusing sure but I just see it creating waves both here and outside the forum. It's just going to put some people's noses out of joint whilst simultaneously putting us up on a pedestal to have shit thrown at us. Much better to put the effort into the next proper IDMf output imo.
If naming it associated with the forum is going to be an issue then we can rename it. To something like "Absolutely Not IDMf Nuh Uh" or whatever. Also, I'm unaware of any upcoming IDMF compilations but I may have missed something.

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
I don't know... it could just be seen as poking a little fun.

Anyway do you really think IDMforums is known well enough for this to cause a fuss? And if it did then why don't all of the anti-EDM comments on here by members already do? There are enough threads on here that could already be seen as putting us on a pedestal...

Just my opinion though...

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Also, I'm unaware of any upcoming IDMF compilations but I may have missed something.
This one was a compilation: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
You even made a track for it, no? (or am I misunderstanding what you meant?)

Last edited by professurreal; 05-28-2014 at 01:33 PM..

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Yeah yeah, fair enough, I'm just giving my thoughts too, don't assume I'm steamrollering this just yet.
I think it's just a bit weird that we'll be basically taking the piss out of music that some of our members really like, just seems a bit like the next cunty elite clique move to me tbh and if there's any mention of that guy who started this discussion (can't even remember his name, lol) then it's bound to get a bit more exposure and come back on us eventually. We really don't need any more irate EDMers coming here to give us (rightly deserved) shit.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Yeah yeah, fair enough, I'm just giving my thoughts too, don't assume I'm steamrollering this just yet.
I think it's just a bit weird that we'll be basically taking the piss out of music that some of our members really like, just seems a bit like the next cunty elite clique move to me tbh and if there's any mention of that guy who started this discussion (can't even remember his name, lol) then it's bound to get a bit more exposure and come back on us eventually. We really don't need any more irate EDMers coming here to give us (rightly deserved) shit.
I see your point (in a way) but feel kind of undecided about this. In a way yes, we are being cunts but in another way it is everyone's right to have an opinion and if people here find the generic type of EDM music crappy then so be it. I mean, noone is stopping EDMers from taking the piss about IDM in the same way... I think they should. It would actually force both sides to try and make a track in the other side's style... Maybe people's opinions change a little during that process (maybe not though)

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
I often write tracks that take the mickey out of many genres. This is just one more genre. As a genre, there's nothing wrong with EDM. As a scene that attracts the worst excesses of lowest common denominator marketing, thats a different thing alltogether.

That said, I don't know anyone on these forums that actually writes or has ever written IDM, even the long standing mods and members.

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
lolirl

Yeah, I just think it'd be a shame to put so much effort into something that's basically a throw-away joke.
By the time it's done it will kind of lost the spontaneous comedic edge and become something a bit lame and dark imo.
Why not just get on with something you're into and we'll do a new comp? Seems like a lot of effort to me for something counter-productive, unless of course this is just some shit we're going to knock out in a couple of days?
I'm not really sure I get the concept tbh. Is it supposed to be showing how easy it is to make some edm by making a great edm track or is the idea to make the worst shitty edm track possible or what?
Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

For the joke to work all the songs have to be amazing, commercial and perfectly produced songs.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Automageddon
PROton42 (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
lolirl

And played at a party by that dj whilst girls snort coke off each other's fannies and random gays chow each other's assholes.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Why not just get on with something you're into and we'll do a new comp? Seems like a lot of effort to me for something counter-productive, unless of course this is just some shit we're going to knock out in a couple of days?
For me personally this is probably the most valid point you make about this.

Quote:
And played at a party by that dj whilst girls snort coke off each other's fannies and random gays chow each other's assholes.
A video of such kind should definitely be obligatory!

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
lolirl (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Yeah, I just think it'd be a shame to put so much effort into something that's basically a throw-away joke.
By the time it's done it will kind of lost the spontaneous comedic edge and become something a bit lame and dark imo.
I'm not really sure I get the concept tbh. Is it supposed to be showing how easy it is to make some edm by making a great edm track or is the idea to make the worst shitty edm track possible or what?
Probably up to the individual. For me, I try to make the recording as good as possible but make the feel and any lyrics ridiculous. Inevitably its a lot of work to deliver the giggle. I think if people just wanted to shout "EDM is shit" in the chorus then yeh, its not a joke any more and its gone from giggles to hostile, which isn't something I'm so interested in. Parodies on the other hand are ace.

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
lolirl

Who's going to listen to it anyway?
A bunch of edm tracks by first-time edmers employing all the clichés they can think of?
Sounds awesome, I'm sure I'd have it on rotation for months, soundtrack to summer 2014.
Thanks to lolirl
RFJ (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9388879

top quality comedy it is then. BEGIN!

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6893359
Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,994 Posts

I can't believe it's not IDMf presents?

Quote:
Really though, wouldn't this be an opportunity to either prove or disprove that skill and hard work are/aren't required to write EE DEE EM?

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Really though, wouldn't this be an opportunity to either prove or disprove that skill and hard work are/aren't required to write EE DEE EM?
I think some people might be surprised actually Not saying EDM is harder than anything else might be but I also don't believe it's just as easy as some people want to portray it...

But since I never really tried I might be completely wrong...

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
lolirl (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #18
lolirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

That's valid, but then we shouldn't bill it as a piss-take imo.
But yeah, I'm still wondering who the audience is?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
That's valid, but then we shouldn't bill it as a piss-take imo.
But yeah, I'm still wondering who the audience is?
If it's actually relatively decent (and sort of meant in a relatively serious way) there might be quite a few people on here that would enjoy it

------------------
Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
lolirl

Yep, probably not me but yeah.

Advertisements

Closed Thread