What Is Jazzstep? Origin?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 20-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Icon5 What Is Jazzstep? Origin?

I know of Liquid Funk, and I guess I used to be confused as to what was Liquid Funk and what was Jazzstep.... but now I hear more of the difference, and how Jazzstep def has more of Jazz's sounds involved than Liquid Funk.....
Wikipedia doesn't provide a lot of info about this subgenre, so I was wondering if someone here might know and be able to tell me more about it? I'd like to know from what country (if any specific one) Jazzstep originated, and is it true it started in 2009?
also, just a hunch, would Jazzstep be a subgenre of DnB or a subgenre of Liquid Funk (cuz they sound really similar, I'd think Jazzstep came from Liquid Funk -- am I wrong)?
thx!!

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: What Is Jazzstep? Origin?

Are we SERIOUSLY not done adding step to the end of things and calling it a genre?

I'm sorry, don't mean to crap on your thread OP, but we've making jokes about everything-step here for years.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Kaede (10-08-2014)
Old 20-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

They're based on a minor difference in focus.

Jazz step is jazz samples and tends towards stepping beats. Liquid may use jazz elements but would also use ambient and even neurofunk elements and rolling beats.

Interesting fact (unsubstantiated*):
There will soon be more sub-genres of D'n'B than there are Genre of Music in general.

*In other words.... I made it up.

2009 Sounds late for jazzstep I'm pretty sure there are tracks that have all the elements from before that.

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 20-01-2014 at 11:49 PM..

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NeuralPunk
relic (20-01-2014)
Old 21-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184510
Thanked 3,690 Times in 2,751 Posts

It's following in the footsteps of the great Jazzyspoon..what else?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

Well, if its not on Wikipedia, clearly it doesn't exist.

Jeez, I remember when I was first going to raves. Basically there were maybe five genres of dance music that people ever really brought up...and at midnight all that mattered was whether it was four to the floor or breakbeat and by the end of the night all that mattered was we were all friends no matter which we preferred.

Yep. Hugs bitches.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough

well so far I found songs as early as around mid-2000's....
I ask cuz I create a series of electronic music genres as living/animated cartoon characters, so I'm wondering if, in that case, that Jazzstep would be a descendant of DnB or Liquid Funk..? I'm thinking Jazzstep could just be from DnB and is Liquid Funk's sibling, seeing that they're somewhat similar~
Old 21-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541480
Thanked 7,011 Times in 4,983 Posts

^Do you have those posted somewhere, Id like to see those.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
^Do you have those posted somewhere, Id like to see those.
my personifications of the music genres? yeah, they're on my website, I call "World Of Music" (you can tell I'm heavily into the electronic genres~):
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

*this link is about each genre with which I provided my own "demo songs" to each -- I'm currently working on creating Jazzstep, hence the creation of this thread!*
Thanks to Kozmotron
relic (21-01-2014)
Old 21-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

dunno but I dislike Jazzsteppa
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

jesus foookin christ

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmotron View Post
well so far I found songs as early as around mid-2000's....
I ask cuz I create a series of electronic music genres as living/animated cartoon characters, so I'm wondering if, in that case, that Jazzstep would be a descendant of DnB or Liquid Funk..? I'm thinking Jazzstep could just be from DnB and is Liquid Funk's sibling, seeing that they're somewhat similar~
But DnB is the parent of both

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
my personifications of the music genres? yeah, they're on my website, I call "World Of Music" (you can tell I'm heavily into the electronic genres~):

*this link is about each genre with which I provided my own "demo songs" to each -- I'm currently working on creating Jazzstep, hence the creation of this thread!*
Cool site. Props on making genre making a little less annoying- creative approach! Please consider adding cowstep if it doesn't exist yet.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
weirdmagic
Granular Poster
weirdmagic is a jewel in the roughweirdmagic is a jewel in the roughweirdmagic is a jewel in the rough
BXL

Quote:

i think your demo songs are really cool, what program or synths do you use? the songs have this really cheezy cheap vibe (wich i love!) i especially like the drumstep one, although i don't like drumstep.

------------------
weirdmagic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdmagic View Post
i think your demo songs are really cool, what program or synths do you use? the songs have this really cheezy cheap vibe (wich i love!) i especially like the drumstep one, although i don't like drumstep.
oh thanks!! I use FL Studio to make them.
and thx about the drumstep comment~

Advertisements