Colaborative Project
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
MC Status: 3460
Colaborative Project

Who want's to collaborate with me in a fun little experimental project?

So here's my idea (any suggestions on how to improve this experiment very welcome)

We create a massive collaborative sample based track.

* We start with 10 samples (they could be anything from a 1 bar piano riff to the sound of a frog) and the project gets passed onto the next person
* They arrange/remix and edit the 10 samples as they see fit, they can use only the 10 samples and must not add any of their own content to the composition.
* Then they bounce out the tracks of the projects and provide 10 samples of their own and pass it on to the next person to add to the composition.
* and so on and so forth until it comes back to me
* and we can keep going around and around until the project is so loaded with samples it sounds fucking amazing!..... or terrible... or until we get bored I guess.

BASIC RULES:

* You must add each provided sample to the composition at least once with no maxium limit of how many times you can use it
* You can edit the provided samples however you see fit with which ever effects you want
* You can edit and re arrange anything that has been previously added to the composition
* You may not add you own samples to the composition (Project file)
* You must provide exactly 10 samples to the next person no longer then 2 bars or 6 seconds
* The project can be as long as you want, (it does not have to be 2 bars long)
* Bounce out all tracks in an uncompressed format (wav or aif) before passing them onto the next person
* The Project is 90 BPM

so who's interested???????? you can join the project at any time

Last edited by Kneedless; 06-12-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kneedless is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Kneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond reputeKneedless has a reputation beyond repute
Straya
Re: Colaborative Project

I have Ableton 9.0.1 and 8.6 something on mac, i'm not sure what we will encounter with cross compatibility issues, I'll guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

------------------
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Might be easier to render the track out, then pass it on to the next person along with the 10 samples. Then they can use whichever DAW they like / you don't need to worry about version compatibility.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
lolirl (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
ChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the rough
B.C.
MC Status: 260

I imagine the quality wouldn't be at its best if you rendered and then sent the samples but it would definitely be easier.
This sounds like a fun project and I'd like to join in on it. I only have the launchpad edition of Ableton, I'm not sure if that'd create any problems.
ChiefWildHawk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

maybe we could export the separate tracks and pass them along, apparently wav and aiff are uncompressed, so in theory we shouldn't loose any information, is there a chance or artefacts developing form making a copy of a copy of a copy?

on an unrelated note We should decide on tempo, it should be between 90 and 120, I personally think 90 would be more suited to this sort of project. I belive slower track will draw the listener to the high amount of detail in the track

Last edited by Kneedless; 06-11-2013 at 01:59 PM..

------------------
Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedless View Post
maybe we could export the separate tracks and pass them along, apparently wav and aiff are uncompressed, so in theory we shouldn't loose any information, is there a chance or artefacts developing form making a copy of a copy of a copy?
It's not worth worrying about tbh. Rather have fun with .wav than hassle with DAW compatibility .
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
It's not worth worrying about tbh. Rather have fun with .wav than hassle with DAW compatibility .
indeed, you in Scyn?

------------------
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
indeed, you in Scyn?
Yup - I'm in .
Old 13-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

The first sample pack is ready! who wants to go first?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 13-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
ChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the roughChiefWildHawk is a jewel in the rough
B.C.

I'll load 'em up now and toy around, I've got work soon though so you probably won't see anything for hours to come.
Tempo of 90 and 2 bars maximum, right?

I don't know if you'll experience the sames problems but I tried upping it to soundcloud and it sped the song up so I put it on my mediafire
download/aggvic7qtapv140/Kneedless_Collab_Project_01.wav

If there are any issues I'll put more time into it after I get off work but for now that's what I got.

Last edited by ChiefWildHawk; 13-11-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Old 14-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWildHawk View Post
I'll load 'em up now and toy around, I've got work soon though so you probably won't see anything for hours to come.
Tempo of 90 and 2 bars maximum, right?

I don't know if you'll experience the sames problems but I tried upping it to soundcloud and it sped the song up so I put it on my mediafire
download/aggvic7qtapv140/Kneedless_Collab_Project_01.wav

If there are any issues I'll put more time into it after I get off work but for now that's what I got.
The 2 bars maximum rule is only for the 10 samples you provide, there is no limit to what you can do with the provided samples in the composition.

I'm at work at the moment will have a listen when I get home

Last edited by Kneedless; 14-11-2013 at 04:37 AM..

------------------
Old 14-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
B.C.

Ahhh that would have made things so much easier, I just made it two bars overall. I managed to do it though!
Old 14-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

hey man, That link doesn't work, is it just one track? would you be able to export it as stems so people have a chance to remix your contribution

also feel free to edit and make it longer if you like, now that you are clear on the rules.

------------------
Old 14-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
hey man, That link doesn't work, is it just one track? would you be able to export it as stems so people have a chance to remix your contribution

also feel free to edit and make it longer if you like, now that you are clear on the rules.
Here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

And @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
you need to include 10 of your own samples for the next person to work with .
Old 15-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #15
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
B.C.

Oh is that how it's working? I thought we all just used those 10 samples my bad. I'll find some samples for you guys.
As you can tell I'm still new to this but I don't know what you mean by stems?

As for the link I can't actually link anything as of yet to the site.

Any rulings on the samples I should know about?

edit: Just googled stems, do you want me to just post a screen of the project then?

evidently I need to read the thread more thoroughly

Last edited by ChiefWildHawk; 15-11-2013 at 02:36 AM..
Old 15-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWildHawk View Post
I'm still new to this but I don't know what you mean by stems?

As for the link I can't actually link anything as of yet to the site.

Any rulings on the samples I should know about?

edit: Just googled stems, do you want me to just post a screen of the project then?

evidently I need to read the thread more thoroughly
When you make a song in a DAW (digital audio workstation) you have multiple tracks, eg. a track with drums, one with guitar, one with synth, one with sound effects, ect. Every good DAW can export stems (also know as bouncing) which is an export of all the separate tracks instead of the final mix.

In Ableton you do the following:

1. File - Export audio/video
2. Under rendered tracks choose "all tracks" instead of "master"

also your samples have to be 6 seconds or less.

Last edited by Kneedless; 15-11-2013 at 09:30 AM..

------------------
Old 16-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #17
ChiefWildHawk
Granular Poster
B.C.

Okay, so does the next person have to use all 20 samples or can they only use my 10 samples? Because if it's the latter I think I'm gonna have to make different samples as most of mine are just little hits.

Thanks for explaining stems to me, btw!
?dxoapk8rf3ghkq1
There's the mediafire thing I hope it's acceptable.
Old 17-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

the next person must use your 10 samples, but they can also use the existing samples if they choose and make changes to the tracks in the existing arrangement

------------------
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Kneedless
Master of the LFO
Straya

well that was a fun and prosperous collaboration, BUMP!

------------------
Old 30-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #20
Mellow
Knob Twiddler
Mellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to beholdMellow is a splendid one to behold
Pennsylvania
MC Status: 760

Can I go next?!

Advertisements

Mellow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote