Any Vangelis fans on here?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rs, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 20-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171960
Thanked 3,439 Times in 2,566 Posts
Any Vangelis fans on here?

I'm looking for a little help from anyone who likes / knows / loves the work of Vangelis. I'm not talking about those who have heard of him..but anyone who knows his style and stuff really well and has bough his albums / CDs.

I'm currently working on a project of my own, a single track that will eventually end up being either EP or full album length..depending on my levels of creativity and inspiration.

I'm looking for someone or more members to give a listen to it in its current state and let me know if I have got it right..I think I have, but I need fresh ears to give it a play and give me feedback. It's no finished yet, even though it is currently over 10 minutes long and has two main parts to it.

If you liked his Blade Runner stuff, then you should be able to get into this no problem.

Hope some of you will help me out with this thing.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530180
Thanked 6,785 Times in 4,835 Posts
Re: Any Vangelis fans on here?

Id love to take a listen even though the blade runner score is all I know of his work.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Thanks guys..just PM'ed you both the link.

------------------
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns
MC Status: 460

I'm a big fan. I credit Vangelis as the primary reason I write synth music.
GKM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421869579
Thanked 4,832 Times in 2,793 Posts

I almost shat myself when I found a preset in zt3a+ called "Spiral." It's exactly what you think it is, AMechanics.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
Stich (31-03-2015)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530180
Thanked 6,785 Times in 4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
I almost shat myself when I found a preset in zt3a+ called "Spiral." It's exactly what you think it is, AMechanics.
Now I have to reinstall Z3TA

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
A.M

Thanks for that, Vlan..I'll have to check that out.

In case you didn't know, the free vst synth "Synth1" by Ichiro Toda has quite a few Vangelis presets..but most come in the add-on preset packs that you have to search out.

I'm pretty sure the links to these can be found over on the main KVR forum, but the direct link to the Synth1 page is here..in case you don't have it already..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

************************************************** *********************************************

Regarding my original post at the start of this thread..is there any takers here willing to give my album (..it turned into an album-length project in the end.) a listen and give me feedback on the same?

Public thanks to Relic, who already previewed the first two tracks for me back when I made the first post above..and for his feedback at the time..much thanks again, dude.

The album is currently due for release this coming December / January, depending on everything going to plan for the label..but it could be a little later than that if they don't.

Anyway, if you are into Vangelis, then it should appeal to you..though please keep in ind I AM NOT Vangelis, even though his influence clearly shines through the whole thing.

PM me if you are interested in giving this a listen and giving me feedback..and I'll get back to you before the weekend about it.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Numerical (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
GKM
Granular Poster
GKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of lightGKM is a glorious beacon of light
Tropical Cairns

I've come up with my own take on the Vangelis lead synth sound. I use a Vangelis patch from Zebra and mix it with a Violin (for some fuzzy bow type resonance) and a bit of French Horn, along with the tiniest bit of Moogish Whistle (...and the mandatory reverb and delay). People always ask me, what is that sound?
Old 14-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
synthsandjunk
Regular Freak
synthsandjunk is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Does anybody have a favorite album by him?
synthsandjunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthsandjunk View Post
Does anybody have a favorite album by him?
The thing I find about his work is how much they differ, while all "sound" the same..each album has a very different "feel" to it..making it unique. I don't really have "a" favorite one because of this, but there are a few that stand out for me for various reasons.

In not particular order of greatness, the following are on the top of my personal playlist..

The City

1492: Conquest Of Paradise

Antarctica

Oceanic

Direct

El Greco

I love the rest just as much, but to me these capture the man's genius perfectly. But, then again, there's always his 1978 album "Beaubourg"..God only knows what he was thinking when he came up with that one! Some say it was knocked out to keep his label at the time happy and fulfill the contract he had with them, while others think he was just trying to push the envelope in a different direction.

To be honest, I think the man is too talented to produce a steaming pile like that and try to pass it off as art, which is why I'm inclined to go with those who think it was a "fuck you" to the label back then..an act he is hardly going to admit to in public.

Still, even Vangelis can be excused something like "Beaubourg" when you look back over his outstanding body of work. The guy did a lot to bring ambient music back into the public domain and has been the launchpad for many into the genre..and for that he deserves to be remembered.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (14-09-2013)
Old 14-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.

Seven years ago, I bought Beaubourg without knowing what it was. I don't think I ever got through it.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 14-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Also, no special love for Spiral? The arpeggio on 3+3 is pure ecstasy.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 14-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
A.M

Quote:
Also, no special love for Spiral? The arpeggio on 3+3 is pure ecstasy.
No.."Spiral" is certain in there, too..as is "Private Collection", even though technically that was a bit of a collab with Jon Anderson, who did the vocals on it.

I also really like his more recent album, "Voices"..some REALLY nice use of vocal phrases on there and over-all morphing of layers in the style he has more or less made his own.

Though I'm not too enamored with "Mask" or even "Heaven and Hell"..both of which just seem to be lost on me. I've really tried to get into them..but can't for some obscure reason.

Mind you, it was the same with "China"..took me ages to really appreciate the full album, having been introduced to it through the last two tracks on it."Himalaya" and "Summit"..both epic works in their own right.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Vlantis (14-09-2013)
Old 14-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

My god. I never knew he collabed with Anderson. Must get.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 14-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
A.M

Quote:
My god. I never knew he collabed with Anderson. Must get.
Yeah..it's something of it's own..not everyone's cup of tea, I guess..but I love it! There are some really great tunes on that album, but the one that stands out for me has to be "And When The Night Comes"..truly beautiful..the lyrics are so simple, yet so profound and say so much.

Mind you..it helps to be madly in love with someone..otherwise I guess it would just make you feel depressed.

------------------
Old 14-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #17
GKM
Granular Poster
Tropical Cairns

FWIW, Synthtopia just posted a new documentary on Vangelis...
Old 14-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKM View Post
FWIW, Synthtopia just posted a new documentary on Vangelis...
Thanks for the Heads-up on this, GKM..much appreciated, dude.

------------------
Old 14-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
To be honest, I think the man is too talented to produce a steaming pile like that and try to pass it off as art, which is why I'm inclined to go with those who think it was a "fuck you" to the label back then..an act he is hardly going to admit to in public.
It was the 1970s, man. There was plenty of "serious" academic electronic music that was, um, quite noodly in sound from a modern perspective. And I think there's a clue in the title: my guess was this was a serious attempt to style music in the form of the avant-garde electronic music dreamed up at places like IRCAM (located at the Centre Georges Pompidou... located in the Beaubourg district).

So if you really dig the sounds of Pierre Boulez and Iannis Xenakis or other musique concrete / avant garde electronic music, you'll possibly like Beaubourg.

(To me, it's noodly, but what do I know? Even John Lennon couldn't resist releasing an "experimental" project that also, to me, sounds rather noodly. It was a trend.)

Beaubourg to me fits in with some early Vangelis (notably some of the Aphrodite's Child stuff on 666 and the two "unofficially released" early free jazz jams (Hypothesis and The Dragon)) in that it shows he was well aware of some of the experimental trends back then. In modern times, artists that want to do a completely off-the-wall side project often will release it under another name... I guess that wasn't as typical back then.

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrodevo View Post
It was the 1970s, man. There was plenty of "serious" academic electronic music that was, um, quite noodly in sound from a modern perspective. And I think there's a clue in the title: my guess was this was a serious attempt to style music in the form of the avant-garde electronic music dreamed up at places like IRCAM (located at the Centre Georges Pompidou... located in the Beaubourg district).

So if you really dig the sounds of Pierre Boulez and Iannis Xenakis or other musique concrete / avant garde electronic music, you'll possibly like Beaubourg.

(To me, it's noodly, but what do I know? Even John Lennon couldn't resist releasing an "experimental" project that also, to me, sounds rather noodly. It was a trend.)

Beaubourg to me fits in with some early Vangelis (notably some of the Aphrodite's Child stuff on 666 and the two "unofficially released" early free jazz jams (Hypothesis and The Dragon)) in that it shows he was well aware of some of the experimental trends back then. In modern times, artists that want to do a completely off-the-wall side project often will release it under another name... I guess that wasn't as typical back then.
Yeah..I know what you mean..but I still think he did it out of spite to the label. He never attempted anything even remotely like it since..and the early stuff you mentioned is a far cry from Beaubourg..it was "early stuff" and the rawness of his style shines through. But Beaubourg is a different matter entirely..kind of stuck in there amid all the other works his done..certainly experimental..but not really the Vangelis we all know..and, I guess, expect.

The name really is a giveaway about the origins and influences behind it, but that doesn't change the fact it's a pile of digital dodo. And for thsoe reading this who have yet to have the "Beaubourg Experience"..just think back to the time you last heard somebody.(yourself even..) playing around with a synth. I mean playing around WITH..not playing anything..just pressing keys as they pushed buttons and / or twiddled knobs. Remember that? Well now let that memory run on for the best part of an hour and you'll be coming close to understanding what Beaubourg is like.

There's also the fact worth noting that a crap project is still sometimes referred to as an artist's Beaubourg..so I'm not alone it thinking it's total crap..and I like my ambient and experimental music..and even some musique concrete..but I never could warm to Beaubourg and, believe me, I've tried real hard.

But..yeah..you're spot on about the whole experimental thing..and the time that it was..now if only you could make me like it.

Advertisements

------------------