(video editing) How to make a spectrum analyzer?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 27-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
DJGarvis will become famous soon enoughDJGarvis will become famous soon enough
Hick Town, WA
MC Status: 110
(video editing) How to make a spectrum analyzer?

So I have seen a few videos on youtube, where there is a sound-reacting eq,does anyone know how to create these? I tried searching on google and didn't really find very much information. Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------
DJGarvis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108150
Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,390 Posts
Re: Audio-Reacting graphic equalizer? (How to make one?)

No idea what you mean - how does it react to the sound? What is it that you would want to achieve with it?

Now I look like a dummy-dumb. When this topic was created it made a lot less sense. I swear.

Last edited by Oatbag; 27-03-2013 at 10:13 PM..

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13020976

most of them are done with adobe after effects

if you have it, check tutorials about it
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

This dude offers tutorials and free templates for adobe after effects.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
Hick Town, WA

DUDE! That first one is what spiked my interest in the first place! I can't believe you linked it haha, thanks man!

------------------
Old 27-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC

Before launching these template files you need to have After Effects at first. Also you need some plugins such as "Optical Flares" and "Trapcode Particular". None of them is free.
If I were you, I wouldn't bother to make these visualizers. Personally, when I'm listening music on youtube I minimize that tab and mind my own business. I really don't care what's going on in videos with music, unless it's a real music video with moving pictures.

Last edited by ms_; 27-03-2013 at 07:58 AM..

------------------
Old 27-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
Hick Town, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Before launching these template files you need to have After Effects at first. Also you need some plugins such as "Optical Flares" and "Trapcode Particular". None of them is free.
If I were you, I wouldn't bother to make these visualizers. Personally, when I'm listening music on youtube I minimize that tab and mind my own business. I really don't care what's going on in videos with music, unless it's a real music video with moving pictures.
I have cs5.5 but the other two plugins, I don't have. I get the audio in the project and all is well, but the animation doesn't react to the sound, which I'm guessing is those two plug-ins I am missing.

------------------
Old 27-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
ms_
Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGarvis View Post
I have cs5.5 but the other two plugins, I don't have. I get the audio in the project and all is well, but the animation doesn't react to the sound, which I'm guessing is those two plug-ins I am missing.
It won't work without them. These plug-ins provide those visual effects.

------------------
Thanks to ms_
DJGarvis (25-04-2013)
Old 27-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Voyac
Soundwave Mangler
Voyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MC
Gdynia
MC Status: 3587899

I guess you have to do fft and then do a graphic responding to some frequencies...

I've seen some VJs doing that in processing and vvvv but i guess there are many tools for that job.
Voyac is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
DJGarvis
Analog Lurker
Hick Town, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
It won't work without them. These plug-ins provide those visual effects.
I figured as much, I gave up, Isn't really worth the hassle at this point. But It's nice to know for future reference If I decide to make an Audio React animation.

------------------
Old 27-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Play your track through Winamp, screen-capture the output of Milkdrop, job done. Could even pick some presets that you really like or lock it to one particular preset. Once recorded - use a video editor to line up the video & sound and add your own text / graphic overlays & animations.

Or be a boss and stop-motion your own audio reacting animation .

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
DJGarvis (31-03-2013)
Old 27-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

That's a damn fine idea scyn, of course, you could do the same with Windows Media Player, and then use something like Fraps to capture the EQ anims.

In fact, I just tried that here to see how it would work out..

Here we go..

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

And then I tried the Winamp + Milkdrop method instead..

------------------
Thanks to Thomas
PROton42 (29-03-2013)
Old 27-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

^^^ Yeah man - those visuals with some images overlaid like that is way more interesting than a few bars bouncing up and down. It becomes a bit more personal - a person can use their own images or wade through the millions of cc images available and pick things that tie in with the feel of the track.

Of course - building something in C4d with the mograph sound module is also pretty cool, but you gotta work on it to make it stick out from the crowd . Screen-capping a visualizer is definitely a good free & easy option.
Thanks to scyn
PROton42 (29-03-2013)
Old 27-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
^^^ Yeah man - those visuals with some images overlaid like that is way more interesting than a few bars bouncing up and down. It becomes a bit more personal - a person can use their own images or wade through the millions of cc images available and pick things that tie in with the feel of the track.

Of course - building something in C4d with the mograph sound module is also pretty cool, but you gotta work on it to make it stick out from the crowd . Screen-capping a visualizer is definitely a good free & easy option.
I'm a bit of a c4d n00b, to say the least. All I have toyed with in that application is the fur function because I thought it was cool. The comb and stuff.

Might have a second look at that app one of these days tho.

------------------
Old 27-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I'm a bit of a c4d n00b, to say the least. All I have toyed with in that application is the fur function because I thought it was cool. The comb and stuff.

Might have a second look at that app one of these days tho.
I'd love to spend a year digging deep into C4d. Xpresso plugin is really interesting it's almost like a modular design system where you can route the inputs and outputs to other modules & create some really interesting relationships between objects.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
But yeah - got no more available time slots for digging into c4d . Are you using it for anything in particular or just messing around / having fun?
Old 29-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
And then I tried the Winamp + Milkdrop method instead..
I just had a quick go at it too. Recorded two takes with different presets & brought one in at a different part of the song. Used a track from the IDMf netlabel.

Old 29-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand
Re: (video editing) How to make a spectrum analyzer?

^Not bad dude, the first half looks like how I imagine a female Predator pussy at work

I closed mine down minutes after I had posted it actually, I think all the pics made it too confusing.. But when you keep it all milkdrop'ed, then it looks alright and abstract yea.. Suitable for youtube

I usually make videos like this..

------------------
Old 29-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #19
scyn
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\

Seen that before - it's still awesome . Did you have the video first or did you find it after writing the tune? It's a cool idea though - grab some cc videos to suit & chop 'em up & edit etc...makes for an interesting watch.
Old 29-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Hngh, this thread got fucking sexy quick.

What is this C4D and now I need it.

Advertisements

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote