[27/11/12 UPDATE] IDMf Beat Tapes [General Info, Discussions and News Updates]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 4175236
[27/11/12 UPDATE] IDMf Beat Tapes [General Info, Discussions and News Updates]

News Update

Dubstep Beat Tape
We were ready to announce this over a week ago. Our album art and video was perfect and we were good to go but when Benwaa started mastering it he noticed 2 of the 8 tracks were overcompressed to shit and he couldn't do anything with it.
The album art has been edited and it's good, the tracks that remained are mastered and ready for us but we have a video that needs to be edited. Fimpson (the creator of it) is extremely busy so if he can't tackle it in the coming days, I may be looking for someone to receive the video files from him and edit it themselves.

This has pushed our already decided release date back a bit but hopefully we can get it out before the New Year.

IDM/Glitch/Braindance Beat Tape
We are just about to finish judging and creating a tracklist. Once this is complete we will get our artwork and send it over to gbsr to create the video while Benwaa masters the tracks.

Due to the delay of the Dubstep tape, this tape might be released two weeks after it which I suppose is sexy. Two releases in one month? Why not.

But no promises there, more news on it coming soon.

Ambient vs House
We are looking to decide what the next tape is gonna be and it's come down to Ambient or House. Both tapes are the next two tapes to go, I just need to know which is the first.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'll close this poll towards the end of the month before I fire up the next tape.

What's next?
Well after the next two beat tapes it'll be down to our final two: industrial and garage/future garage. Once we start nearing those times we should get discussing about them to see which goes first.

We also need to have a downtempo/chillout tape and I think we should begin discussing it and seeing who would like to take charge with it. Perhaps it can be worked in or around the industrial and garage/future garage tapes but that depends on how much heat it picks up.

Once those are done, we have finished all of our planned beat tapes. What do we do next? Make a few specialty tapes or restart the whole thing? That's something interesting to discuss.

Breakcore
The breakcore tape hasn't received many submissions so we're extending it for another month. If we don't have enough submissions for it by then, we can it (but I doubt that'll be the case). Don't fret, the next beat tape submission period will start at the start of December.

I'm not sure whether I am gonna extend all the beat tape submission periods to 2 months from here on, House and Ambient surely won't need it but beat tapes like Industrial and Future Garage probably will. I might fire both of those up alongside of each other for a two month period after House goes (Ambient is probably gonna win from the look of that poll).

How this works

After some experience with the three beat tapes so far, I figure I should outline how this whole process works.

Like many of you know, the submission period lasts a whole month. During this time we should be figuring out what the album art and name is along with who will be able to do the promo video for it. From now one I'd like to keep these discussions in the submissions thread cuz I don't want to have new threads all over the fuckin' place. Once submissions period closes the tracks need to be judged which is done by the two genre managers and myself. If there is only one genre manager, another judge will be appointed. Once tracks are judged they are sent to Benwaa for mastering and the video maker. The release date is not determined yet but is based on how long mastering/making the video takes. Once both are done, it's sent out for promo and announced officially too everyone.

Now with judging, mastering and the video, the time is not set. We all have lives but we try to get it done as quick as possible so if there is a delay everyone needs to understand that that's the reason why.

Submission Guidelines/Specific-Genre Rules

There are general rules that each beat tapes shares in terms of submitting tracks and they are as follow:

Quote:
-all tracks must be shared privately to the sublabel's dropbox here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

tracks are not to be shared publicly and participants will be disqualified if so. It is also important that when you share to the dropbox add (insert genre managers) because they are in charge of overseeing this release with me.

-all tracks must be submitted in WAV format minimum 44100/24bit sample rate.

-minimum -3db headroom with nothing on the master bus.

-label your track filename with your artist name, forum username and track title. Please do that in this order because it is a hassle to sort through a bunch of randomly named tunes. Do it like so:
Artist Name/Forum Name - Song Name

-include a contact e-mail in the track information, along with a clear indication that it is for the breakcore beat tape.
For the most part you guys are really good with submitting these tracks but there are a few that fuck this up. Also, don't put anything on the master bus! We've had an issue with this and it caused a serious delay with one of the beat tapes.

There are always going to be side rules for each release such as time limits, styles, etc. but those are changed up for each release.

Last edited by Kong; 11-28-2012 at 01:05 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393
Re: [*BIG UPDATE INSIDE*] IDMf Beat Tapes [General Info, Discussions and News Updates

Thanks for the updates home slice.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
fimpson
fimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MC
Reasonably far away.
MC Status: 26773877
Re: [*BIG UPDATE INSIDE*] IDMf Beat Tapes [General Info, Discussions and News Updates

ahh man this is excellent. Thanks for putting the whole thing into one neat sexy little package - hopefully this will stop future fuckups from happening

------------------
Download my free 10 min EP from Brisbane netlabel Ender Beats

http://roppongi-sky.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/roppongi-sky
fimpson is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Kong
Kong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MCKong is a savage MC
Toronto

i'm wondering what people wanna do after we finish this: start a new round of beat tapes or do a few specialty ones?

here are a few ideas (and others) have had:

juke/footwork - this one would be led by fimpson, he's been pretty keen on doing one.
open genre 8bit - i think it'd be cool to do a buncha variations of 8bit music like 8bit dnb, dubstep, and (obviously) hip hop.
lounge/chillout - this is separate from the downtempo/chillout tape. i used to listen to a lot of this kinda stuff years ago until i realized it wasn't too cool but it's a nice way to get some jazzy chords in and stuff. but maybe this can be combined with the downtempo one.

speaking of the downtempo/chillout tape.. anyone down to manage this? if no one steps up to the plate i'll handle it but i would like to be free incase someone likes my 8bit idea

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Kong
fimpson (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514030
Thanked 6,462 Times in 4,619 Posts

I think not doing a DnB/Jungle/Breaks tape would be ignoring a major section of dance music. Also, not doing Techno seems like blasphemy. As I mentioned to you at one point Kong, I think doing a "Dub Mixes" tape of previous beat tape tunes would awesome--dub as in Dub Reggae style remixes.

Open genre 8-Bit sounds killer to me.

Last edited by relic; 11-14-2012 at 04:26 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Kong
Toronto

blam there are those too. i thought breakcore would cover the DnB side of things but i guess not.. haha

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
blam there are those too. i thought breakcore would cover the DnB side of things but i guess not.. haha
To me Breakcore is Breakcore and Jungle/DnB/Breaks are a whole other genre, though certainly similar. If no one wants to do it, it doesn't really matter...but I'm an Jungle DnB head...so thought I'd better stand up for what got me into this production game ;p

Also...edited my post above.

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

I would definitely contribute to a dub remixes (awesome idea) and an 8 bit eletronica tape. Thanks for the updates Kong.
SpinVector is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

open genre 8bit would be seriously killer indeed

also while on that subject: some 16bit sega genesis madness would be cool as well
ndwella is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
Kong
Toronto

my apologies relic, i didn't mean to lop breakcore and dnb into one thing.. there were a few breakcore tunes i heard that sounded just like DnB so i made the assumption haha

i remember you mentioned the dub remixes, so there's one idea. i have a hard time seeing how it works but i trust ya. i know that oldschool dub stuff usually took instrumentals of songs (that had vocals) and just messed with those but that's about all i know.

------------------
Kong is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
my apologies relic, i didn't mean to lop breakcore and dnb into one thing.. there were a few breakcore tunes i heard that sounded just like DnB so i made the assumption haha

i remember you mentioned the dub remixes, so there's one idea. i have a hard time seeing how it works but i trust ya. i know that oldschool dub stuff usually took instrumentals of songs (that had vocals) and just messed with those but that's about all i know.
Yea. No worries man. Breakcore and DnB are kissing cousins so to speak.

Dub mixes are basically what you said, they were/are popular in house music. I imagine what we'd do for the dub remixes tape is take the stems from the tunes and do reverb drenched, spacey, delayed chilled out remixes. I'd volunteer to run it...and would def. get together some serious resources to help people get the techniques down.

Regardless, even just doing an open genre remix tape of songs from previous tapes would be cool. Assuming we could get stems from people.

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

If we did do a remix tape, what would the process be? Would it be a big collection of remix packs, or would we ask people individually for a pack?
SpinVector is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #13
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah
MC Status: 45963048
Thanked 1,144 Times in 880 Posts

yea the dnb/jungle tape would be more like spor, and photek

more bass and repetition oriented

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
relic (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinVector View Post
If we did do a remix tape, what would the process be? Would it be a big collection of remix packs, or would we ask people individually for a pack?
My vote would be to contact all previous beat tape artists (we should have their email addresses and forum names) and ask them if they still have their stems and if they wanted to submit them to be remixed. The artist could decide how to release their stems if they decide to participate.

I guess we could even get really post modern and let people make collages out of pieces parts of multiple tracks. And just credit things accordingly.

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
yea the dnb/jungle tape would be more like spor, and photek

more bass and repetition oriented
Two of my favorites. And yea, basically : )

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #16
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
blah

are techno and house the same tape or two different ones, i'm pretty sure brn20 is going a techno/house tape

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
Br/ainfu+ked
fin.....
blah

"genre-less comp" or is that the open genre comp

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Techno and House are totally different IMO...besides the fact they are both four to the floor. Techno is really a-melodic and is filled with strange synth sounds etc while House feels more like a continuation of Disco in that it features female vocals and organic(ish) instrumentals.

------------------
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5742393

This is probably off the wall and out of place but what if we did a "open genre" make music to some random video clip tape? Like a soundtrack thing.

I'm also for some of the other tape ideas also. Like the 8-bit would be fun to attempt.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
fimpson
fimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MCfimpson is a savage MC
Reasonably far away.
MC Status: 26773877

hey guys, I'd just like to say I really like the idea of a juke/footwork tape....

j/k 8-bit would be hella cool as well as the dub reggae remixes tape.

Advertisements

------------------
Download my free 10 min EP from Brisbane netlabel Ender Beats

http://roppongi-sky.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/roppongi-sky
fimpson is offline   Thanks
Closed Thread