BB63 Beat Battle 63
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 19-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69882669
BB63 Beat Battle 63

BB63: Let's Go 8bit

It is 1981, a new 'home computer' company has produced a new model: the MIDSHIPMAN-63.

It has a revolutionary 380x280px 7 colour graphics system, and a two-channel 'stereo' sound chip that boasts four waveforms, FM, RM and AM effects, a whopping 3-voice polyphony, and an analogue filter!

You have been tasked with creating the soundtrack for one of the very first games. The success or failure of the entire platform rests on your shoulders.

THE RULES
1: You must only ever have a maximum of three voices/notes playing at any one time.

This means the most you can ever have is at any one time is:
1 waveform with a polyphony of 3
OR
1 waveform with a polyphony of 2 PLUS one waveform with a polyphony of 1
OR
3 waveforms each with a polyphony of 1

2: There are no effects like reverbs, compressors, phasers, chorus or other special effects built into the MIDSHIPMAN-63, just a single filter which cannot behave polyphonically (it can be accessed by either 0, 1, 2 or 3 voices at any one time). Automating, enveloping and LFOing the filter is fine, and encouraged. You can change the filter mode (LP/HP/BP/BR) too.

Use of LFOs to control pitch, pan and amplitude is allowed, but if you want to have, say, a phasing square wave, then that costs two of your three available notes (because you literally have to play two square waves out of phase). Similarly, if you want to use ring modulation, you literally have to use up your available voice channels as modulators and carriers. If you want a delay or reverb-like effect you'd have to do that manually, and in strict accordance with rule #1.

3: Due to the unique memory constraints of the MIDSHIPMAN63, only 5 minutes of audio time is available for you to use, and the developers want you to use that total time to provide multiple themes suitable for the title screen, loading screen, options menu, main gameplay, end of level boss, game over, and scoreboard. They're quite understanding bosses and don't expect miracles, but do your best.

THE SAMPLES

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Saturday.
Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day Wednesday.

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day Friday.

The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day Saturday to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

THE TIMES HAVE CHANGED PEOPLE AND CHANGE IS GOOD!

All times are UTC.

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Advertisements

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
lolirl (21-08-2017)
Old 19-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
manman
Regular Freak
manman is just really nicemanman is just really nicemanman is just really nicemanman is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Re: BB63 Beat Battle 63

sorry, need your help here. we have to make 7 little tracks?

edit: there's also an "sfk" file in. I assume it's the filter effect?

edit: how do I make these files sound in fruity loops?

Last edited by manman; 19-08-2017 at 09:35 PM..
manman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to manman
brb (19-08-2017)
Old 19-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #3
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

Whoops, didn't realise I'd left that shit in, pay it no heed, it's just a soundforge artefact.

I've removed it now.

Yes, the goal is 7 (or more!) little tracks that only use up maximum 5 minutes of total time. You can do it all within the same file, or as separate files, as long as the total running time of all of it does not exceed 5 minutes.

I needed a way to impose some sort of 'memory' limit, and while a simple long tune could use the same memory as a complex short tune, it would just be fantastically overcomplicated to codify that as a rule.

Best get all your questions in quick, folks, I'm not going to be here for the next few days or so!

------------------
Old 19-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
manman
Regular Freak
manman is just really nicemanman is just really nicemanman is just really nicemanman is just really nice
MC Status: 360

any tips on how to make these samples sound in fruity loops?

edit: it worked.

Last edited by manman; 19-08-2017 at 10:34 PM..
manman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
brb
Commie SJW

Turn the loop mode on, fuck about with the envelopes (redundant answer), but remember the filter rule!

Oh, and feel free to edit new wavs built from cycles of the 4 different waveforms. The Midshipman-63 can wavetable.

------------------
Old 20-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7410

so drums are included in the polyphony restriction i assume?

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
brb
Commie SJW

Everything you do is restricted by the polyphony limit.

So if you're resampling/editing the wavs, you need to make sure nothing overlaps. Two simultaneous waves means you only have one left to work with at any one time. Might be worth researching how to make a kick/bass and snare/bass on a C64/gameboy/whatever (pitch enveloping and wavetabling).

....Aaaaand that's the last question I can answer for the next few days at least, unless I get bored in my hotel room one day and set up a new idmf account on my non-working phone. Good luck, everyone!

------------------
Old 24-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 10210

These rules are cool! I'm done three of the things and I started a few hours ago, just gotta do four moooore

Edit: immediately after posting that, I got pretty strong deja vu of listening to my game over track and being on this site. Neat.

------------------

Lol wut happened to the chatbox
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tsachi
brb (25-08-2017)
Old 25-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
brb
Commie SJW

Glad you like it Tsachi.

I'm going to start mine soon. Anyone else working on this?

------------------
Old 26-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Tsachi
i don't understand
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC

Tried to find the old "make a video game" thread to link it here but couldn't find it, is it gone forever?

------------------

Old 29-08-2017, 04:39 AM   #11
brb
Commie SJW

Clocking in at just under 5 minutes and with all rules very strictly adhered to (unless I fucked up somewhere), I present for your enjoyment the raw soundtrack to brbsoft's forgotten classic 'Skateboard King Vs The Outer Space Weirdos'.

Track list:
0:00 - title screen
1:15 - loading
2:01 - options menu
2:16 - main gameplay
3:17 - end of level boss
3:47 - game over
3:55 - victory
3:59 - high score (with apologies to Rob Hubbard)

All but the game over and victory themes are loopable, in theory.

------------------
Thanks to brb
7asid (29-08-2017)
Old 30-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
brb
Commie SJW

Not long to go, peoples. Please don't let me be the only contestant.

------------------
Old 31-08-2017, 01:01 AM   #13
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11474554

no subs

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #14
Tsachi
i don't understand

Due to budget cuts, only four songs are included in the video game "Donkus V", a flying robot adventure shoot-em' up stuck in development hell for an unprecedented one-day hiatus.

------------------

Old 31-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
brb
Commie SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsachi View Post
Due to budget cuts, only four songs are included in the video game "Donkus V", a flying robot adventure shoot-em' up stuck in development hell for an unprecedented one-day hiatus.
Beautiful stuff! The last track reminds me of Feet Foxes' 'He Doesn't Know Why', in a very positive and good way indeed. Overall, I love the playful simplicity and all the clever tricks too. Even the dubstep bit.

So er, yeah. Deadline extension? What do we do?

------------------
Old 31-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175310
Thanked 3,506 Times in 2,618 Posts

Count me out of this one..sorry to say. Think I have a premature bald-spot from pulling my hair. How the hell can something apparently so simple be so fecking hard?

I think this was just a little bit too much of a challenge for me, tbh..but that's just me and not a negative reflection on the theme choice or the rules.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #17
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

I was honestly gone the whole week last week and it seemed too much to try in 24 hours.

Next battle?

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
A.M (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 AM   #18
brb
Commie SJW

I nominate Tsachi to sort it out, because my competitions are shambolic, and reasons. He also gets my vote, obviously. ;~)

------------------
Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 AM   #19
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I vote @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Cool sounds.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 02-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #20
Tsachi
i don't understand

I vote for me too.

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to Tsachi
brb (03-09-2017)