Best of BB compilation - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 21-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #61
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478454
Re: Best of BB compilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Honestly? Not a great deal, I'll apologise firstly, you're right, it's been a month now, sorry dudes.
I've been trying to think of the best way to move this along, but I keep stumbling at the point where I remember again that all of this music has already been available for some time.
I'd like to see some exclusive material come out of this group for a release, without compromising the regular running of the BB as an open to all project in the meantime.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for the bump/kick up the arse Creepr.
Do you think it'd be good to have new material?

Advertisements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #62
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319

If you've not heard it before, then it's new to you.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
lolirl (21-06-2017)
Old 22-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #63
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

I've not heard any BB track ever but would def listen to a compilation album of the best, in fact I'm dead keen too. Why not put the winners of 1-20 as an album, and then vol 2 with 21-40 and so on, put them on bandcamp and or spotify etc. I'd be keen as shit to stumble upon that. Would be really good to see something added to the idmf label releases again too.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #64
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
If you've not heard it before, then it's new to you.
Are we making new material? "Best of Beat Battle" wouldn't really be new material. If we're to have a comp with new stuff (which I'm not saying would be bad), would it be like a super beat battle then? Would it be done as other beat battles, with rules on composition, samples provided, etc? Would we select winners, or would it be open (I think some quality control would be suitable)? I think it wouldn't be completely out of order if people wanted to brush up old tracks, of course that might clash with whatever rules we set in place.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 22-06-2017, 11:31 PM   #65
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Are we making new material? "Best of Beat Battle" wouldn't really be new material.
I'm trying to think of the last 'best of' compilation which included old shit. I can't think of any. Aren't best of compilations supposed to be a representation of the dope shit you're doing RIGHT NOW and not a representation of the best of your body of work before now?

Shit I can't keep up with all of these new fangled "concept" albums...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #66
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm trying to think of the last 'best of' compilation which included old shit. I can't think of any. Aren't best of compilations supposed to be a representation of the dope shit you're doing RIGHT NOW and not a representation of the best of your body of work before now?

I haven't been keeping up with IDMf releases, but "best of" usually include material that's been done, the "best" of the material of the material that has been released already.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Jaded (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 12:03 AM   #67
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107950
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:

I thought of best of as kind of a Greatest Hits compilation. Like, the actual best of the past Battles.

Forgive me if I missed any subtle sarcasm or whatever, I'm not on my A game right now. I've been pretty quiet about this one because I only participated in one battle I think unless I did one ages ago. Regardless, my submission was pretty awful.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 12:05 AM   #68
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Are we making new material? "Best of Beat Battle" wouldn't really be new material. If we're to have a comp with new stuff (which I'm not saying would be bad), would it be like a super beat battle then? Would it be done as other beat battles, with rules on composition, samples provided, etc? Would we select winners, or would it be open (I think some quality control would be suitable)? I think it wouldn't be completely out of order if people wanted to brush up old tracks, of course that might clash with whatever rules we set in place.
I see nothing wrong with putting out old stuff at all. As I said before, I'd prefer all the selected tracks to be run through the same desk, with adjustments made to make them sound as cohesive as possible. If the artist wants to tinker with levels, or fix a shitty fade or whatnot, I would be okay with that, but it would seem dishonest if there were significant rewrites or changes.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
A way of making the old seem fresh (if that's an actual problem) could be to feature a mix/mashup, and present the individual unmashed (but turd-polished) tracks as bonus content. You could stretch out that idea to feature different genres or whatever. Think Stars On 45, but with tracks and artists that no fucker has ever heard of.

------------------
Old 23-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #69
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Forgive me if I missed any subtle sarcasm or whatever, I'm not on my A game right now.
Yeah I was tooootally being sarcastic

Just lol'ing at the idea of a best of compilation comprised of new material
Old 23-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #70
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107950
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Yeah I was tooootally being sarcastic

Just lol'ing at the idea of a best of compilation comprised of new material
bleh

I'm too old for this shiz?

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #71
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
bleh

I'm too old for this shiz?
Dude you're so old you use FaceBook.
Thanks to Jaded
Oatbag (23-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #72
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

Don't get tied down to the 'Best of' title guys, that's not important at all and it could quite easily be called 'awesome new shit' if we want to.

Also, with a bit of jiggery-pokery I was thinking you could probably have a few round of BB's behind closed doors and then pick the best of that stuff.

There are ways of doing things if we take a flexible approach.
But I don't see much point in me putting a lot of time into helping you guys to 'polish turds' when you really could do all that for yourselves if you thought it was worth the effort.

It doesn't help much when the main BB group users all have different ideas about how this should go.
At the moment someone's going to be unhappy with whatever decision I make.
Perhaps you guys should just put this together and come back to us when you're happy that you have something cohesive for a release?

Again, don't push for a shitty rush-job. I'd prefer it take longer but be a better release.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #73
brb
Commie SJW

Quote:
Don't get tied down to the 'Best of' title guys, that's not important at all and it could quite easily be called 'awesome new shit' if we want to.
I won't get tied down to the premise for joining the conversation we're having. Wait, what?

Quote:
Also, with a bit of jiggery-pokery I was thinking you could probably have a few round of BB's behind closed doors and then pick the best of that stuff.
So we shouldn't get tied down to the 'BB' title either. Feels like there's a weird bait and switch going on here. But why?

Quote:
There are ways of doing things if we take a flexible approach.
But I don't see much point in me putting a lot of time into helping you guys to 'polish turds' when you really could do all that for yourselves if you thought it was worth the effort.
I thought it was worth the effort to do a fun thing (participate in the BBs). If someone wants to come along and exploit that to promote the BBs and the site, that's great.

Polishing turds, in the sense that I used it, means having the compiled songs' volumes and tones adjusted by someone who knows their onions. If it's worth the effort to make a compilation, that's the bare minimum expectation, IMO. Otherwise just dump all the BB winners into a folder shared on slsk and say job done.

Quote:
It doesn't help much when the main BB group users all have different ideas about how this should go.
At the moment someone's going to be unhappy with whatever decision I make.
Perhaps you guys should just put this together and come back to us when you're happy that you have something cohesive for a release?
...It just seems odd to ask for ideas for a specific project, then react badly when they're not all the same, and then change the project into something completely different, then react badly when people are confused by that change.

Quote:
Again, don't push for a shitty rush-job. I'd prefer it take longer but be a better release.
Agreed. Indeed, this is the whole point about turd polishing.

Quote:
You guys have been hard at it for a while now.
Does anyone have any interest in compiling a best of Beat Battles into a release?
Give us a shout if you do.
Also, let's get some ideas on tracks you think should be included.
I guess we should start with round winners?
So what we need is:
  • a finalised list of candidate tracks (either go by winners, or have the idmf management QC division make their selection, then whittle down based on availability of WAVs, etc)
  • a pencil/photoshop
  • one or two (or three or four) people with:
  • some decent gear,
  • decent ears,
  • knowledge of what an album sounds like,
  • potentiometer frobnostication skills.
All I can offer is my time in my nice headphones. I could do a headphone/Ford Fiesta mix and put my trust in a Har-Bal preset. Now, that might be better than the slsk folder option, but I bet we could do better.

------------------
Thanks to brb
lolirl (24-06-2017)
Old 23-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #74
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
So we shouldn't get tied down to the 'BB' title either. Feels like there's a weird bait and switch going on here. But why?
Nah, don't read too much into stuff. Its just leaving as much control as possible to those that have been the real people behind the BBs and offering to support and put out a release.

If we spend too much time picking apart each others' posts the only thing guaranteed is that nothing will happen and that would be a shame.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #75
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

, don't take offense to what lolirl's saying, he's just trying to help facilitate the process, and I'd rather have his help than to try to take it all on ourselves. I have no problem with anyone who wants to help release a BB comp.

With that said, I would be open to doing a collection of new material. Maybe we could do as I sorta suggested about a "super beat battle" of sorts, just like with the 60Hz Underground comp. Just give a month or two to put together some solid tracks, and have them all collected as a release. One highlight of that I think would be to feature artists that haven't won any rounds (and yes... I am thinking of my own tracks ). In this manner it'd be more of a highlight comp, spotlighting the beat battles in its own "main event" sort of release.

Brb, your concerns about polishing tracks, mastering, namely, I think we can worry about a little later. I'd like to firstly get a selection of tracks to release, before we worry about that.

, one question tho, is your main concern about releasing older tracks that they have been publicly available for so long?

In any case, I'd be down for a super beat battle where it's more of an open event, where we can select many tracks as submissions. Also, we could sort of collectively come up with the rule set and samples to do the beat battle with, and just have at it.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 23-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #76
brb
Commie SJW

I'm not taking offence, I'm just expressing confusion and befuddlement in a cunty way.

Anyway. Send me some disco samples for BB59! It needs guitars, bass guitars, drum loops, tambourines, organs, brass, string, that sort of thing.

------------------
Old 24-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #77
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Maybe it should be Beat Battle Royale. Only previous winners can enter and then it's a fight to the death or something...
Old 24-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #78
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Simplest way is to get what's available from the existing. Mod select the tracks and get a release out there x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #79
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

This looks to be going nowhere fast. I'm with MFXxx, this really shouldn't be hard, someone pick some tracks and put it out there.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #80
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

It shouldn't be hard, I agree, but simplest isn't necessarily best either.
We need to make sure it's going to be worth putting out otherwise why bother?

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote