Pressed to the Edge: Why vinyl hype is destroying the record
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 28-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294546
Pressed to the Edge: Why vinyl hype is destroying the record

Interesting article: http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pr...he-edge-vinyl/

Advertisements

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740955
Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,627 Posts
Re: Pressed to the Edge: Why vinyl hype is destroying the record

I knew all those Taylor Swift LPs I see in every trendy store were up to no good.

Standing there, demanding attention, taking up valuable space.

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
Orchidaceae (28-05-2015)
Old 28-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294546

All those reissues of classics are a big part of the problem as well I think.
Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidaceae View Post
All those reissues of classics are a big part of the problem as well I think.
The thing is though a lot of people who grew up the music on those reissues are old enough now that their kids are gone and they have stupid amounts of disposable income and are possibly trying to relive their younger years. I can't blame the record companies for trying to sell units that way. Makes sense. Too bad its fucking shit up.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Kvlt O))) (29-05-2015)
Old 28-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #5
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

The problem really is not the record companies, but the monopoly status in parts of the production chain. Monopolies have no need for efficiency if demand continues, and thus no need to innovate or invest further. They can simply keep reaping monopoly profits until a competitor shows up.

In other words: Vinyl resurgence is probably a fad, and no new parties are willing to take the risk of investing in expensive machinery or research for such due to the life expectancy of the fad, and the old parties are happy in their bottlenecking profit heaven.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
Triton64 (31-05-2015)
Old 29-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31460

I can't believe there are large businesses pulling underhanded tactics to capitalize on a current trend.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903359
Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,108 Posts

If you're truly a supporter of vinyl, the current state of affairs is great because now they're producing records that will actually get played... If the author/mag could get over itself it'd almost be interesting.

[edit] oh it's from Das Filter... That's why it's so smug.

Last edited by Jaded; 31-05-2015 at 02:01 AM..
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

For the record, I think the idea of owning vinyl has become a nostalgic matter for casual listeners and not a whole lot more.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Jaded (31-05-2015)
Old 31-05-2015, 04:46 AM   #9
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
For the record, .
Nice.

------------------
Old 02-06-2015, 03:00 AM   #10
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
For the record, I think the idea of owning vinyl has become a nostalgic matter for casual listeners and not a whole lot more.
The thing that gets me is that I have all of these friends who have or are moving to Berlin. It's like the thing to do if you're from Melbourne now. And they all end up being the same carbon copies of themselves spouting shit like all of the cunts in these articles. And it's stupid. Reading this article in a contemporary context, it's impossible to care for a bunch of pig-headed cunts who on the one hand will spout some shit about global warming and then on the other hand complain that they can't contribute to the problem because some big evil corporation has taken their place.

That's the main reason I stopped buying new vinyl: global warming. I simply couldn't justify purchasing an incredibly wasteful product like a vinyl record. The amount of energy required to produce, manufacture and distribute every record I own is atrocious. And how anyone who participates in the global electronic music scene, where a majority of people would profess to be "concerned with the environment" can justify the production of vinyl is beyond me?

I mean, for fuck's sake. You don't need to keep raping the earth just to hide the fact that your production skills aren't very good. I mean dude, just borrow Hans' vintage tape machine and adjust your sidefringe while he runs your "original" track through it.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
Jaded
Total mad cunt

And I mean, even reading this article, it's atrocious what these cunts are justifying. Just for the lacquer, you have to ship that from either the US or Japan. It's going to go to Holland or Germany. But the materials used in the lacquer production were probably shipped to US/Japan from somewhere else. That's just one of the materials being used, excluding the energy required in the actual production process. Hugely wasteful, and unjustifiable just so people can hide their lack of talent behind the vinyl sound...
Old 02-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #12
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt

Whew. Just checked the few records I have and they are all bargain basement 2nd hand types.

Advertisements

------------------