Album release help
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
Wave Dweller
Analog Lurker
Wave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MC
MC Status: 1247284
Album release help

Hi all.

I'm about to release an album myself, just getting the final track list sorted.

I was wondering whether to include some old tracks on there? I have some very strong tracks previously released on EPs with various labels. Those labels don't keep in contact anymore, so for all I know they could be selling downloads without me getting my cut. This also puts me off promoting these EP tracks, which is a shame because they are some of my best.

So, do I resurrect those tracks from the dead and save them from obscurity, or should I move on and only include new material on my album?

Advertisements

------------------
Wave Dweller is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181010
Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Album release help

In a perfect world you're free to do whatever you like..it's all your own work after all. In reality though, that's not always the case.

First up..did you sign contracts with these labels you mention? If so, then there is probably a clause in there about releasing these tracks for a certain amount of time..and this has nothing to do with if they keep in contact with you or not during that time.

If that time period has expired, then..yeah..you can re-release them if you want, as you won't be shooting yourself in the foot by having out there on multiple releases at the same time. It's not like you're a house-hold name, where fans will buy anything and everything you put out..well, not yet anyway.

And that brings me to my last point..do you really want to "greatest hits" album already? If not, then resit the urge to use these old tracks..otherwise you run the risk of your new album being viewed as just that..a GH release.

Now, with the common sense advice done and dusted..I just want to add I think you should do whatever you feel is right for you. If it were me, I'd go back and rework those tracks..change them a little in some way, so as to freshen them up before putting them out there on my new album..that is, as long as there isn't going to be issues with past contracts or anything.

Sorry this isn't more helpful..but it might help you focus on what you will do in the end.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

If you like them (read as: if they're good) keep them.

Maybe you should put them at the end of the album like a lot of artists do, kind of like a free courtesy to those who buy / stream the album. If they sound less than perfect, at least you'll be presenting them in the right context.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Wave Dweller
Analog Lurker
Wave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MCWave Dweller is a savage MC
MC Status: 1247284

Great responses, cheers guys for the awesome help

------------------
Wave Dweller is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181010
Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Dweller View Post
Great responses, cheers guys for the awesome help

No worries, WD..hope it all goes well for ya, mate.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
lndmilla
Regular Freak
lndmilla is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I think it is hard to release albums by yourself, as you need much money. I suggest you to upload some of your songs on the website first. If you get popularity, I think some companies will call you to help you release your album. And many young people don't want to buy albums now. Like me, I can download music from Itunes and buy concert tickets from en.damai.cn.
lndmilla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537930
Thanked 6,940 Times in 4,939 Posts

I would include those old EPs as a "bonus disc"...let the new album be itself...if you are doing the Bandcamp route maybe giveaway the old stuff for free and charge for the new release...give people the free taster...

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Kvlt O))) (09-07-2015)