Promoting non dance/club focussed electronic music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
VoidPointer
Radial Developer
VoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really niceVoidPointer is just really nice
Hamburg
MC Status: 360
Promoting non dance/club focussed electronic music

Hi there...

I'm wondering, what are you guys doing that are working on not so much club/dance oriented stuff doing to spread the word about their work? Especially in the very very early stages where basically no-one knows your stuff except friends or other musicians who you explicitly ask to listen to it.
Talking to and meeting with other producers/musicians both on-line and in local meetups is great for getting (technical) feedback, or inspiration but they are not a good vehicle for spreading the word as they already busy with their own stuff.
Dance/club oriented producers have DJ-ing as a good way of exposing new people to their stuff (although on the downside, most clubbers don't know/care what they're listing too as long as the drops keep hitting :-)

So how do you get into people's headphones?

Advertisements

------------------
VoidPointer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Re: Promoting non dance/club focussed electronic music

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidPointer View Post
Hi there...

I'm wondering, what are you guys doing that are working on not so much club/dance oriented stuff doing to spread the word about their work? Especially in the very very early stages where basically no-one knows your stuff except friends or other musicians who you explicitly ask to listen to it.
Talking to and meeting with other producers/musicians both on-line and in local meetups is great for getting (technical) feedback, or inspiration but they are not a good vehicle for spreading the word as they already busy with their own stuff.
Dance/club oriented producers have DJ-ing as a good way of exposing new people to their stuff (although on the downside, most clubbers don't know/care what they're listing too as long as the drops keep hitting :-)

So how do you get into people's headphones?
you don't.
literally electronic music that is non-dance most of the time is ignored when you are a starter. they don't want to pay attention to your music, it doesn't matter how good you are. they all listen your music waiting a buildup and a drop. all producers i know that do something very unique and not-dancy, started with something dancy, then acquired their own sound and got some followers, but also lost lots of listeners that only came for the hard hitting drops. unless you're very good at what you do, you'll not get much attention, and it will take YEARS to get some. recently i discovered some guys on Soundcloud, their songs have like 2 likes, all not-dancy electronic music. Good production, good mixing/mastering, everything on point. but no one gave a shit. IDM is a good exemple of people who care about the artists work more than the vibe of the track in the dancefloor. 90% of listeners now want Cheesy chorus, easy to memorize and sing along, music that will make them jump or twerk, or headbang a bit (yes. in electronic music). places like this forum and some others are a good way to get some attention for your music if its not 4-to-the-floor-oriented music. i know the guys here have picky tastes but if you're good they'll recognize it. just forget making money out of it.
ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538330
Thanked 6,948 Times in 4,942 Posts

I think YouTube is potentially still a viable means of finding non-musician fans...I often type in random stuff like "live dub techno" and spend an hour listening to all the relevant videos.

the few channels I follow have a new video at least once a month.

it has always been true that the majority of people are going to go for the more accessible music...that challenge isn't new imo

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
Stonelands
Granular Poster
Stonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really nice
MC Status: 410

I don't make dance music and only got into electronic music at the start of the year. I only have 496 followers which I know is hardly anything but it is still not too bad given I haven't been going that long and I see plenty of others with less. I think you really have to be willing to share your tracks a lot and be patient about not getting nearly as much of an immediate return from it as someone making EDM would.

On the other hand, you have less of a chance of sounding almost identical to a billion other producers and might be able to produce more unique music even within non-EDM electronic music.

At the end of the day you just need to be tenacious.
Stonelands is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonelands View Post
I don't make dance music and only got into electronic music at the start of the year. I only have 496 followers which I know is hardly anything but it is still not too bad given I haven't been going that long and I see plenty of others with less. I think you really have to be willing to share your tracks a lot and be patient about not getting nearly as much of an immediate return from it as someone making EDM would.

On the other hand, you have less of a chance of sounding almost identical to a billion other producers and might be able to produce more unique music even within non-EDM electronic music.

At the end of the day you just need to be tenacious.
what are your stats like on SC? how many people do you follow, how many plays do you get in a day after you post a new track, how many comments will you get & downloads in the first week of your new posted track?

Advertisements

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote