Will SoundCloud Survive? [FACT] - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #41
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387699
Thanked 5,074 Times in 3,309 Posts
Re: Will SoundCloud Survive? [FACT]

Decided I'd test hearthis.at's premium account for unlimited pretty much everything. Soundcloud no longer offer a service I actually like but it was difficult to weigh this up against the ease of embedding offered pretty much everywhere.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #42
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Decided I'd test hearthis.at's premium account for unlimited pretty much everything. Soundcloud no longer offer a service I actually like but it was difficult to weigh this up against the ease of embedding offered pretty much everywhere.
So hearthis is the better alternative to SC? There seems to be a lot of similarities in terms of design, hearthis. I think I may give this an attempt just to see whats up.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #43
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387699
Thanked 5,074 Times in 3,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
So hearthis is the better alternative to SC? There seems to be a lot of similarities in terms of design, hearthis. I think I may give this an attempt just to see whats up.
Its too early for me to say. One of the main features of a premium account is that you can get full quality streaming instead of 128k. I held off on hearthis for a long time as initially at launch it seemed problematic and anyway I still had an SC sub active.

SC got themselves into trouble by being greedy and by screwing up their website design/layout/interface/etc. I have no ill will towards them even though I've been angry at their design choices at times when they break features I use.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #44
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

The thing I liked about soundcloud was that I could post a track to 75 different groups, and back then people would listen to groups and I got plays and even label solicitations from this. Then in late 2012, the new soundcloud didn't feature groups at all, and then it never really recovered. Every now and then I try to post to groups, but I get maybe one or two plays per week from them so definitely not worth the effort.

Is hearthis got some similar group feature where people actually listen??
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to saneliv
Alert (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #45
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Groups were awesome when people cared about them.

It seems like there was an elusive web 3.0 that phased out groups entirely. Remember years ago when IDMF had active groups? Paradigm shift.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #46
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390479

Quote:
Originally Posted by saneliv View Post
The thing I liked about soundcloud was that I could post a track to 75 different groups, and back then people would listen to groups and I got plays and even label solicitations from this. Then in late 2012, the new soundcloud didn't feature groups at all, and then it never really recovered. Every now and then I try to post to groups, but I get maybe one or two plays per week from them so definitely not worth the effort.

Is hearthis got some similar group feature where people actually listen??
there is something VERY interesting about plays. if you search the top trending artists in SC. you will find mediocre tracks with basically generic layouts. but if you look closer at the dates of the track upload, and the comments, you will see them to appear completely fresh & recent. which is very puzzling to me. it seems the only main sites for big label promotion are vevo, & beatport & itunes. no one seems to have caught on to bandcamp really.

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #47
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31460

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post
no one seems to have caught on to bandcamp really.
Quote:
Fans have paid artists $117 million using Bandcamp, and $3.1 million in the last 30 days alone.
Somebody must be using it.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to badmotor
Nystagmus (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #48
saneliv
Knob Twiddler
saneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond reputesaneliv has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2760

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoxygen View Post
there is something VERY interesting about plays. if you search the top trending artists in SC. you will find mediocre tracks with basically generic layouts. but if you look closer at the dates of the track upload, and the comments, you will see them to appear completely fresh & recent. which is very puzzling to me.
That's because of robots and paying for plays and manufactured comments. I have read a couple of interesting articles on it, and basically this seemed to work as a strategy for EDM artists since the more plays you got, the more prominent you seemed and the more likely the gatekeepers were to pay attention to you... I guess same way black-hat SEO works... except much worse since it tends to destroy soundcloud's credibility as a platform for listeners....
saneliv is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #49
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I think it might survive also. I recently came back to it, and at least it doesn't fail during uploads as much as it used to. And it's still the only place where you can host lossless audio AND lossy audio and have all of it be publicly playable with or without registration.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #50
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31460

http://www.factmag.com/2015/08/12/so...that-they-own/

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #51
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO
MC Status: 2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmotor View Post
but also they updated the news on that

Quote:
Update: SoundCloud has restored Radar Radio’s account. We’re not what the reasons are yet, but you can browse its shows again here. Several FACT readers have responded to this article saying that they have also had their original music removed from the platform.

------------------
Try a DIY platform that posts to Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Beatport
and promo outlets all from a central dashboard. No label required.
Try it out at junglepress.org | Read what others are saying on IDMf
rinseit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #52
rinseit
Microknight
rinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond reputerinseit has a reputation beyond repute
Denver, CO
MC Status: 2410

people are praising mixcloud but i have not seen much traction there. The only time I see traction on other platforms besides soundcloud is if I push people there. So imo, none of the platforms provide much additional reach beyond your own existing fan base... same goes for all the retailers..

------------------
Try a DIY platform that posts to Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Beatport
and promo outlets all from a central dashboard. No label required.
Try it out at junglepress.org | Read what others are saying on IDMf
rinseit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #53
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

As PRS battles SoundCloud, what does it mean for your own music?

Quote:
PRS for Music, a UK performing rights organization, at the end of last month sued SoundCloud for copyright infringement on behalf of its members.
Interesting.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #54
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post

and massively complicated also. that's the sort of law suit that will go on for 7-8 years and get nowhere very fast, and then will most likely be granted an appeal regardless of who "wins"
i don't think it's a big threat to SC in the short term tbh and if they can sort out the other sharks biting at the them in the meantime then i think the PRS action will amount to fuck all significant for where music distribution is at in those 7-8 years
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
Nystagmus (19-09-2015)
Old 20-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #55
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

I dunno though, is hosting someone else's music for free dl or streaming really that different from doing the same with movies?
Mixcloud is licensed and pays people (from what I understand) so I'm not sure why SC should get away without licensing.
Is hosting other people's music for free enjoyment really that different from doing the same with movies or tv shows?
Companies seem pretty hot on that stuff, so why such a different attitude for music?

But from what I read it seems like the obvious solution would be for the PRS to start their own hosting site for members and be done with it.

Last edited by lolirl; 20-09-2015 at 07:19 AM..
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Nystagmus (30-09-2015)
Old 24-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #56
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

I would hope an alternative would come along, I would hope that the artist could speak up and rally against these record labels which always seem to try and stop music for profits, and I would love to do x other thing to bring forth the value of music.

Yet I doubt any musicians would do anything about it, and honestly I'd prefer less djs mixes because there is mixcloud, and other platforms for them, but I'd hope someone with the time and the will can make an alternative besides hearthis or we can have some musician rally to get what we need because we are the ones who pay them. Therefore we should demand, and what we demand they need to supply. Not the other way around.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NewWorldOrder
Nystagmus (30-09-2015)
Old 29-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #57
edisongrove
Learning The Ropes
edisongrove has a spectacular aura aboutedisongrove has a spectacular aura about
Montreal
MC Status: 160

I'm hoping something will come along that will immediately (without paid membership) allow artists to post their music for purchase and stream. Ideally something with enough of a following for artists to make some money that doesn't take such a large percent of profit (like apple or a label)
edisongrove is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #58
MusicBrane
Learning The Ropes
MusicBrane will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

There's always someone fighting for more money, but I honestly don't see soundcloud disappearing anytime soon. It satisfies a niche in the market that no other site truly satisfies yet (at least to the same degree). If soundcloud disappears from the picture, it will be a slow and steady decline and not sudden vanish.

Advertisements

MusicBrane is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote