What can you say about Dave Allison from Custom Made Music? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 29-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #21
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458
Re: What can you say about Dave Allison from Custom Made Music?

@Oatbag @RFJ @ms_
You guys made my day

Okay, now I absolutely sure I shouldn't do this. I can't say I really wanted to, tbh.

Here is the full version of his letter:
Quote:
LWPSS
Dave Allison here from Custom Made Music (Releases out from David J of Bauhaus/Love & Rockets, Peter Holmstrom of Dandy Warhols, etc). Came across some of the LWPSS tracks and really enjoy them. "#003153" is my favorite so far. I'm working on our Summer sampler CD and I'd like to include one of your tracks on it. It's set for release the 3rd week of June. The sampler will feature music from all of the upcoming Custom Made Music releases. The sampler will also feature tracks from bands we like that are not on the label but we feel go well with what we are doing and are quality bands to work with. We will be making 1,000 CD's which will be sent out to specialty and college radio as well as to blogs and print media. We will also have CD's being given out at multiple summer events. I also do a weekly online mixtape that I will feature your track on as well.
We are asking for a small $65 contribution to help with mailers and the shipping of the CD's. You will receive 20 copies of the sampler to give to whoever you want. You can email us a link to files for the track or send us a hard copy CD (our address is below). Payment can be sent to us via paypal at custommademusic@gmail.com We would need the track and payment asap as the spots are filling up fast. If it's something your not into I understand but I think it be a great source of promotion for you all. Feel free to ask any questions!!! I hope all is well and to hear from you soon. Thanks Dave A.
Some info about Dave Allison:
IP: 68.10.136.42
WHOIS: whois.arin.net/rest/ip/68.10.136.42

Advertisements

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #22
lw_pss
Soundscaper
lw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MClw_pss is a savage MC
Yekaterinburg
MC Status: 528458

------------------
lw_pss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106850
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,376 Posts

That gmail email addy is super official sounding - anyone going to email? Hey Dave - here is the link to my song (insert crap song here) for the compilation. My money will be through to your paypal later this week. Will this track be satisfactory? or some bs like that. I dunno

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #24
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Anyone else find this odd?

Quote:
The sampler will also feature tracks from bands we like that are not on the label but we feel go well with what we are doing and are quality bands to work with.
We've decided to put bands, that are signed elsewhere, on this record as well just because we think they are awesome.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

It does sound a bit weird to me but maybe the industry is totally fucked and this is the only way people can operate. 'IF' they actually got the cd into say 500 label/dj/radio-station/blog/writer etc hands and the rest passed on to music fans then that might not be a bad investment at $65. I do realize that $65 varies depending on where you live in the world but in the UK its not a huge amount and I still wouldn't risk it!!!

I can't help feeling that the guys offering a 'one-time only' deal and is hoping to get as many takers as possible.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #26
unklekeithy
Learning The Ropes
unklekeithy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

It's a total sham.
You wanna know what Dave Allison's Samplers are?
They are shipped to you in DVD cases.
None of the CDS have ID3 tags or track info.
They are CDs that have no labels whatsoever on them.
Blank green CDRs that are burned himself.
The covers of the DVDs are made in a fucking Staples or some shit like that by him.
THIS IS WHAT YOUR MONEY GETS YOU.
He's charging 60 bucks a band to appear on the sampler.
You can buy 5 DVD cases for a buck at the dollar store.
You can buy 1,000 CDRs for about 200 bucks.
Quite a nice racket, don't ya think?
unklekeithy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #27
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekeithy View Post
It's a total sham.
You wanna know what Dave Allison's Samplers are?
They are shipped to you in DVD cases.
None of the CDS have ID3 tags or track info.
They are CDs that have no labels whatsoever on them.
Blank green CDRs that are burned himself.
The covers of the DVDs are made in a fucking Staples or some shit like that by him.
THIS IS WHAT YOUR MONEY GETS YOU.
He's charging 60 bucks a band to appear on the sampler.
You can buy 5 DVD cases for a buck at the dollar store.
You can buy 1,000 CDRs for about 200 bucks.
Quite a nice racket, don't ya think?
Do you have personal experience with this fuckwad?

(As in, him being the fuckwad. Not you.)
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #28
unklekeithy
Learning The Ropes
unklekeithy is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Do you have personal experience with this fuckwad?

(As in, him being the fuckwad. Not you.)
Yes…Only I wasn't dumb enough to give him 60 bucks.
unklekeithy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #29
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekeithy View Post
Yes…Only I wasn't dumb enough to give him 60 bucks.
Oh, I see. I kind of want to check this guy's site / shit out if you happen to have a link. I remember this thread and I thought it was odd that someone bumped it, but now I see why
Old 16-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #30
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029791
Thanked 7,247 Times in 4,504 Posts

er...it's a sampler not a release.
Sounds like this guy is just doing promotion to me.
Lots of magazines have worked like this for years. If you want to get on the cover (sampler) cd you have to take out an ad in the magazine (usually at least half a page) and it's usually more than $65, although they may have more than 1000 in circulation.

I'd say for $65 you should probably give it a go if you're interested. Although perhaps try to find out how many bands are going to be on the cd in total, and then multiply that by 20 to see how many of the 1000 cd's are just getting shipped to bands like you who will give the cd's away to their friends and not to anyone likely to offer you anything.

If there's 20 bands on the cd that's $1100 he's raising, presuming he charges them all $65, and the number of cd's going out to helpful contacts is now reduced to 600.
Also ask for their mailing list of contacts so that you can follow up later with emails to the people supposedly getting a copy.

What have you got to lose? A couple of hours pay is no big deal, you'd spend that on travel doing one gig, not exactly a bank-breaking investment into your band.

Last edited by lolirl; 16-11-2013 at 11:03 AM..
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #31
publictransport
Learning The Ropes
publictransport is currently spamming hard

I had an experience with Dave Allison! To let everyone know exactly how it panned out, I'm going to share my email chain here:

He wrote to me 3/4/2012:
Quote:
Dave Allison here from Custom Made Music (David J of Bauhaus/Love & Rockets, Peter Holmstrom of Dandy Warhols, Black Nite Crash, The Sky Drops etc). Came across some of the Public Transport songs and really enjoy them. I'd like to include one of your tracks on our upcoming Spring sampler CD. It will feature music from all of the Spring Custom Made Music releases including tracks from Screen Vinyl Image, Last Remaining Pinnacle, Free Electric State, Cult Of Dom Keller and more. The sampler will also feature tracks from bands we like that are not on the label but we feel go well with what we are doing and are quality bands to work with. We will be making 2,000 CD's which will be sent out to specialty and college radio as well as to blogs and print media. We will also have CD's available during multiple Festivals in April including the Mid Atlantic College Radio Conference in Harrisonburg VA, The Move Music Fest in Albany NY and Austin Psych Fest in Austin TX. And of coarse there will be CD's available to bands to give out at shows.

We are asking for a small $65 contribution to help with mailers and the shipping of the CD's. You can email us a link to files for the track or send us a hard copy CD (our address is below). Payment can be sent to us via paypal at custom made music at gmail dot comWe would need the track and payment asap as the spots are filling up fast. If it's something your not into I understand but I think it be a great source of promotion for you all. Feel free to ask any questions!!! I hope all is well and to hear from you soon. Thanks Dave A.
My response:

Quote:
Hi Dave,

That sounds really cool, and I would love to participate! Just sent you the $65 via (REDACTED)
I wasn't sure if there was one track in particular you were interested in, but my personal favorite is "I Want, You Want". I uploaded a WAV version, you can download it here: link

It's a pleasure to work with you!
His response, 3/4/2012:

Quote:
Duncan

Happy to have you on board with this project. "I Want, You Want" will be a perfect track to use for this. I appreciate the contribution and you uploading the wave file. I'll be in touch with how everything is coming along. I hope all is well.
Thanks Dave A.
I wrote again, 4/6/2012:
Quote:
Hi Dave! I was wondering if you had a release date set for the Spring Sampler?
Cheers,
-Duncan
I wrote again, 5/8/2012:

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Duncan Bailey of Public Transport here. Wondering what the status was so far on the Custom Made spring sampler?
He replied, 5/8/2012:

Quote:
Hey it will be ready in ust a couple weeks. I'll have copies sent to you then. Excited about it for sure. Thanks Dave A.
I write again, 6/8/2012:

Quote:
Hey Dave,

It's been a while and I wanted to know what the status of the spring sampler is. Are you waiting on the manufacturer? Were you able to get enough funds together to do the run? It's fine if it's not going to happen, but if that's the case I'd like to have my money back. Just let me know!

My address here is: {REDACTED}
This went on for about a year, but I don't have the rest of the emails because they were sent from a Facebook account that I've since deleted. He eventually said that the sampler was out, and that it was in the mail, but I never received it. I asked in some relevant Facebook groups if the sampler had ever come out, and some people had gotten copies of an older Custom Made Music sampler but nobody had gotten the 2012 one. I finally messaged Dave and told him flat out that it was pretty clear the sampler wasn't coming out, and he refunded me within a day.

So that's that. It's not an outright scam, and I believe he wanted to put out a sampler, but he wasn't able to pull it off and he did, in the end, give me my money back.
publictransport is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #32
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard

Plot twist: one of us is Dave Allison

Advertisements